Predict the NFL Super Bowl Champ. Win Big, Big Prizes*!

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
At the international level Cyclo long-distance running is a very complex and complicated sport. Lasse Viren, for example, is supposed to have had all his blood changed before his medal winning and record breaking 10,000 metres. Every one of the top runners has a sizeable back-room staff taking care of everything from his shoes to his sponsorship of hair lotion.

The equipment used by top darts professionals is very similar to that used in the better working men's clubs. Foster's Lager and John Smith's Extra Smooth. Darts are much further down your caste system than long-distance running.

I have seen bellies on linemen every week during my successful bid to win rjb's Pick-Um championship which only the rare pub customer can match. I would categorise their movement as lumbering rather than slow. I have wondered at times whether they arrange "pairs" as politicians do.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:48 pm
Speaking of throwing darts, the ESPN experts have made their picks on this Sunday's games:
Colts (7) - Jets (1)
Saints (5) - Vikings (3)

In last night's Baylor @ Kansas game: the pre-game introduction of players includes a 2-minute video highlighting the Jayhawks' long history of athletic successes, during which the Bears' coach took his players to the "quiet area" of an arena tunnel for last minute instructions. Some in Kansas think this was very disrespectful.
spendius

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:14 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Some in Kansas think this was very disrespectful.

Did they run home to tell their Moms?
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:19 pm
@spendius,
Andy/Clubber, who works for me, wondered if they play the same 2 minute video at each Kansas home game. If so, he too would run and hide in a tunnel, even if he were a Jayhawks' fan.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:27 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Andy/Clubber, who works for me, wondered if they play the same 2 minute video at each Kansas home game. If so, he too would run and hide in a tunnel, even if he were a Jayhawks' fan.

Evidently it's kick-ass, and the only reason they would run and hide in the tunnel is because they are disrespectful.

Personally, I think the coach just wanted to tell his kids some last minute instructions, and didn't mean anything by it. Allen Fieldhouse is a damn loud place, so the tunnel was quieter.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:33 pm
So, who here is having a superbowl party? I am!

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
If the Vikes beat the Saints, I probably will. Otherwise I may or may not watch.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:36 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

If the Vikes beat the Saints, I probably will. Otherwise I may or may not watch.

Really?!? I can't imagine not watching the big game!

Cycloptichorn
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:39 pm
@sozobe,
If it is scheduled to start at 8 ET (which means 8:15) and with extra commercial breaks and the painfully dreadful half-time show that is typical, it won't end until near midnight. I'll read about it on Monday.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

If it is scheduled to start at 8 ET (which means 8:15) and with extra commercial breaks and the painfully dreadful half-time show that is typical, it won't end until near midnight. I'll read about it on Monday.

Quote:

. The 2010 Super Bowl game time is scheduled for kick off at 6:28 P.M. Eastern Time (3:28 P.M. Pacific Time) on Sunday, February 7th, 2010.

You can watch it!

Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Most superbowls I've watched over the decades are boring, anticlimatic, although I often have liked a few of the commercials.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Damn! I can probably stay up, along with the other 10 of us here who have the Colts, to scream: We Told You So!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 07:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Let me put that another way, on re-reading it's rather anemic:

If the Vikings are in the Superbowl, I'm SO watching!!

If they aren't, I might or I might not.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 07:06 am
It's getting closer to the weekend and I'm getting psyched for the Saints win on Sunday. As to the AFC game... even though I picked the Colts to win, I'm actually cheering for the Jets. I was a pretty big Jets fan back in my prior life (during the Mark Gastineau era) and I'd like to see them back in the Super Bowl.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 07:45 am
@JPB,
DREW BEEEEEEEES!

spendius

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 02:34 pm
@Ticomaya,
The video has been blocked from coming in to my neck of the woods Tico so I have been denied a good laugh I suppose.

Not having seen it I don't know whether it was as good a laugh as one I came across a while ago in my eclectic reading material. Anthony Burgess has this tough guy on a ship making his way to Rome in a slow boat. He's called Caleb. He's knifed the undercook in the brothel area so as to take his place and thus "work his passage". And he hasn't been that well brought up and certainly not to the standards of an American college where, unlike here, the future stars of our two forms of football are nurtured and cultivated. He's big and strong and a tough guy. And there's fame and fortune in Rome for tough guys and they come from all points and over long distances to try their luck before what was a very objective audience.

And he knows "Greek holds, Judeaen feints" and on top of that "points on the human frame which, if pressed, can induce temporary paralysis". And his mission in to free his sisters from enslavement in which goodness knows what is happening to them since they were abducted and to lift the Roman heel from off the throat of his homeland. And to manage that he has to become a famous sporting hero of the city and secure the admiration of the well-to-do ladies and thus a possible key to the door.

He is thin-skinned as well and quick to get riled up. And Burgess deems it "unworthy" of him to also having a quiet fancy for applause for itself and a lifestyle in which sisters and Roman heels are put on the back burner. Selling out we call it. The sort of thing that if you mentioned it to Caleb you would be better off running away quick. He can't take a joke either.

A patrician on the ship after seeing Caleb throw the largest of his piss-takers overboard in a formal Roman-style fight, he arranged on the foredeck after seeing the snarling match, and then, on being told the guy couldn't swim, fishes him out himself to general applause, he finds out he is going to work in the arena. He's a part-time talent scout who gives Caleb a name to look up and get a fast start. A franchise shareholder possibly. He's been investigating fraudulent practices in Alexandria and Petra but, being a regular traveler, he keeps on the look out for other business opportunities and promising sportsmen are one of those. A fast horse just as well. A few lions, crocodiles and rare birds for the table of those with the most exquisite taste. Anything as a matter of fact. Female slaves. Contortionists. He knew that man did not live by bread alone.

He says, "His is a manly trade; sybaritic Rome, that is becoming effeminate, needs to see muscle at work, recalling more primitive glories."

Caleb thanks him for the name.

You do see the joke don't you Tico? I would hate to have to explain it to you.

The fame and fortune of top sportsmen then was much the same as it is now and they were not subject to the restrictions Tiger Woods is labouring under.

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 04:02 pm
@spendius,
I get it. Mine wasn't that funny, but funnier than yours.
spendius

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 04:26 pm
@Ticomaya,
By which you must mean that mine was a tragedy.

It was actually an example of one of the things Christianity has done for us. As a wussie I'm all in favour.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 11:35 am
PRINCE has recorded a song for the Vikings called (wait for it) "Purple and Gold"!! Omigod so fabulous. Very Happy

Big question though which I cannot answer so I throw myself at the mercy of you good people -- does it suck or not?

If it's good, we have this in the bag (oooh, I have to put my theory on littlek's thread).

If it sucks, maybe not.
spendius

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 11:56 am
@sozobe,
My theory is that Prince has recorded a song for his bank account. It's bound to suck because all his songs suck.

If the Vikings were not in the semi-finals I suppose it would have been Purple and (fill in another colour).