Predict the NFL Super Bowl Champ. Win Big, Big Prizes*!

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 05:38 pm
@Seed,
Seed, I deliberately crafted my post so as to not mention the content of the ad. We here play despite our having very different opinions on the various political or social issue threads.
My point was about the change in advertising strategy that CBS is adopting. I did not intend to pull anything else into this thread.
Seed

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 05:42 pm
@realjohnboy,
My apologizes. I was not trying to start an argument left or right of the statement. I was just trying to add to the previous post.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 06:05 pm
@Seed,
Quote:
There is already a big fuss about this. Apparently a woman's group is up in arms as the ad conveys an anti-abortion message.

Well-- the "woman's group" is free to take space to promote its pro-abortion message isn't it?

CBS "scrounging around for its next meeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaluh." Eh?

Don't we all?
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 06:10 pm
@mysteryman,
Hang in there, pard. I haven't rolled a rig in thirty years, and haven't missed it a damned bit. I didn't have to deal with a cop car, at least. A semi with a hundred-fool cable came by and pulled my truck back onto the road, and that was after several other folks came by and helped me change the right front tire (while the outfit was still on its left side), lifted the vet box back into the bed, and pushed the truck back onto all four wheels. At that point, someone else gave the Miz a ride home (only a little over sixty miles) and I drove the truck back. Since it was totalled with both windshields knocked out and the roof caved in close to two feet, the drive back home with the wind blowing through the cab at single-digit temperatures was less than cozy. But I didn't have to deal with a cop car. I called the sheriff the next day, and a deputy came down and looked at the truck in my garage. He shook his head and left. Today, he and I are both county commissioners here. Not sure exactly what significance that has, but that's the way it is.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 07:14 pm
Quote:
NEW ORLEANS " As the Saints’ appearance in their first Super Bowl gets closer, the marketplace is being flooded with Saints merchandise and memorabilia as businesses are looking to cash in on the euphoria, but the NFL is cracking down on the use of their trademarks, including the iconic phrase “Who Dat.”

But who really owns “Who Dat”? Does anyone? Who is a “Who Dat?” What is a “Who Dat?” Who owns the phrase, “Who Dat?”

They’re all questions Fleurty Girl t-shirt shop owner Lauren Thom is being forced to answer.

“The NFL is not a company that I want to rock the boat with, but I definitely want to look into it further to see what my rights are,” Thom said.

Two weeks ago, Thom got a cease and desist order from the NFL.

http://www.whodatnation.com/2010/01/28/843/

I know a Whole Lot of Angry Saints fans right now.
Seed

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 07:17 pm
@JPB,
Instead of it being called a cease and desist order it should be called "hey little guy, stop trying to make any money into days shitty economy"
JPB

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 07:25 pm
@Seed,
Ah -- they're also going after the use of the fleur-de-lis...

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS | As the Saints march toward the Super Bowl, there's a chill in the midst of the Who Dat Nation. The National Football League has issued cease and desist orders to various local merchants, including infractions as small as a fleur de lis in the middle of the "o" in #whodat. When you're covering something this important to the city, you go to the source. As far as trademarks for “WhoDat?” is concerned, that’s Sal & Steve Monistere.

Steve recorded the Who Dat chant in 1983, and using that chant, he recorded the original "Who Dat" single with members of the Saints offensive line and singer Aaron Neville. Then, together, the Monistere brothers immediately embarked on one of the most ingenious marketing campaigns in sports history. And the Who Dat Nation was born.

Steve Monistere, a founding member of New Orleans' own party band The Topcats, read about the recent NFL actions regarding the use of Who Dat on NewOrleans.com. "I had heard about the cease and desist, and had seen this article," Monistere said. When reading the online user comments, he mentioned that "the third from the top is right on." (That comment describes the Monistere's hit song and the registration for trademarks of Who Dat).

Intellectual property is a thorny issue, and WhoDat?, Inc. has dealt with it often over the years. As trademark owners, the Monistere’s are not arguing whether or not a trademark has to be protected, but they do take issue with the way the NFL is going after small local business in a difficult economic time.

"Sure, a fleur de lis can belong to the Saints, but in very specific usage, and everybody knows what that is," Monistere explained. "If you go back to 1967, to date, they have registered and used the fleur de lis in a very specific way. They put it on the Saints helmet and on the Saints ‘shield.’ Its colors are very specific " they’re ‘old gold and black.’ But for the NFL to expand that definition and say that no matter what color and what style of fleur de lis, if you put it on an item, it means Saints, it is, as many believe, is just not correct. The fleur de lis belongs to everyone including the people of New Orleans.more
Seed

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 07:33 pm
@JPB,
Poor Boy Scouts... bout to loss their symbol Sad
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 07:36 pm
@Seed,
Think of the poor Catholic Church and its "holy Trinity" symbol. They wont be able to suck in your pinienzies for a Holy Trinity Tee Shirt.

