Who will win the senatorial election in Massachusetts ?

JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Yeah, I was digging around trying to find Brown's position on spending and regulation. I don't throw anyone into a bucket based on their party. I'm more interested in his opinions and positions on the issues.
maporsche

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:56 pm
@Irishk,
Of course they are sending a message.

Any belief otherwise is delusional.
djjd62

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:57 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Of course they are sending a message.

don't want no reds, under my bed
JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:59 pm
@djjd62,
or "pin up boys" for some voters

Quote:
Recalling that Brown once posed nude for Cosmopolitan magazine, Kaitlin Addams, 50, said she reluctantly voted for Coakley "to make sure the pinup boy doesn't get into office. I don't like his stand on issues. He's an extreme conservative."

Conversely, Elizabeth Reddin, 65, voted for Brown because she said she was turned off by the Democrat's negative advertisements, saying: "The Coakley stuff was disgusting."
0 Replies

maporsche

@djjd62,
Do you think that the very high turnout and the fact that Brown one doesn't send a message?
Irishk

@maporsche,
She interviewed Howard Dean a few minutes later and he agreed with Matthews (voters sending message). He also informed her there was little to no "insurance reform" in the current bill and thinks maybe they should scrap it and start over.
djjd62

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 09:02 pm
@maporsche,
your voting system mystifies me to no end

but of course it sent a message, just like the last presidential election sent a message

it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the dems lost every election in the next round
Cycloptichorn

@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Yeah, I was digging around trying to find Brown's position on spending and regulation. I don't throw anyone into a bucket based on their party. I'm more interested in his opinions and positions on the issues.

He appears to be Republican party boilerplate on every issue I can find, other than Abortion and gay marriage (no contest with both).

Hell, his personal life story is light-years better than Coak's, after reading more about him I like him better then her myself, if it wasn't for his direct opposition to myself on some issues.

Cycloptichron
maporsche

@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

your voting system mystifies me to no end

That makes two of us (at least)...I really want a viable 3rd party.
JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 09:03 pm
I'm not seeing how he's such an "extreme" conservative but I'm still looking.

He supports reproductive rights and may have won that issue with moderates because of this:

Quote:
In the primary race for the Senate, Coakley, typically a cautious campaigner, took an unusually bold campaign stance by declaring that she would rather vote down a national health care bill than accept new restrictions on abortion. Hailed nationally by abortion rights groups, she was cast as a leading crusader for their cause. But that uncompromising stance threatened to alienate some voters.
JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 09:04 pm
@maporsche,
Probably not in my lifetime, but the day will come someday.
0 Replies

djjd62

@maporsche,
i think until the economy turns around and your foreign policy problems get sorted, you guys might be in for a long string of message sending elections

or a viable third party shakes up the existing two

0 Replies

JPB

@Cycloptichorn,
Yeah, I'm kinda liking the pin up boy too.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 09:07 pm
@Irishk,
Nevertheless Rachel's demonstrated powers in developing convoluted and highly contrived rationalizations, and doing so while maintaining that pseudo earnest look on her face is truly formidable.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 09:08 pm
@JPB,
He also voted for the 2006 Mass. Healthcare plan.

He seems to be an independent thinker.

And being that I'm opposing the current healthcare plan in congress, I'm very happy today.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 09:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Yeah, he seems like a social liberal, fiscal conservative. My kinda guy.
Irishk

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 09:12 pm
@JPB,
My 86 year-old grandmother likes the pin up boy...and his pin up LOL!! (Rachel showed it several times tonight)!
maporsche

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 09:14 pm
@JPB,
Yeah, same here.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 09:15 pm
@Irishk,
That's funny!
okie

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 09:17 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

It will be a longer night if the Democrat trails badly, so that ACORN can find more votes.

Coakley trailing by over 110,000 votes with 95% of precincts in. I think we can begin to hope now, I don't even think ACORN or the Democratic machine can manufacture that many votes now. But its not over until the fat lady sings. The Democrats will now work even harder on devising any crooked way they can find to delay his swearing in. Count on that. Unless more Democrats begin to abandon the machine. The machine is developing some severe squeaks, bad bearings, and problems, it is not running as smoothly. If the ship begins to go down, the rats will run.