28

The Bah! Humbug! Christmas thread.

1  
Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 02:22 pm
The Salvation Army Bell Ringers are out in force.

Same premise as those fakakta drums

I would have to punch this guy in the dick.

1  
Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 01:53 am
@chai2,
We don't have bell ringers over here, (not like that anyway.) The Sally army brass band plays carols.

1  
Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 09:06 am
Do they stand outside the shops singing for donations?

I’d be ok (at least more ok) with that.

If you’re already donated as much as you’re going to at least you can smile politely at the group as you go in or leave the store. I mean, at least they are supplying some entertainment.

Here, it’s normally just one person standing there clanging his bell (those bells are really loud and strident, especially when you’re just a few feet away). I’ve literally gotten sudden headaches trying to get by them.

I guess the premise is that everyone is Christmas shopping every time they walk into a store this time of year. Obviously not true.

I mean, how many times a day or week do you have to put up with this?

1  
Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 10:22 am
@chai2,
There's normally a few people with collection tins, but they're not in your face. They are when they come into pubs with said tins though.

We have brass bands, usually Sally army, in city centres at the weekends after Bonfire Night up until Christmas, but fortunately no bell ringers. I wouldn't want that.

The biggest problem are chuggers.

Licensed charity muggers with coloured tabards and clipboards laying in wait on every high street in the land to pounce on you and relieve you of your dosh by pressing all your guilt buttons and making you sign up to their cause.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chugger