The Bah! Humbug! Christmas thread.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 03:10 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Hinge just posted this to one of the Oz threads.

So I thought I'd post it here, too.

There just aren't enough of you whining about Christmas this year. Have you all become converts? Wink Smile

https://p.twimg.com/AhAUgCSCIAABs2c.jpg

Converts? Hell, no. I'm just too bloody depressed by the whole season to come up with anything worthwhile to post. This year has been particularly bad and I want to scream every time I hear carols being broadcast over the PA systems in shops and restaurants. I do gnash my teeth quite a bit. (My dentures, actually.)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 03:42 pm
@msolga,
Sorry for slow failure to reply. As I've probably said before, I like aspects of the season, cards, letters, emails, and am fine alone, and fine with doing my own gathering thing (not lately, but I once had a vegetarian christmas thread. Or was it.. might have been vegetarian guest thanksgiving), and will be fine with seeing local pals here this year, pleased.

I've been close to a half century away from the belief extravaganza, but I like connections.
I used to revile the driving involved in leaving our own house to see two families miles away from each other, going from strange to stranger within 24 hours, with drives home in between. Gah. But also good some of the time.

So... we threw our own drop-by thing on a slump day in between christmas and new year. Sometimes these included beach walks and talks, relaxed. Usually one of us cooked, but people brought stuff. I still remember Virgine - she is Basque, wildly artistic, and besides all that a great cook. Lover of a friend. Anyway, she would bring some bottle of fruit aged in alcohol. I'd not heard of that before..
PandaFan

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 05:15 pm
@ossobuco,
I used to do the fruit in alcohol thing for every Christmas. Glad to know Im not the only one.
Still..just makes it more bahumbug around here. It cant be done with soon enough as far as Im concerned. I used to love so many things about it and the last few years..not even lights and stuff all around. A few things but, thats it. This year..its all packed away but...I didnt get rid of it all in the move so, I guess thats something.
Cant even make cookies.
Cant buy gifts like usual.
Cant feel human enough to visit people.
sucks.
tick tick tick...ugh...pthbth
msolga

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 05:39 pm
@ossobuco,
No need for an apology, osso.
I really appreciate your effort, osso, but you really consider that contribution a whine or a moan? You're not trying! Wink Razz

But I enjoyed reading about your Christmas reminiscences anyway. You've had some wonderful Christmases, I can see that. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 05:50 pm
@PandaFan,
Panda, bambino. Or, bambina. I wish I knew who you used to be re your username, since I feel like I know you. Criminy.

We could possibly relate, but I'm not pushy, no matter how obnoxious I seem.
msolga

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 06:00 pm
@PandaFan,
Aw, PandaFan, sounds like you're having a bit of a rough time.

Here's a hug for you:

((((((((Christmas hug))))))))))

Feeling a bit more cheerful now? I hope so. Smile

Quote:
It cant be done with soon enough as far as Im concerned

Yes, exactly how I feel!

The carols in the supermarket when it's stinking hot (southern hemisphere here) when everyone's getting cranky in long queues, almost colliding with my third (!) Santa in the high street, out of tune loud buskers, last minute greeting cards from people you haven't sent cards to (Oh dear!), all those gifts of chocolates & rumballs which you told yourself you wouldn't eat this time but gobbled up anyway ..... followed by the diet in January! Need I say more?

Bah humbug, I say!
It's a terrible, terrible, time!
An endurance test!
A trial! Very Happy

(Nice to meet you, PandFan. I don't think our A2K paths have crossed before. )
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 06:06 pm
@msolga,
Re; Xmas cards. I believe this is the first time in my adult life that I am not sending out one single card to anybody. Screw it. If I get a card in the post, I'll call them and thank them viva voce.
msolga

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 06:38 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Wise move, Andrew!
I think I will do the same!
Probably getting too late now, anyway. Smile

But even worse, someone presents you with an unexpected gift & you don't have one for them! Embarrassed
msolga

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 06:40 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Ah. Just saw this:

Quote:
Converts? Hell, no. I'm just too bloody depressed by the whole season to come up with anything worthwhile to post. This year has been particularly bad and I want to scream every time I hear carols being broadcast over the PA systems in shops and restaurants. I do gnash my teeth quite a bit. (My dentures, actually.)

Very Happy

Yay!
Let it rip, Andrew!
Don't hold back!

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 06:42 pm
@msolga,
Just look suitably sheepish and thank them profusely and invite them for a drink.
msolga

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 06:51 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thank you for that advice, Andrew. Smile
I did something like that, in the one instance that's occurred this year.
I just hope there aren't any more instances!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 05:03 am
very funny!

0 Replies

PandaFan

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 05:19 pm
@ossobuco,
does

thanksforlistening

help?
Smile
PandaFan

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 05:22 pm
@msolga,
Thanks for the hug...it is a bit of a rough time. I'm trying my best to just roll with the punches but I've reached my limit. I reached it long ago. If I could hire Santa and his reindeer to run me over and thought perhaps he wouldnt just leave me in a worse mess...I would.
Our paths have crossed..a lifetime ago. I'm an original Abuzzer. Nice to see you here..thanks again for the cheerful words
..and I say..hell with the carols change the dang channel.
Oh wait..you're in a store or something...could you throw a popcornball hard enough to take them out perhaps?
Aldistar

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 10:43 pm
Not converted just horribly busy. Another year working retail at Christmas. Tomorrow I have the added pleasure of working 7am to 9:30pm all the while listening to the same hour and a half loop of Christmas music. Oy! I hate holiday extended hours. It wouldn't be so bad if we were actually busy for that extra time, but we never are.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 10:46 pm
@Aldistar,
Working retail at this time of the year truly sucks. I feel your pain, Aldistar, as I speak from experience.
msolga

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 06:44 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Agreeing with Andrew, Aldistar.
Been there/done that.
Definitely not fun!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 06:49 am
@PandaFan,
Quote:
Oh wait..you're in a store or something...could you throw a popcornball hard enough to take them out perhaps?

Ha.
And get arrested to cap of this great season? The icing on the cake! Wink

Were you PandaFan on Abuzz?
You you certainly sound familiar.

Hang in there, PF.
This too shall pass.
Or as Noddy would say: Hold your dominion.

And just yell if further hugs are required, OK? Smile
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 08:58 am
@ossobuco,
Fruit aged in alcohol. Yes.
First time I had it was in Texas at the home of teetotaling Baptist lady who informed us all that "By submerging the peaches in the Brandy for over ninety days all of the alcoholic content of the liquor will be dissipated through evaporation."

Um, yes, I thought, IF she had not kept the lid on the jar tightly sealed which she, oh yes, had done.

We had the "non"alcoholic peaches over homemade Vanilla Ice Cream and Sponge Cake.

Several bowls full.

deeelissshhhhshush!
Clean up was a breeze because the bowls were licked clean.

Luckily someone else was driving.

Joe('Tis flavorful, so favorful, she said. ) Nation
0 Replies

PandaFan

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 05:52 pm
@msolga,
eh- arrested would give you an excuse to not go anywhere or be with anyone for the holidays...you wouldnt have to cook or clean either I'm guessing. Okay..maybe not a good idea but still..its a thought for avoidance..to an extreme but a thought still. Maybe just make sure the electronics that are performing the caroling music are SOMEHOW dismantled or just not working ...I hate to say not working well because then you might end up with static filled caroling and that would be terrible beyond the current pain.

Nope--first appearance as PandaFan.

Ah Noddy...Ill try that. Thanks for the hugs they help. Just as long as its not a dang Santa or elf coming near me its good.
0 Replies