Predict the NFL Super Bowl Champ. Win Big, Big Prizes*!

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:35 pm
@JPB,
If the Saints win, JPB, you will get my "lucky" pair of socks that will have gone unwashed for 4 or 5 weeks.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:38 pm
@George,
funny eh
all that Acadian stuff appearing under false pretences
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 08:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
You're just trying to temper my enthusiasm, aren't you?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 10:20 am
@Seed,

i think it goes back to the late 80's, when the gordon gekko-like HC of the LAL pat riley decided to trademark "three-peat"...
Quote:
The Lakers did not win a third consecutive NBA championship in 1989, but the Chicago Bulls did in 1993, and Riles & Co. collected royalties from sports apparel makers who licensed the phrase for use on merchandise commemorating that accomplishment.

Riles & Co. subsequently obtained additional registrations expanding the trademark to cover many other kinds of merchandise in addition to apparel. The company then went on to reap additional profits by again licensing the phrase to merchandisers when the Bulls again won three consecutive NBA championships from 1996 through 1998, as well as when the New York Yankees won three straight World Series championships from 1998 through 2000 and when the Lakers won three straight NBA championships from 2000 through 2002.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-peat
Seed

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:11 pm
@Region Philbis,
people will do anything to con someone out of some money
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:52 pm
When you put Who dat? and the fleur de lis on the same piece of merchandise, it becomes an unmistakable reference to the Saints. Taken singly, the connection can be argued. I favor the little guy being allowed to make a little money, but I don't see how they can win.
Seed

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
Who was it that started the phrase "Who Dat" anyways?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:00 pm
@Seed,
Goes way back in history. I recall a comedy from the 1930s, in which a man says, "Who dat say who dat when I say who dat?"
Seed

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
hmm then it would seem that the NFL doesn't really have rights to it then.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:06 pm
@Seed,
the No Fun League can afford to pay their lawyers to be wrong.

mom and pops can't take that chance.

bully economics.
Seed

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:19 pm
@Rockhead,
Yea big money always wants to keep the money from the little money, even when they are just trying to get enough to survive
spendius

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:19 pm
@Seed,
Quote:
people will do anything to con someone out of some money

The category "people" includes us all Seed.

I will not do anything to con people out of some money.

When I asked why Who Dat is significant I was hardly expecting to have it explained to me that Who Dat! is Yat for Who is that? That's like asking for an explanation of relativity and being told it is a theory of Einsteins's.

No wonder Evelyn Waugh said that one of the nicest things about polite Americans was that they not only did not insist that you listen to what they are saying but neither had they any expectation of you doing so.

I might expand upon his famous remark, which I have tweaked a little in the service of progress on all fronts, like with a wave, by suggesting that there is a perfectly rational explanation for this. It is, and this is only a fanciful speculation to while away the dreary hours to kick-off time on Sunday night when I will have just laid myself in my bed after coming home from the pub and checking out Sky News and the channels where scantily dressed young ladies, for the most part, attempt to induce innocent young men to call them up on the phone at rates between 30 pence a minute, the equivalent to the dock gates, and £3. We await the revelation. We are nearly there. It's the same for Logistics as it is for all the other sciences. The increments of progress get further apart and more difficult to reach the nearer they are to the final destination. Like with finding out what happened at the Big Bang or the Missing Link , which is a profoundly out-of-date scientific activity a bit like Alchemy got to be in trying to turn mumbo-jumbo into gold. What will Seed say then at £5 a minute. Before the watershed the ladies are more modestly dressed and move less lasciviously. I don't know whether they are cheaper or not because I don't watch trash TV. Once glance was enough. Saucy underwear catalogue style.

I will have my pillows plumped and ready to watch the Superbowl. I don't expect to nod off until the Colts get 20 in front.

The rational explanation is that they don't give a damn whether anybody listens to them or otherwise. One is a mere prop in an acted drama designed to allow them to appear to be active social beings with lots of friends and greeting card lists and all the rest of it which keeps millions in work, no doubt to Johnnie's satisfaction, and Mr Obama's. I gather mobile phones are put to a similar use when people are caught in the rush hour and find themselves with nothing to do. The Great American sin.

I think of sin as that which it is unlawful to do but which the law can't legislate for and thus shame has to be associated with it, real shame I mean, a felt imperative, by a moral authority rather than in Congress. Whether it be Church or Media. These two important centres of power have locked horns on the issue of the teaching of evolution to uninformed minds by atheist teachers.

Hence, and Mr Waugh was in Hollywood for a fair while and was invited to parties a great deal, not as long as I have been on A2K, it is the avoidance of being seen or even of being thought of doing nothing that is the objective. Virtue.

It's here too as England succumbs to creeping Americanisation. Or, should I say, Americanization. There are ladies in the pub that you can talk utter gibberish to, Unwinesque gibberish, and they will nod their heads, smile from time to time, look serious etc and generally looking like they are in deep and earnest conversation. Mr Waugh was writing in the 1930s.

I don't think Col Hall expected Bilko to listen to what he said.

So I can't say I expect anyone to read this gibberish as it might entail a shame for not listening to other people and that wouldn't do at all because if what other people said was listened to it might be recognised for the bullshit it is and remarked upon. Which might bring an end to convivial evenings.

I'll give you guys a tip. If you are ever talking gibberish in a pub to a lady who is pretending to be listening don't mention food or doctors. She will hear both of those. Ladies should not mention sport or cars.

My observations tell me that people take turns at talking gibberish and pretending to listen to it up till around an hour before closing time after which there is only a rising crescendo of gibberish which fades away as the staff upend the chairs on the tables and turn the TVs off and unplug the one-armed bandits.

(They should unplug you spendi--Ed.)

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:46 pm
@spendius,
Anybody remember when the NFL got the bright idea to put Dennis Miller up there with other game hosts?

Rockhead

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:48 pm
@farmerman,
I liked Denis better'n B-B-B-Boomer.

or Kornheister for that matter.

(at least it was entertaining)

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:48 pm
@farmerman,
Yea, Miller was painful to watch.
Evelyn Waugh might have worked.
Seed

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:53 pm
@realjohnboy,
Why was Miller painful to watch? Other then the fact that when ever I have seen him on TV that he just seems to stare dead eyed into the camera.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:57 pm
When Dennis was on there, I muted the sound.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:15 pm
@Seed,
Quote:
Yea big money always wants to keep the money from the little money, even when they are just trying to get enough to survive

Well- I don't think the railroads or the turnpikes would have got built if that wasn't the way Big Money is. And a founding principle on which Capitalism is built. And America. The UK too. And your luxurious and self-indulgent life-styles which can by no stretch be said to be not getting enough to survive.

You're appealing to the basest sentiments of the masses Seed on behalf of Little Money which is the very last thing they need irrespective of what they want when they haven't thought it through.

Anyway--the USSC knocked Little Money down only last week. Mr Obama is already talking about being a one-term President. He knows he won't be able to energise Little Money next time.

How would Little Money ever arrange a Superbowl?
Seed

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:20 pm
@spendius,
They wouldn't. That's why they are Little Money. They don't want to. They just want their piece of the pie. Which they are entitled to. Big Money thinks that the whole pie is theirs and does their best to make sure that even the smallest crumb is on their plate and gobbled up soon.
Ragman

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Dat%3F

0 Replies