Another reason why I'm against capital punishment

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:58 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

By villifying people like me,
you are admitting you are out of amunition and so have to resort to this sort of thing. Shame, sir.
Does that mean that when u vilify me, accusing me of stupidity,
u admit that u r out of ammunition, so have to resort to that sort of thing, Shame ??

Explain ?

David
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:04 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You didn't read back far enough for my apology, David.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:07 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

You didn't read back far enough for my apology, David.
That 's true; I did not. I will: no hard feelings.

We might just as well all be friends in the forum.

David
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:07 am
@Ionus,
Because you say it's justice does not make it so. It is in fact the opposite of justice to not give a **** if innocent persons get executed.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:17 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Because you say it's justice does not make it so.
It is in fact the opposite of justice to not give a **** if innocent persons get executed.
I must acknowledge that u raise a point of the most extreme importance,
regardless of whether retribution is inflicted by the victim or by the state, on the victim 's behalf.

No matter WHAT, u gotta get the right guy.
Your point and Andy 's point in this thread is logically justified.

David
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 04:32 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David it is a complete smoke screen about the concern of an innocent man or woman being put to death

No one that I know of question the DC sniper was the correct person or Ted Bundy or any numbers of others was indeed killers,

The sad case of the little girl there is zero question of who bury her alive.

The posters here are just using this as an excused to end capital punishment as they clearly wish no one executed not matter how clear their guilt happen to be.

One other point at this moment in time during my fairly long life time there is zero hard evident that the sad event of a wrong man or woman being executed in the US.

As no system perfect it may had happen or might happen in the future however once more we had no proof of it having occur.

These people however wish to keep alive killers of children and mass killers where there is no question at all of guilt and we all know that.

I would have no problem of greatly reducing the use of the death penalty to mass killers and children killers for example but I also have zero moral problem with ending the life of a Ted Bundy and would even be willing to take part in executing such a man and then going home and having a good night sleep.

There are some crimes where the only moral sentence is death.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 05:22 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
It is in fact the opposite of justice to not give a **** if innocent persons get executed.
At first I thought you were talking about the victims.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 06:49 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
At first I thought you were talking about the victims.
In 1994, we were campaigning to bring the death penalty
back to life in NY.

We argued that: there IS the death penalty applied in NY,
but it can only be applied to the innocent.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:21 am
These guys that shed crocodile tears for the victims and families of victims, while airily dismissing innocent people occasionally getting executed are hypocrites. They have no feelings for the families of these innocents wrongly snuffed. Their remedy to assuage the pain of other victims' families is to kill the perpetrator. In this instance, the perpetrator is a courtroom of prosecuters, a judge and a jury. By applying the death-penalty-lovers' criteria, we need to be executing these courts, if for no other reason than to show we care about victims' rights. Or does one victim deserve healing and not the other?
dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:52 am
@edgarblythe,
The death penalty would be even more effective, as a deterrent, if we executed a few innocent people more often.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:58 am
@dyslexia,
Careful, dys. These people have no sense of the absurd.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:06 am
@dyslexia,
I assume you're familiar with Shirley Jackson's classic short story "The Lottery"?
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:52 am
@edgarblythe,
while airily dismissing innocent people occasionally getting executed are hypocrites. They have no feelings for the families of these innocents wrongly snuffed
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAME me one person who had been proven to had been executed in error.

Just one such person my silly friend.

It hard to cry about people that seem not to exist now is it not<grin>.
fresco

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:02 pm
@BillRM,
James Hanratty UK, appears to be one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hanratty
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
L;ord I can not wait for you to give us all a list of the people and their families that we should be crying about because we had executed them in error.

You ant-capital punishment people had been looking for such for a few decades now and so please give us the result of your efforts in that regard.

Yes I know there had been people who had been on death row and then clear before that last walk but come on give us the families and the men names of those we had executed by error.

Not theory my friend but solid proof.

I have my crying towel out.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:04 pm
@fresco,
James Hanratty UK, appears to be one.
------------------------------------------------------
First I mean the US and as the UK had not have the death sentence for a generation or so that is more then moot.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:15 pm
@BillRM,
You don't know of any because you never cared to know, is my guess. Naturally, they almost never will admit or even know the names of the ones so punished. But they are out there. And if you just consider how many have been found to be convicted in error and then released, it only takes minimal intelligence to deduce that they don't always catch their mistakes. There is a case in Texas - around Dallas, I believe, but not 100% certain - in which a man was executed for burning down a house with his children still in it. There was sufficient word from more than one expert panel to show that the man almost certainly did not set the fire. It was accidental. The information was given to the governor, but he refused to stop the execution. Remember beyond a doubt? Later, the case was under investigation, and the governor dismissed key members of the panel before they could conclude the proceeding. He installed his own hand picked people in their place.

Reuben Cantu. There is plenty of cause to believe he was wrongly convicted and executed. Beyond a doubt. Remember that?

I know of other cases, but I am not going to research it for you. Partly because I think you don't really care. Partly because this thread is already taking me away from important work.

Not to mention cases from the past, such as the Scottsboro boys.
Francis

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:25 pm
BillRM wrote:
NAME me one person who had been proven to had been executed in error.

Quote:
There is no way to tell how many of the over 1,000 people executed since 1976 may also have been innocent. Courts do not generally entertain claims of innocence when the defendant is dead. Defense attorneys move on to other cases where clients' lives can still be saved. Some cases with strong evidence of innocence include:

Carlos DeLuna Texas Conviction: 1983, Executed: 1989
Ruben Cantu Texas Convicted: 1985, Executed: 1993
Larry Griffin Missouri Conviction: 1981, Executed: 1995
Joseph O'Dell Virginia Conviction: 1986, Executed: 1997
David Spence Texas Conviction: 1984, Executed: 1997
Leo Jones Florida Convicted: 1981, Executed: 1998
Gary Graham Texas Convicted: 1981, Executed: 2000
Cameron Willingham Texas Convicted: 1992, Executed: 2004
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
Right my friend not one case of sold proof of the level that had clear inmates from death row before execution.

Yes we should denial families justice because of your theory that we might had executed someone by error.

Come on why do you not be honest for once in your life? You think that it is wrong to execute anyone even a Ted Bundy who no one had a believe is innocent.

The poor families and the men executed by error is just a dishonest smoke screen as you know that you can not sell your idea that it is morally wrong to executed a Ted Bundy type killer.

LOL thank also for the laugh that you are not going to do research on the subject for me as if there was one proven case you would be shouting it to the high heaven.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Careful, dys. These people have no sense of the absurd.
ok Ed, now ask me how much I care.