Who will win the senatorial election in Massachusetts ?

parados

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 06:50 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

It will be a longer night if the Democrat trails badly, so that ACORN can find more votes.

I'm counting on it okie.. I bought Coakly at 17 today on intrade. Not a bad return, it pays 100 on the win you seem to think will happen.

Odds are already changing and Coakly is moving up before ACORN has even had a chance to count a single vote.

(I wonder who told okie that Acorn counts votes in MA? Hannity perhaps?)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 06:50 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I find your overuse of the word "justifiable" amusing.

You are also confusing predicting the future (which is, as you say, difficult) with predicing the past (which is not so difficult).

There is a strong scientific consensus that there is now measurable global warming. There is a just as strong scientific consensus that this global warming which has happened is caused in significant part by human activity. (I don't know if you accept either of these facts, but they are both widely accepted across the scientific community).

In my understanding... it is the predictions about what this means for the future that have uncertainty.

But... let's get back on topic.

I agree with all that. The consensus in fact states that there is a likelihood that the observed 0.5deg C warming in the last century is partly the result of manmade GHG emissions. That however is a very far cry from the catastrophe scenarios regarding ice melts; runaway warming; and disrupted thermohaline currents; etc used to irrationally justify the forced dislocation of about 20% of the world's economic capacity. THAT is indeed based on unjustifiable predictions.

I do take note of your use of the argument from authority.
parados

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 06:52 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
That however is a very far cry from the catastrophe scenarios regarding ice melts; runaway warming; and disrupted thermohaline currents; etc used to irrationally justify the forced dislocation of about 20% of the world's economic capacity. THAT is indeed based on unjustifiable predictions.

Boy, I would hate to see you judge Cheney's 1% doctrine as justification for going into Iraq.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 06:52 pm
@georgeob1,
It is never irrational to be conservative with our spaceship's life support system. Never.

In fact, the opposite is true: the radical notion that we need not concern ourselves with the viability of our life support system is irrational in the extreme.

Cycloptichorn
ebrown p

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 07:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
InTrade has crashed... it happened just after the polls closed.

I wonder what that means lol.

((The early results look good to me))

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 07:27 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

InTrade has crashed... it happened just after the polls closed.

I wonder what that means lol.

((The early results look good to me))

Yeah, I was just trying to go there meself!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 07:46 pm
Ray Flynn, former Boston mayor and life-long Democrat just said on the radio that he voted for Scott Brown.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 07:47 pm
this just in

http://haysvillelibrary.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dewey-beats-truman1.jpg
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 07:48 pm
I have been following a blog by Karen Tumulty of Time who cites an article from another journalist posted at 5:30 pm about "recriminations start before the polls close."
Highlights:
President Obama is "surprised and frustrated" by close race.
Spokesman Robt Gibbs says Coakley should have alerted them earlier re status of race.
A Coakley political memo blames national Dems for not getting involved "until much too late and says her poor showing is attributable to issues like health care and the war in Afghan.
A senior Dem official calls her campaign "...the worst debacle in American political history," and doubles down with "...the worst case of political malpractice in history."
JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 07:53 pm
@realjohnboy,
Sounds like the finger pointing is in full swing.

Brown has a 5+% lead with 36% of the precincts reporting.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 07:54 pm
didn't martha coakley die about 35 years ago, i heard she was killed by a kennedy cousin
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 07:55 pm
Ted must be spinning in his grave.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 07:57 pm
Not looking great for Coakley...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 07:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
I saw Gibbs, too. Surprised, frustrated and 'not pleased' is how he described Obama.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:01 pm
I'm not sure who I want to win. From what I read I don't like the democrat. I don't excoriate the republican (but as in cell pathology, one looks at the company a blast keeps... but that can go both ways). It is possible I'd pick Brown, but I'd have to figure if that was about personality.

I don't know re what I want with the health care bill. I'm for single payer as a start. Is something better than nothing? I'm not sure. It seems to me there is a whole lot of infrastructure in the way of sanity.

At the same time I say that, I can see the points Atul Gawunde made, re market placement and wise choices , and not single payer, or single payer plus. No links, I've given them a few times before.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:01 pm
Radio news: Brown is even leading in Coakley's home county.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:04 pm
Some early results from places I was told to watch. But I don't know what I am looking for.
Cambridge 88% to 11 % Coakley
Lowell 66% to 32%
Newton 68% to 32%
Boston 59% to 40% (where I was told to watch "white areas").
I reckon these-at least the 1st 3-are heavily Dem where Coakley HAS to do well.
Irishk

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:11 pm
65% reporting, Brown leads by 7.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
6% overall lead for Brown with 63% of the precincts reporting. That's an awful big gap to make up with nearly 2/3 of the votes in.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:15 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

6% overall lead for Brown with 63% of the precincts reporting. That's an awful big gap to make up with nearly 2/3 of the votes in.

2/3rds of the precincts reporting, not the votes in. So it's a little better.

But I don't think that Coak is gonna win anyway.

Cycloptichorn