Boss Hitting on me?

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:56 pm
My Boss has asked me some questions that I think are a little strange

1. where were you at around 6, I thought I saw your car at a red light in town?
2. Who are you talking to on the phone ( this happened twice)
3. Do I look old?
4. Said that he had an "affect" on women I ran into the end of his desk on an accident and he chalked it up to his "affect" wanted me to admit it, second time something else happend and he went in to the same "effect" thing and I just blew it off and wlaked out and he called out after me " Is that a yes?" I said "NO!"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 17 • Views: 9,392 • Replies: 123

View best answer, chosen by ladyinpink
Pemerson

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:17 pm
@ladyinpink,
When he asked you "Where were you at around 6?" you could have asked "Why do you inquire about my whereabouts?"
When he asked, "Who are yu talking t on the phone?" you could have answered, again, with a question, "Why do you want to know?"
And, "Do I look old?" you could have asked, "Why ask me? Do you think you look old?"

Throw the ball back in his court! Fish around, ask yourself, "Is this man a nut, or is he just lonely, lost, stupid, or merely trying to start a conversation?
Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:20 pm
@ladyinpink,
Usually if we feel someone is hitting on us it's because they are.

Here are some answers if it happens again:
1. where were you at around 6, I thought I saw your car at a red light in town?
Why do you ask?

2. Who are you talking to on the phone ( this happened twice)
---- Is this during business hours? He's allowed to ask if you are on his time.
If not, tell him something like:
"I'm making a doctor's appointment to have a bunion removed."

3. Do I look old?
"You look good considering your age."

4. Said that he had an "affect" on women I ran into the end of his desk on an accident and he chalked it up to his "affect" wanted me to admit it, second time something else happend and he went in to the same "effect" thing and I just blew it off and wlaked out and he called out after me " Is that a yes?" I said "NO!"
"I'm a little off balance after all the sex my boyfriend and I had last night" - Ok, not that, but how about: "Do you think you make women clumsy? I think it's just that I need to have my eyes checked."

If it continues you might have to confront him and tell him you are flattered by his interest but prefer to keep your relationship as business only. Gentle rejection sometimes works. If he gets more aggressive you may have to contact his superiors (if there are any) or remind him that sexual harassment is illegal.

oolongteasup

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:21 pm
@ladyinpink,
ynot your gorgeous, just set him straight as you would any other friend
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:22 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson and I are on the same wave. I think we've both been there and done that.
0 Replies

ladyinpink

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:37 pm
@Green Witch,
No, the phone calls where not even at work. I was in the store and he ran into me when I was looking at stockings for work... awkward enough as that was. and he asked me who I was talking on the phone with the next day at work and the other time was when i was at lunch.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:42 pm
@ladyinpink,
I think he is crossing the lines here. Continue to remain cool towards him, don't let yourself get angry or you might say something you will regret. You might have to confront him if he continues to make you uncomfortable and you will need to do so in a professional and firm manner. Hopefully, he will not be a jerk about it and just back off when he realizes you are not interested.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:43 pm
@ladyinpink,
He needs to meet your boyfriend Bruno...
Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:46 pm
@Rockhead,
Maybe photoshop a picture of herself and some stud to adorn her desk. Although if the guy is jerk, it won't stop him.
0 Replies

ladyinpink

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:50 pm
he doesn't like the attention that the mail guy gives me when he comes into the office.

he said that it didn't need any "agging" if that's even really a word.

my boss is 25 years older than I am.. and I was thinking that maybe he was trying to be fatherlt to me, but he isn't my dad and he shouldn't really ask me questions like he does.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:51 pm
@ladyinpink,
fatherly is not what he's acting.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:55 pm
@ladyinpink,
He's not being fatherly, he's flirting. The problem with flirting is that it becomes harassment. You will have to decide if the job is worth the headache of dealing with him. If it escalates you can press charges, but it's very time consuming and you will have to collect evidence. Try telling him he is making you uncomfortable and see what happens.
0 Replies

ladyinpink

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:00 pm
I have thought about having a talk with him. I just don't want to make a big deal out of something if he really isn't trying to make a move on me. I do not want him to even think that I KNOW what he may possibly be doing.. if that makes since?

This man is very smart and well respected in the small town I live in and has a wife and kids that are grown.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:05 pm
@ladyinpink,
I understand, but your ignoring it will not make it go away if he is determined to get your attention. You would have to say something at a moment in which he is making you uncomfortable. Since he has a wife it gives you the opportunity to remind him of it by just saying "So how are your wife and kids doing?". I hope is very smart and takes the hint.
ladyinpink

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:19 pm
@Green Witch,
I did something like this a few months ago. his wife called the office and I didn't say her first name like I usually does when she calls I said that it was his wife and he said "put her on hold" she can wait. he wasn't even doing anything we were all talking.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:46 pm
He will continue to provoke you as long as he sees that he's getting a reastion.

Just smile at him and walk away when he asks you personal questions. Act like you didn't even hear him. Detach and dismiss.

If he continues his flirting, then it could be harassment. Start writing down things - dates and times and his remarks. You may need them in the future. As your boss, he has some control over you and he may use it if he doesn't get what he wants.

hopefully, he will move to another woman when he realizes that you don't respond to his remarks.

Jerk.

Mame

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:52 pm
You need to listen to the others and stop this in the bud right now. I have been harassed at work many times and believe me, if you don't set the right tone with him (that it's not welcome), it will continue. He sounds like one of those men who don't listen.

When he says, "Was that you at the red light?" roll your eyeballs and say, "How the hell would I know?"

When he asks who you were talking to on the phone, say "My phone conversations are personal and are none of your business."

When he says he has that effect on women, say "I doubt that very much" and laugh as you walk off.

Really, STOP this in the BUD. It will only get worse. Be rude. Be consistent. Be strong. Walk away.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:54 pm
@sullyfish6,
I agree except I wouldn't smile - I would raise my eyebrows and give him a cold look. This is unwelcome and unasked for behaviour. She needs to slap him with a look and a cold remark.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:14 pm
Are you working for a big enough company that they have an HR department?

Assuming you are in the US, most companies with more than 20 or so employees have set guidelines for dealing with these situations. Regardless of the size of the company there are pretty strong legal protections if you make a complaint.

That being said-- I would assume the best. Why not give him a chance to change his behavior (as he might if he knows you are uncomfortable). If he is not a jerk, the problem will just resolve itself. If someone at work approached me directly saying that my behavior was making them uncomfortable, I would appreciate the directness and would work to make things better.

Is there an opportunity to just tell him directly he is making you uncomfortable (this is easier if you are secure knowing there is a policy in place)?

On the other hand, tf you make a formal written complaint-- it makes it much harder for him to fire you. If there is a good HR department, you can make such a complaint without him knowing, getting it on the record without it escalating to affect your working environment.
0 Replies

ladyinpink

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:35 pm
I work for a large company but it is a small office- he ownes the building and there are only 2 other ladies besides myself that work there.

There have been more things that have went on than just saying things too.

I asked him if I had water on my back because we were putting up supplies and my back felt like it had a wet spot on it so he looked and said that it did but that it was hardly anything.. a few moments later when we were standing out side his office he said " turn around and let me see if you have water on your back" I did and he rubbed my back up and down and said there was nothing.

Actually the list goes on and on...

I just really thought he was kind of being fatherly like something that he would have done to his girls.

I'm 20 and he is 44