Predict the NFL Super Bowl Champ. Win Big, Big Prizes*!

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 09:45 am
@sozobe,
If so, I don't like that either as a strategy.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 09:47 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

George wrote:
cheering for the Colts?

that'd be putting it a mite strongly

how about "anyone willing to acknowledge it if the Colts win?"

Yeah, that's the sense I'm getting too.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 09:57 am
Seed brought up the thing about salary caps for NFL teams.
Here is a very abbreviated summary about the NFL and money, as I understand it (with thanks to Andy/Clubber):
The idea is/was that each team would have a limit on their payroll. That would protect small market teams (like Green Bay) from having to compete with big market teams for players.
That cap on a team's wages expires after Sunday's Super Bowl, meaning that, until a new deal is worked out, teams can sign players for humongous amounts of money. Anticipating a new cap, many of those contracts (like Peyton Manning's) will call for a big, big front end payment in next season's salary capless year (2010-2011).
The NFL is in a contentious debate with the NFL Players Union regarding a new labor contract when the current one expires in 2011. Under the current contract, 59% of a team's revenues is supposed to go to salaries. The NFL wants that to drop to 41%. The two sides are at each other's throats and there is a threat that the NFL owners may shut down the league for 2011-2012.
That is our quick take.

0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 10:17 am
Gee, I sure hope all these multi-gazillionaires can solve their money problems
and avoid a lock-out.
Seed

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 01:04 pm
@George,
Here's hoping it turns into another baseball fiasco!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:27 pm
Oh when the Saints
Go straggling home
When the Saints go straggling home
Indianapolis will be celebrating
When the Saints go dragging home
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:31 pm
EA SPORTS Predicts the Super Bowl XLIV Winner!

Feb 3, 2010

Who Dat! The New Orleans Saints pull the upset and march to a victory over the Indianapolis Colts with a score of 35-31 at Super Bowl XLIV, according to our official simulation run by Madden NFL 10 on Xbox 360. The first three quarters display the offensive fireworks that both teams have become known for, with the Colts leading 24-21. A nail biting fourth quarter begins with a big play, courtesy of the Saints' special teams, when Reggie Bush returns a punt for a 42-yard touchdown. However, with minutes left in the game the duo of Joseph Addai and Peyton Manning put the Colts back on top with a go-ahead touchdown pass. With the game hanging in the balance, Drew Brees hits David Thomas for an 11-yard touchdown and the game winning score. Drew Brees takes home MVP honors as the Saints earn their first Super Bowl Championship title in franchises 46 year history.

Utilizing each team's current roster and the latest player statistics, Madden NFL 10 was able to accurately predict the outcome of both the NFC and AFC Championship games within a margin of three points for each game. EA SPORTS utilized this same simulation formula to predict the outcome of Super Bowl XLIII (Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Arizona Cardinals) with unprecedented accuracy - down to the final score and individual player statistics. EA SPORTS has correctly predicted the Super Bowl winner for five out of the last six years, since the official Madden NFL Super Bowl simulation began in 2004.

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:37 pm
@djjd62,
Thumbs up, djjd62. Great post, even though I think the Colts will win.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:41 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

EA SPORTS Predicts the Super Bowl XLIV Winner!

Feb 3, 2010

Who Dat! The New Orleans Saints pull the upset and march to a victory over the Indianapolis Colts with a score of 35-31 at Super Bowl XLIV, according to our official simulation run by Madden NFL 10 on Xbox 360.

wandeljw on January 11 wrote:
GAME #7 (2/7) New Orleans (37-30)

EA Sports used Xbox 360 and came up with almost the same prediction I did using an electric vibrating football game.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:45 pm
An elephant kicked a Colts ball between the uprights. It missed the Saints ball. Conclusion: Colts win.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
who won the bud bowl?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:58 pm
@Rockhead,
Did they already play it?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 09:24 pm
http://slatev.com/player.html?id=64790979001
Quote:
If Filmmakers Directed the Super Bowl
As the Super Bowl approaches, Slate V imagines what it might look like if major filmmakers were allowed to direct the telecast.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 11:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
Indy seems to have a problem with injuries. Dwight Freeney and now Reggie Wayne.
wandeljw

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 10:15 am
@realjohnboy,
How bad is the snow by you, realjohnboy?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 10:35 am
About 16 inches and coming down hard. I got a call from Andy/Clubber saying he and his girl friend moved into my store last night. Katie works at the UVA Med Center and is deemed "essential staff."

I see that a bunch of Brett Farve fans have rented a billboard in his off-season home in Hattiesburg MS:
"Hey #4, do Minnesota fans love ya and want you back next year? You Brettcha!"
JPB

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 10:56 am
@sozobe,
I've been trying to find a reference for this, soz. Not saying it's not out there, but I can't find it. The closest thing I found is this...

"Hargrove and company will be trying to get to Favre on Sunday the way they got to Warner, who was sacked once, hurried three times, knocked out of the game temporarily and neutralized throughout." here, which is a journalist's narrative not a quote from a player or coach.

I read a bunch of blogs and comments on other news articles with BF/Vikings fans making similar claims but I don't see anything that indicates they were setting out to rough him up. One comment I saw made me laugh... someone said the Saints play reminded them of the Raiders of the 70s and 80s. I LOVED those teams!!!!

No disrespect to Favre intended, but the reason most players aren't playing at 40 is because they're too old to stand up to rigors of the game. Hard hits are part of football. He's had a great career. He had a great year and got the Vikings to the final four - one game shy of the Super Bowl. I don't think the Saint's play was "dirty", or even crossed the line into "dirtier than necessary". I think it was a hard-hitting, highly emotional game on both sides of the ball that could have gone either way.

I still think the Vikings lost that game more than the Saints won it and they're going to have to play a hellofalot better tomorrow if they have any hope of beating the Colts.

Mr B suggested we play the The New Orleans Saints Superbowl Drinking Game

I volunteered to be the designated driver.

Here are the first 10 rules (there are 13 more):

1. Every time they mention hurricane Katrina, drink 1
2. If they show pictures of the City of New Orleans right after Katrina, drink 1
3. Every time they say how much the Saints mean to the City of New Orleans , drink 1
4. Every time the words “tragedy”, “flood”, or “devastation” are used, drink 1
5. Every time they talk about how good Reggie Bush was in college, drink 3
6. If they show Kim Kardashian in the stands, drink 5
7. Every time they show a picture of Reggie Bush with a bat or say “bringing the wood” drink for 5 seconds.
8. Every time Reggie Bush gets negative yardage trying to run
around in the backfield a bunch and outrun the defense, drink 1 and
turn to the person next to you and say “I told you Vince Young should
have won the Heisman”
9. Every time Reggie Bush gets up and flexes his arms in that pose he likes to do, drink 1
10. If they mention Tim Tebow for any reason, funnel a beer
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 11:08 am
@realjohnboy,

they conquered the mighty D of the NYJ with wayne as decoy.
i think they have enough secondary weaponry to eke it out.

i pick-ummed the colts, but wouldn't mind seeing nawlins win...
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 11:18 am
@Region Philbis,
I was wandering around ESPN a while ago. They have a poll with Indy (-5 1/2 points) vs New Orleans. The results so far:
Nationwide: Colts (55 to 45)
Louisiana: Saints (93 to 7)
Indiana: Colts (86 to 14)
Mississippi, Alabama, Nevada a few northern New England states were the only other ones going for the Saints.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 11:20 am
@realjohnboy,
Stay safe, rjb!