Predict the NFL Super Bowl Champ. Win Big, Big Prizes*!

spendius

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:58 pm
When I won the big one in which luck played a much reduced role it was greeted with a sulky silence compared to the gushing reaction to Seed's victory in the appendix.

But I expected that so I wasn't that miffed. I gloated privately.
JPB

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 06:38 pm
@LionTamerX,
LionTamerX wrote:

Congrats, Seed ! I think JPB got one hell of a consolation prize tho. Wink

Oh, yeah! I'm still reveling in the replays.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 06:40 pm
Before yall wander off now that the NFL season is over, thanks for playing this game (30 of yall) and the NFL Pick-um game (I forget how many folks were there - perhaps 20). It was fun to run these, in large part, nay, in the largest part because of the civil chatter about things totally unrelated to football. Some of us have quite differing opinions about politics etc but those were set aside here.

So what is up next? Fantasy Baseball! I am not "going public" on this on the full A2K until I can coerce someone to set up the league on Yahoo.
Registration is required on Yahoo but it is free and does not, in my experience, subject you to junk mail. You draft MLB players to be on your team (or let Yahoo do it for you) and then you get matched up against someone else here for a week's worth of games. Good for some one-on-one trash talk.
The time investment could be perhaps an hour a week making sure, for example, that you have a starting pitcher in your line up when he plays.
But it is a long season and it is a bitch when a player loses interest and stops playing.
It is not my decision but I suspect that the person setting this up will limit the league size to 12 or so (14 max). The reason is that the quality of players at certain positions drops dramatically in MLB.
My understanding is Yahoo will open up the leagues for registration this Wednesday!

Again, thanks for playing football.
Seed

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 06:41 pm
@JPB,
the 2 point conversion and the interception were part of the best parts. I wish I could get a close up on the face of the guy that touched the ball first for the Colts on the on-sides kick.
spendius

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 06:50 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Again, thanks for playing football.

The thanks is all for you Johnny. It was a privilege.

You can pull your nightie down now and go to sleep with a satisfied smile.

What about the World Cup? The USA are 80-1.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 10:39 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:
I wish I could get a close up on the face of the guy that touched the ball first for the Colts on the on-sides kick.

Here you go ...

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7027/premieretravelchannelbr.jpg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 10:53 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I gloated privately.

That's the best way to do it, spendi.

Congratulations, Seed!
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:06 pm
@Ticomaya,
So...Tico...Might you set the baseball thing up on Yahoo again this year?
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 07:37 am
@realjohnboy,
Yeppers ... just checked, and they haven't started registration yet. Any day now, it seems.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 08:33 am
So anyways ....

I'm at my son's 1st baseball practice of the season last night, brand new team ... and I strike up a conversation with another parent I'd met before -- we're both Jawhawk fans ... he used to live in Lawrence, Kansas. Anywho, we commiserated that we were missing the Kansas v. Texas matchup, due to the practice.

We're chit-chatting ... I'm talking about coaching my son's soccer team, he's talking about coaching his son's basketball team. At one point he mentions he's got a raw talent at Center, but the kid hasn't had a lot of practice and doesn't have very good fundamentals.

So I tell him I'm no basketball coach, but I could tell him one thing that really improved my basketball play, and something that I'd had success in coaching younger kids playing basketball, was a drill called the "Mikan Drill." I proceeded to explain the drill to him (how you take the ball and lay it up with your right hand on the right side of the basket, then grab the ball and immediately lay it up with your left hand on the left side of the basket, and repeat), and then I said that they named the drill "the Mikan Drill" after George Mikan. At that point, even though this guy's older than me, I'm not sure if he knows who George Mikan was ... Mikan played in the NBA back in the 40's and 50's -- he was the league's first dominant big man, led the league in scoring 6 times, and they instituted the shot clock, the "goaltending" rule, and widened the lane because of him.

He looked at me for a second, and said, "That's my dad." I say, "What?" He says again, "George Mikan's my dad."

What are the frikkin odds?

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8716/georgemikan250.jpg
Ragman

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 08:41 am
@Ticomaya,
a priceless story. Thanks for sharing it.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 12:09 pm
@Ticomaya,

kewl coinka-dink, and thanx for defining that layup drill i learned in my yoot, and have been doing for decades now...

R(still not very good going left)P
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 12:10 pm
@Ticomaya,
One ought always to discover the credentials of people one feels the urge to instruct as a general principle.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 12:39 pm
@spendius,
Indeed. I let him know how silly I felt having explained to him exactly how to do his dad's drill.
fbaezer

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 02:12 pm
OK folks, nice football season is over.
Time to move... to The A2K Fantasy Winter Olympics 2010

http://able2know.org/topic/141032-1
George

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 03:14 pm
@fbaezer,
http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/images/photos/000/817/716/96487150.jpg.19993_feature.jpg
Peyton's ready for a different game. Are you?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 03:15 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Indeed. I let him know how silly I felt having explained to him exactly how to do his dad's drill.

Did you learn from it Tico? That's the important thing. You obviously hadn't up to that point and what would you be--let's see--about 40, say.

I got it early. I seethed with rage and frustration all weekend once when I was stood-up on a Friday night, of all nights, after making all the usual preparations, and then found out her mother had had a thingy and been rushed to hospital. (I use "rushed" there metaphorically.) And I have calmed a few men down by telling them the story. The date had been made the previous Friday in one of those last moments as her bus arrived to take her to a distant place far, by our standards at the time, from my swiftly beating heart and a whole week to stew on "It's quite likely. Pwobabwy. Bye!!"

So you can see how long ago that all was. It's hard to imagine what things were like then when you are surrounded with "this".

There were no mobile phones in those days. I still don't have one. They seem so absurd. Being at everyone's beck and call unless you switch them off and having a good explanation of why. You might as well have a ball and chain.
spendius

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 03:17 pm
Watch out for the mobile phone present on your birfday or at Xmas.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 03:52 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Did you learn from it Tico? That's the important thing. You obviously hadn't up to that point and what would you be--let's see--about 40, say.

Yes, I should have asked him if he was George Mikan's kid.

Quote:
I got it early. I seethed with rage and frustration all weekend once when I was stood-up on a Friday night, ...

Can't relate. I've never been stood up.
spendius

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 04:30 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Can't relate. I've never been stood up.

Well--perhaps that is because you were such an attractive prospect to those you offered yourself to. It is certainly not something to boast about in my opinion.

I don't count the occasion I described as one were I was stood-up. Fate intervened and kept us apart for longer than I had hoped. But I have been stood-up a few times.

Quote:
Yes, I should have asked him if he was George Mikan's kid.

Your sarcasm is misplaced Tico. I was explaining a conversational principle. Never explain anything to anybody. (Never smarten up a chump--W.C. Fields). Let others explain things to you or at least until you get to know them well enough for them to tell you that Mr Mikan is their dad if such he is. Then once I knew it would save me having to talk all that stuff you said about the method Mr Mikan had invented.