Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2019 08:56 am
@tsarstepan,
A code red Santa emergency!
Ho Ho, Oh No! Germany Has A Santa Shortage
izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2019 10:07 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Thousands of people have gathered at Stonehenge to welcome the first sunrise after the winter solstice.

English Heritage opened the site for those celebrating the end of the longest night of the year. The sun rose over Stonehenge at 08:11 GMT.

Jenny Davies, from English Heritage, said about 5,000 people had come, ranging from pagans and Druid groups, families and tourists.

She urged people to "respect the stones".

"They are very special, so we ask that people don't climb on them, stand on them or sit on them," she said.

More at link including pictures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-50884452
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2019 12:09 am
Who here is fasting for Christmas?

izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2019 01:53 am
@Sturgis,
All year round, I never stop.

Sorry I mistook the s for an r.

Very good programme on the Beeb a couple of nights ago about Tudor Christmases.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000cfd5

I think it may be available on PBS.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2019 08:28 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Why the frack would one do that for? Sounds pretty spiritually scroogie to me.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2019 08:45 am
@tsarstepan,
6-Year-Old Finds Message Alleging Chinese Prison Labor In Box Of Christmas Cards
https://i.imgur.com/e5ngIvH.jpg
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2019 04:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
Running cat of capitalism.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2019 04:58 pm
@izzythepush,
As near as I can tell, that is being shown here, tomorrow night (9:00 on the local station) as Lucy Worsley's 12 Days of Tudor Christmas.

Seems like a good find, thanks!
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2019 04:49 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Sturgis wrote:

The Tudors, the four weeks leading up to Christmas were all fasting, the only relaxation was Christmas Eve when they could decorate.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2019 04:50 am
@Sturgis,
It is very good.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 09:25 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

Sturgis wrote:

The Tudors, the four weeks leading up to Christmas were all fasting, the only relaxation was Christmas Eve when they could decorate.

Please remind me.... When was the last reigning Tudor? And how much relevance should we put on their customs today?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 09:59 am
@tsarstepan,
Christmas has lots of traditions. We still bring Holly into our houses to celebrate the coming of the Holly King and Pagans haven't ruled over here for millennia.

Some traditions last, some don't, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if some ultra religious types still fast during advent.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 10:34 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Christmas has lots of traditions. We still bring Holly into our houses to celebrate the coming of the Holly King and Pagans haven't ruled over here for millennia.

Some traditions last, some don't, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if some ultra religious types still fast during advent.

If this is a tradition you don't mind? It's odd that it's in the Bah! Humbug! thread and not another more appropriate Christmas thread, no?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 11:03 am
@tsarstepan,
It wasn't me who asked the question, it was Sturgis. I replied by telling him about Lucy Worsley's Tudor Christmas, which is very good btw.

I then answered your question.

I don't mind any tradition as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. If people want to fast, then let them.

I'm not very well right now, I didn't eat anything yesterday, nor today, but that's due to medical, not religious reasons.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 12:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Sorry for being a big jackass. You need to get better and soon.
chai2

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 12:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
I had the most excellent bah humbug Xmas yesterday!

Honestly the best Xmas I’ve had in years.

I was flying solo/going stag yesterday. I decided around 12:30 to turn on my Grubhub app to see if anything was available. I wish I had turned it on hours before.
In the next 3 hours I made over $100.
Just kept going back and forth from 2 Asian buffets that are within 2 blocks of each other, and homes within maybe 3 miles.
Large orders plus people were tipping really heavy.

The restaurants themselves were busy. Couples of all ages from 20 to 70, entire extended families with up to 8 or 10 kids, single people. Went to an upscale sushi place as my last stop, and it was packed.

The roads had about 20% of normal traffic. The weather was great at about 60 to 65 degrees, and it was overcast, which is very soothing to me.

It was great seeing the number of people out and about. People were jogging, washing their cars, just normal stuff.

It was a 9.75 out of 10.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 01:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
The Kid did Christmas Dinner, I had done some preparation the night before but the dinner was all his. I had every confidence, and he did a bang up job. We're off to see friends tomorrow so hopefully I'll be better by then. Feeling a lot better today though.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 02:53 pm
The Tudor Christmas show was quite enjoyable. It almost makes me want to go back in time and experience it twice...

...well, parts of it. I've never chomped on a boar's ear and would rather not start now. (Unless it had been battered and deep fried)
izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 03:08 pm
@Sturgis,
It was a bit of a mixed bag. I liked the bit about mummers and "mums the word."

Not all mummers morphed into trick or treaters, "mummers plays" are still a tradition over here. I did go to see one last Christmas and posted on the strange traditions thread.

It takes place on the first Sunday in January. Here's a link to the facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/events/st-michaels-square-southampton-so14-2-united-kingdom/mummers-play-southampton-2020/934490743409019/
0 Replies