The Bah! Humbug! Christmas thread.

chai2

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 02:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
The Salvation Army Bell Ringers are out in force.

Same premise as those fakakta drums

I would have to punch this guy in the dick.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 01:53 am
@chai2,
We don't have bell ringers over here, (not like that anyway.) The Sally army brass band plays carols.
chai2

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 09:06 am
@izzythepush,
Do they stand outside the shops singing for donations?

I’d be ok (at least more ok) with that.

If you’re already donated as much as you’re going to at least you can smile politely at the group as you go in or leave the store. I mean, at least they are supplying some entertainment.

Here, it’s normally just one person standing there clanging his bell (those bells are really loud and strident, especially when you’re just a few feet away). I’ve literally gotten sudden headaches trying to get by them.

I guess the premise is that everyone is Christmas shopping every time they walk into a store this time of year. Obviously not true.

I mean, how many times a day or week do you have to put up with this?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 10:22 am
@chai2,
There's normally a few people with collection tins, but they're not in your face. They are when they come into pubs with said tins though.

We have brass bands, usually Sally army, in city centres at the weekends after Bonfire Night up until Christmas, but fortunately no bell ringers. I wouldn't want that.

The biggest problem are chuggers.

Quote:
Licensed charity muggers with coloured tabards and clipboards laying in wait on every high street in the land to pounce on you and relieve you of your dosh by pressing all your guilt buttons and making you sign up to their cause.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chugger
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 10:08 am
@izzythepush,
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2018 02:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2018 11:12 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2018 10:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2018 06:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2018 12:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2018 09:49 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2019 09:09 am
@tsarstepan,
Dealing With Holidays At Work: Forced Cheer and Awkward Parties
https://i.imgur.com/OpN8XS2.jpg
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2019 02:23 pm
mark
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 11:11 am
@InfraBlue,
Source
https://i.imgur.com/kd503M5.jpg
chai2

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 12:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
Every year I watch people and think You 100% put yourself in this stress. You can get off the hamster wheel any time you want. In fact many, if not most of the people you think you'll "letting down" will probably be relieved.

And yeah, that includes "the children". What a great example for their future to see you not stressing, falling prey to consumerism, and actually having a relaxing time.
Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 03:26 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Every year I watch people and think You 100% put yourself in this stress. You can get off the hamster wheel any time you want. In fact many, if not most of the people you think you'll "letting down" will probably be relieved.

And yeah, that includes "the children". What a great example for their future to see you not stressing, falling prey to consumerism, and actually having a relaxing time.

This year we are sending our kids to Florida to spend some time with their aunt, uncle and some cousins - those that they do not get to see much. They wanted this trip for Christmas over more "material" things.

We - hubby, dogs and me are planning a scaled down Christmas - maybe just go somewhere overnight and go out to a restaurant.

I feel the stress falling off me just thinking of not planning anything.
chai2

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 07:04 pm
@Linkat,
https://cdn.earlytorise.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/iStock_000016271480XSmall.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2019 09:52 pm
@chai2,
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2019 07:44 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2019 07:35 am
@tsarstepan,
https://i.imgur.com/8Hb4HLq.jpg
The ‘Christmas Tinner’ Is The Most Unappetizing Dinner Ever