The Bah! Humbug! Christmas thread.

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:12 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
If little complaints are OK, Christmas cards are worrying me too (they were mentioned already). I have this stack, but have decided not to do the form letter but write everything by hand, and it's seeming very daunting right now. Planned to make a big dent today, did one. ONE. Argh.

Little complaints are certainly most welcome, soz! Very Happy

But you will get there, I'm very confident you will! But you just know, don't you, after they've all been sent & you think you've finished (Hooray!!!!), that 3 new cards will arrive .... from people you forgot! Wink

(Maybe keep the messages fairly brief this time? Would that be OK? )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'm going to bring these people some green vegetables..

I'd love it, osso, if someone gave me green vegetables for Christmas!

But no, chocolates, chocolates & plonk! Alway chocolates & plonk, particularly the chocolates! (I've had to let my jeans belt out a notch already! Shocked )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:19 pm
@dlowan,
But ... roasted Alvin might be quite delicious, Deb! Razz
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:28 pm
@dlowan,
Roasted chipmunks not bunnies! Some people are too sensitive!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:06 pm
@msolga,
My Christmas plans have gone to hell in a handbasket this past week.

The arrangement was that my elderly aunt, who is my only relative, and very active, would come down from the country on Christmas Eve. We'd get ourselves organised and go down to a mate's place at Kiama (beach town 2 hour drive away) for Christmas Day, she'd stay there overnight, and then come back to my place to look after the Lord and master for a week or so, while I loafed in the sun, played in the surf, watched the cricket, read several books, and generally over-indulged.

About 10 days ago my aunt called to say she had bowel cancer, was admitted to hospital and was operated on the next day. Since then, I've made 4 trips there and back (3 hours each way!) and go up tomorrow to collect her from hospital and bring her back to my place.

She won't be fit enough to look after herself - so I'll have to stay home - and she'll drive me mad! Our relationship is a bit like MsOlga and her mother - we're not that close - and enforced togetherness is a potential disaster. And, I've been so looking forward to a week off - so now I think I'll volunteer to work. At least that'll get me out of the house.

Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

and don't talk to me about Christmas cards, or presents either, for that matter.....
djjd62

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:10 pm
@margo,
oooooof, hate it when a plan goes wrong

sorry to hear about your aunts illness though
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:15 pm
@margo,
Quote:
About 10 days ago my aunt called to say she had bowel cancer, was admitted to hospital and was operated on the next day. Since then, I've made 4 trips there and back (3 hours each way!) and go up tomorrow to collect her from hospital and bring her back to my place.

She won't be fit enough to look after herself - so I'll have to stay home - and she'll drive me mad! Our relationship is a bit like MsOlga and her mother - we're not that close - and enforced togetherness is a potential disaster. And, I've been so looking forward to a week off - so now I think I'll volunteer to work. At least that'll get me out of the house.

Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no, margo!

Is she in a lot of pain?

This is just awful. (I already know quite a bit of the background story.)

I'm sorry.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:19 pm
@margo,
I'm very sorry to hear all of that Margo!!!!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Margo)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:15 pm
Margo, I'm also sorry about your aunt (and your vacation).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:19 pm
Margo, ooooooh.
Sympathy to the aunt, and to you.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:21 pm
@dlowan,
Not to worry, they've been skinned.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 06:49 pm
So how are your Christmas preparations going, folk? Everything under control?
Enjoying the countdown?

Hang in there, only a few days to go, then it'll all be over for another year! Very Happy
Seed

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 06:53 pm
I love old christmas music. I dont know why. I just do. It's great. But what I hate is when people think they can take the classic way a song sounds and try and make it sound better. they just end up ruining and it's like nails on a chalk board to me
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 07:02 pm
@Seed,
Will this be the first Christmas spent at home for you, for a while, Seed?
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 07:19 pm
Just catching up on some o/s online news. Yikes! This is cold!!!!! Shocked :

Cold Snap Causes Christmas Chaos in Europe
SPIGEL ONLINE
http://www.spiegel.de/images/image-43314-galleryV9-dbbo.jpg
Stranded travelers at Düsseldorf airport try and get some rest

Generally Germany is well geared for colder weather. But nobody anticipated that this weekend would bring the year's coldest. Temperatures sank as low as minus 30 degrees Celsius in some areas and snow and ice affected road, rail and airport services. The weather resulted in several deaths and hundreds of accidents.

Quote:
Germany has not escaped the chaos that a severe cold snap has caused right across Europe.

At a freezing minus 30 degrees Celsius (minus 22 degrees Fahrenheit), this Sunday night was probably the coldest night of the year, according to German weather watchers. The severe cold weather -- just as many Germans were heading home for the holidays -- has caused traffic chaos, hundreds of accidents and several deaths. ... <cont>

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,668320,00.html
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 07:22 pm
@msolga,
Yep first one in 4 years.
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 07:35 pm
@Seed,
I thought so. Wasn't sure if you'd made the odd, brief Christmas visit while in the army, Seed. Have a good one! This must feel rather special.Very Happy

(I hate it when shops insist on playing Christmas carols (especially the ones about joy to the world & people being nice to each other! Wink ) while everyone's busily jostling each other in the ques (sp?), obviously hating every minute of their last minute shopping ordeal, just wanting to get out of there & generally behaving revoltingly! Wink )

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 07:39 pm
And I sometimes feel very sorry for Santas! (What a job!In that hot suit all day long, listening to endless wish lists ....)

http://www.mattglover.com/Images/Cartoons/CP_Xmas2.gif

`
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 03:07 pm
@msolga,
I like Christmas -- after all, it's the same day as Newton Day!
dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 03:44 pm
@Thomas,
Oh my.