Predict the NFL Super Bowl Champ. Win Big, Big Prizes*!

sozobe

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 04:41 pm
@Ticomaya,
Wow!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 04:42 pm
Opinion poll...

I saw this on TV this morning and hadn't given it any thought before then...

Payton Manning apparently left the field after the game without congratulating the winners. Some are saying it shows extremely bad sportsmanship, others are saying it's no big deal, Payton has been quoted as saying he was simply trying to let the victors enjoy their celebration.

To me, it's no big deal and I have no idea who was the first to bring attention to it. I doubt the Saints players were thinking, "Wait, wait... we have to shake Payton Manning's hand before we can celebrate."

What say you?
A) Manning is a sore loser and should have set an example of good sportsmanship.
B) Manning should be taken at his word and let those who worry about such things worry about something else.
C) Manning is probably a sore loser, but he does have a point...
D) Your thoughts that don't jibe with any of the above.

I guess I'd go with C. Protocol dictates that he be a good sport. Reality isn't always conducive to following protocol.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 04:46 pm
@JPB,
If you can't play a sport, be one.

Great life rule from a sportscaster in my hometown - he ended every broadcast with it.

Gotta be gracious in victory and in defeat.
JPB

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:04 pm
@Ticomaya,
wow, indeed.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Good one!

Manning certainly can play one. And he sure did look like a bunch of sour grapes near the end of the game.

I'm still on the fence.

He "should" have done the right thing. I'm not convinced his omission should brand him as a bad loser.

Maybe...

I dunno...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:14 pm
@JPB,

sore loser.
he already has a ring and should've shown a little class and congratted brees...
ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:19 pm
@Region Philbis,
Does U.S. football have sportsmanship awards at the end of a season?
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:22 pm
@ehBeth,

nope...

just these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:NFL_awards

the "Walter Payton Man of the Year" and ""Whizzer" White Man of the Year" awards
are more about excellence on the field coupled with community work...
ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:29 pm
@Region Philbis,
It's a big deal for hockey here. Every league from peewee on up has Most Sportsmanlike Conduct trophies each season - they're pretty desirable.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 06:03 pm
If I had been Peyton's agent I would have said "Look Peyt-you might lose--so, if you do, the best thing is to lose in a way which will get America heartsearching about bad losers. That way you'll get that dickhead Brees out of the limelight and get yourself into it. Not too blatantly but just enough to get Americans undecided."
JPB

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 06:23 pm
@spendius,
This might scare you (or me), but that thought did occur to me.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 07:17 pm
@JPB,
I vote B. Manning met one of the Saints as he was leaving the press room and congratulated him profusely. On the other side, what he said in the press room was interesting. He mentioned he got very little opportunity to handle the ball which was a not so subtle dig at his defense who allowed the Saints to own the ball for 3/4 of the game. Maybe a little frustration there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 09:54 pm
@JPB,
C - I read yesterday that Manning wanted to let the victors celebrate and that he planned to call them, or some such. I'm also used to watching the losing quarterback congratulate the winner; I think I remember it as routine, but, tv less for years now, don't trust myself on that.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:39 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Tico wrote:
Can't relate. I've never been stood up.

Well--perhaps that is because you were such an attractive prospect to those you offered yourself to. It is certainly not something to boast about in my opinion.

You're right, of course. I'll just gloat silently.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:03 am
Yahoo opened up registration for baseball late last night.
George

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 07:43 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
You're right, of course. I'll just gloat silently.

<snort>
spendius

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 08:09 am
@George,
It is very easy George to ensure that you are never stood up.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 08:47 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Yahoo opened up registration for baseball late last night.

I have taken the liberty of setting up the 2010 Triple A2K Fantasy Baseball league on Yahoo.

The link is: http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/2010triplea2k

League ID is: 162348

The live draft is set for Saturday, 3/29/10 at 3:30pm MST, which is 38 days from now.
George

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 09:06 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

It is very easy George to ensure that you are never stood up.

Good one.
Reply?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 09:09 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
The live draft is set for Saturday, 3/29/10 at 3:30pm MST, which is 38 days from now.

Oops .. the draft is Saturday, 3/20/10 at 3:30pm MST.
0 Replies