Another reason why I'm against capital punishment

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:28 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

I assume you're familiar with Shirley Jackson's classic short story "The Lottery"?
Is that something I would read? I don't read.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:28 pm
@dyslexia,
How much do you care, dys?
Francis

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:31 pm
Edgar wrote:
There is a case in Texas - around Dallas, I believe, but not 100% certain - in which a man was executed for burning down a house with his children still in it.

Quote:
Cameron Willingham Texas Convicted: 1992, Executed: 2004
After examining evidence from the capital prosecution of Cameron Willingham, four national arson experts have concluded that the original investigation of Willingham's case was flawed and it is possible the fire was accidental. The independent investigation, reported by the Chicago Tribune, found that prosecutors and arson investigators used arson theories that have since been repudiated by scientific advances. Willingham was executed earlier this year in Texas despite his consistent claims of innocence. He was convicted of murdering his three children in a 1991 house fire.

But also:

Quote:
Georgia Board to Pardon Woman 60 Years After Her Execution - The Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles has announced that it will issue a formal pardon this month for Lena Baker, the only woman executed in the state during the 20th century.

and:

Quote:
South Carolina Pair Exonerated 94 Years After Execution - The South Carolina Department of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services voted 7-0 to pardon Thomas Griffin and Meeks Griffin for the 1913 murder of former Confederate Army veteran John Q . Lewis.
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:32 pm
@Francis,
Anti-capital people had run DNA tests to try to prove someone had die in error and so far had hit a solid wall.

I am not talking about a court rulings I am talking about solid proof that an innocent person had been executed by error not one and the same thing.

As far as men released before executed that seem to prove that the system safe guards are working.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:34 pm
@Francis,
I know about that case and once more I said solid proof not theories.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:35 pm
@BillRM,
I knew your mind was dead set against accepting the truth. Which is why I did not get any deeper into the subject. You laugh away the facts and repeat the same littany endlessly. I can only hope you someday get some firsthand information about how this can happen, since that is all that can touch you.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:37 pm
@BillRM,
It is supposed to take solid proof to convict. I notice you conveniently overlook that fact when discussing these cases.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

How much do you care, dys?
well, if it warms up a bit more, I should get out the leaf blower and clean up the back yard.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:39 pm
Second let all be honest here if there was a way to be 100 percent no error possible in executing the wrong person not one of you anti-capital punishment posters would be for capital punishment now would you?

This have little to do with the chance of executing the wrong person except as a mean of trying to sell your anti-capital punishment position to more of the public.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:41 pm
@BillRM,
You are skirting the issue. It is supposed to be beyond a reasonable doubt. We showed you very quickly cases where reasonable doubt exists, but you have to insist on even more than what the law calls for.
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
You are skirting the issue. It is supposed to be beyond a reasonable doubt.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry but once a jury had found someone guilty of a crime beyond a reasonable doubt the burden is no longer with the state it is instead with the convicted man and his supporters as it should be.

We do not allow endlessly questioning a jury verdict and only solid proof will set aside such a verdict not theories.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oh Edarblythe I had taken note that you and other supporting your position had as yet not address my charge that you in fact do not care if a man is 100 percent guilty of murder and you do not care how many he or she had murders or their ages.

You are against the death penalty period even for a Ted Bundy or the gentleman who bury a child alive or Ben Laden for that matter.

I am correct in that view of your position?
djjd62

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:59 pm
@BillRM,
yes

now what's your point?
dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:02 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

yes

now what's your point?
ditto
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:05 pm
You have been shown irrefutable evidence that innocents sometimes get executed. You fall back to, second guessing juries is wrong. In other words, you want them to die on technicalities, regardless of the truth in the matter. I get it.
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:06 pm
@djjd62,
yes
now what's your point?
-------------------------------------------------------
As you did not quote what you are replying to, I am not sure however if it is to my charge that such posters would not support the execution of a known killer that is guilty without question of even mass murder then you and others had a duty to be more honest and straight forward on this issue not hid behind your "great" concern of innocent men being executed.
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
You have been shown irrefutable evidence that innocents sometimes get executed. You fall back to, second guessing juries is wrong. In other words, you want them to die on technicalities, regardless of the truth in the matter. I get it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had been shown that where where where...............

Silly person theories is not proof.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:12 pm
When I was younger, I passionately supported the death penalty. I looked on anti death penalty groups as sky-eyed idiots. But, years of noticing courts acting in a predjudicial manner, leaving out evidence that could free the accused, even manufacturing evidence - Then we have in Houston, the DNA lab screwed up thousands of cases. Then, as we sort through that, the fingerprint department is guilty of the same failure. Far too many cases of innocent people getting the shaft. Plus, the rich ones getting off on the same evidence that might have convicted a poor person. I stand 100% against the death penalty and I accuse the system of being corrupt.
djjd62

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:12 pm
@BillRM,
if you click on your name in my post, it takes you to the post i'm responding to, that's why it's there

and i'm saying that in my opinion, capital punishment is unnecessary

i don't care what they've done, capture and imprisonment is fine by me, i don't have a need for "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" justice
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:13 pm
@BillRM,
It was not theories. It was indisputable. Which is why we can go no further. You don't want to know the truth.
0 Replies