Who will win the senatorial election in Massachusetts ?

maporsche

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:18 pm
This is good news.

America has a chance at voting this bill down and rewritting something that doesn't include bribes and payoffs.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:21 pm
@JPB,
I am not feeling so good any more... the white working suburbs when pretty solidly for Brown.

The race will tighten... but that is a big gap.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
71% of the precincts in now and a 6.6% lead. It's not even close.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:22 pm
AP projects Brown is the WINNER!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:23 pm
@maporsche,
I half agree with you Ma,

They do have a chance at voting this bill down... but with Republicans having the 40 votes they need to block everything, there is zero chance of "rewriting" anything.

It is either reconciliation, or nothing get's passed (unless they decide to just put the Senate Bill through).
Irishk

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:24 pm
NBC: Coakley has called Brown to concede.
oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:25 pm
AP Calls Massachusetts for Brown

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100120/ap_newsalert/us_apnewsalert_15
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:26 pm
@Irishk,
Damn Irish... how do you get news so quick.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:27 pm
@Irishk,
Great day to be conservative and a republican! I'm pleased by a number of Democrat Congressman conceding that they now must rethink their methods and policies in Washington. Hopefully, Obama gets the same message.
JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:28 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

I saw Gibbs, too. Surprised, frustrated and 'not pleased' is how he described Obama.

It bothers me that he's surprised. If he's surprised then he has no idea how big an issue the economy is with voters.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:28 pm
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

Hopefully, Obama gets the same message.

If not, he'll get another one in November.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:29 pm
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

Great day to be conservative and a republican! I'm pleased by a number of Democrat Congressman conceding that they now must rethink their methods and policies in Washington. Hopefully, Obama gets the same message.

I wouldn't bet on that.

Quote:
Why Coakley Losing Won’t Matter That Much

Everything I’m hearing points toward a Coakley loss. If you want to simultaneously infuriate yourself, and also console yourself that this isn’t substantively that big a deal, read this:

Quote:
Even before the votes are counted, Senator Evan Bayh is warning fellow Democrats that ignoring the lessons of the Massachusetts Senate race will “lead to even further catastrophe” for their party. [...] “It’s why moderates and independents even in a state as Democratic as Massachusetts just aren’t buying our message,” he said. “They just don’t believe the answers we are currently proposing are solving their problems. That’s something that has to be corrected.” [...] “ The only we are able to govern successfully in this country is by liberals and progressives making common cause with independents and moderates,” Bayh said. “Whenever you have just the furthest left elements of the Dem party attempting to impose their will on the rest of the country " that’s not going to work too well.”

Infuriated yet?

Okay. Now just consider that the guy who said this is one of the 60 Democratic votes. Suppose Coakley surprises everyone and squeaks out a narrow victory. Does this sound to you like Evan Bayh will jump for joy and start talking about how eager he is to vote for a cap-and-trade bill or a comprehensive immigration reform? Not to me it doesn’t. And that’s not a new sentiment from him. And he’s far from the only one. Scott Brown joining the Senate will make it impossible to make big progress on the big issues facing the country. But a number of “centrist” Democrats have been making it clear for a while now that they don’t want to make big progress on the big issues facing the country. That’s too bad, and Brown winning will only make things worse. We’re much more likely looking at a situation where Brown’s victory becomes an excuse for people not to do things they didn’t want to do anyway than a situation where Brown’s victory is the actual reason those things can’t be done.

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/

Certainly no reason to be happy tonight, if you're a Dem; but we'll still manage to get some stuff done.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:30 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
... but with Republicans having the 40 votes they need to block everything, there is zero chance of "rewriting" anything.

Unless they actually choose to listen and incorporate some of the Republican's ideas.

I'm pissed that we're not going to get single payer, or a public option, but if those two things are off the table, then one has to admit that of the remaining ideas, the republicans have some good ones.
djjd62

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:33 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

NBC: Coakley has called Brown to concede.

yeah, but what has the supreme court said
0 Replies

maporsche

@maporsche,
LOL....a few people have voted down my post. I guess they must support bribes and payoffs.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

@maporsche,
Quote:
I'm pissed that we're not going to get single payer, or a public option, but if those two things are off the table, then one has to admit that of the remaining ideas, the republicans have some good ones.

And which ones would those be, specifically?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Certainly no reason to be happy tonight, if you're a Dem; but we'll still manage to get some stuff done.

if dems want to save their jobs they will get a new to-do list. I know that congressional democratic leadership is primarily comprised of hacks, but even they will get the message that the American people don't approve of their work to date.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:36 pm
Putting one more Republican Senator in Washington isn't going to fix the problems with Washington and politics as usual.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:37 pm
next time around everyone has to vote the write in candidate

none of the above
JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:39 pm
@djjd62,
That reminds me of Sister Boom-Boom (nun of the above) who was on the San Fransisco ballot many years ago. I'm sure s(he) would do as good a job as the folks we have in Washington.
0 Replies