Also, the fleur de lis is the odfficial symbol of Mardi Gras in Nawlins (when its in gold, green and pruple)
Seed

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 07:38 pm
@farmerman,
I don't understand how the NFL can take something and call dibs on it when it is so widely used
spendius

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:24 am
@farmerman,
Take a closer and more artistic view of it fm.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:30 am
Kind of ironic that "Who Dat?" would be considered intellectual property.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 09:59 am
@farmerman,
When did Quebec give Mardi Gras permission to use the fleur de lis? hunh?
George

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:27 am
@ehBeth,
Them Acadians took it and then changed their name to Cajuns to cover their tracks.
JPB

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 01:30 pm
This is getting interesting...

Quote:
U.S. Sen. David Vitter, R-La., has released a letter he wrote to National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell about the NFL's claim that it owns the "Who Dat?" trademark.

The text of the letter, as released by Vitter's office, is below:

Dear Commissioner Goodell:

I was stunned to learn recently that the NFL is taking the position that it owns the exclusive trademark of the term "Who Dat" and has even threatened legal action against some mom-and-pop merchants selling t-shirts using the term. I would urge you to drop this obnoxious and legally unsustainable position and instead agree that "Who Dat" is in the public domain, giving no one exclusive trademark rights.

This letter will also serve as formal legal notice that I am having t-shirts printed that say "WHO DAT say we can't print Who Dat!" for widespread sale in commerce. Please either drop your present ridiculous position or sue me.

more
Seed

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 01:39 pm
@JPB,
That's outstanding. Made me laugh quite hardly!
spendius

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 02:59 pm
@Seed,
I liked "stunned" best. I also liked the forthright manner in which the sentiments behind it were expressed.

Maybe that should be "was expressed".

It doesn't look like I'm not the only one who has reservations about the rules and regulations of the NFL. I have no reservations about the rules and regulations of UEFA.

They are perfect. Honed to a fine art by a process all evolutionists ought to stand and gasp in admiration at. Not cobbled together on a drawing board to get a ball game rolling to cash in on the same act the Limeys were in on but making it look different enough so that it might be thought not to have been copied by casual observers.

Macs didn't bother about that. They want people to feel like they are stepping into America when they go through their doors. NFL doesn't want people to feel they are stepping back into Ye Olde Englande by playing "SOCCER!!!", said in the tone that meercat in the ads uses for Russia. (It's the Market dot com, not the Meercat dot com.) It's a brilliant ad. I'm surprised it hasn't caused a diplomatic incident.

In The Venture Capitalist's Office. A shorty story.

"A symbol of the feminine at each end, a goal, a net, a try, a touchdown--know what I mean sailor??Eh eh? --some men to struggle to get the ball into it or over or through it which is called a "score". People pay to watch it in Blighty. It's a cash cow. Just rough it out, get some guys to play it, see how they go, promote it and refine the rules to get a tight finish. Which won't, incidentally, always be possible. Not at first I mean. 64--0 scores are no good. You just have to get it with some certainty so that both sides can still win with 5 minutes on the clock. And with an additional twist they don't do in England--dancing girls who lead the cheering by jigging up and down, kicking their legs and twirling tazzles on their wrists when their side touches down or even scores a field goal. Or gets it in the net. Whadya think?"

That's a shorty short-story.

I would at least threaten to call the Senator's bluff. Backing down in the face of that load of assertions is hardly what one expects of an organisation like the NFL. I might threaten to have my cheer leaders at the Superbowl stamp on placards depicting his fissog in the pre-match rituals. I presume a cheer-leader is a highly sought after position.

*What does this WhoDat! signify?

***RIP JD Salinger. Read that again.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 03:54 pm
wiki source and history
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 04:11 pm
Weeeaaaal hush mah mout!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:30 pm
And on the high brow end of the spectrum...

Quote:
The heads of the Indianapolis Museum of Art and the New Orleans Museum of Art have made a Super Bowl wager: The IMA will loan William Trevor's The Fifth Plague of Egypt, to NOMA if the Colts lose the Super Bowl. If the Saints lose, NOMA will loan Claude Lorrain's Ideal View of Tivoli.