Another reason why I'm against capital punishment

BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:03 pm
@fresco,
In general, the first obligation logically takes precedence since there are alternative sentences to support the second.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry your logic have a few holes in it..

First you are at least adding to the risk of death to prison guards and other inmates as lifers under a no capital punishment had little to loss by taking the life of a guard or another inmate.

Second there had been and more then likely in the future will be prison break outs of murderers so warehousing them add slightly to the general population risk.

By allowing mass murderers to keep living you are reducing society respect for it laws and in the case of terrorists you are adding to the general population risk that followers/supporters will seize hostages to force the government to released them.

This is not a theory out of a novel as it had happen once more I refer you to the West German problem in that regard that occuring the 1980s.
BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wrong more then one family member of the victim had express the fact of being able to watch their love one killer being executed was helpful in the healing process.

And of course you do not seem to care about the added risk to guards and other inmates under no death penalty.

Second some crimes cry out for that level of punishment and no other level fit the crime.
BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Anybody can recite horror stories. It changes nothing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
So the cold blood murder of a child does not matter to you one little bit?

It is a story to you not a frighten little girl being bury alive and not in the pages of a novel but in the real cold ground.

Executing the killer/rapist of this child and giving a little peace to her family is morally wrong in your world view?

In my opinion you are the one who is morally sick my friend.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:23 pm
@BillRM,
I can't see a "logical" flaw, but I appreciate the practical difficulties of current alternatives to the death penalty. Who knows what future technology might bring ?....neural modification of "aggression circuits" ? (not quite pre-frontal lobotomy we might hope !). It's a pity we can't still send them to Australia for Ionus to sort out !
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:27 pm
@Ionus,
You completely ignored my post where it advocates punishing the guilty so that you could accuse me of not wishing to punish the guilty. Whatever else you may have ignored, I am not going back to read it again. I accuse you of dishonesty and see no reason to continue.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:29 pm
@BillRM,
I do care about the risks to guards and other inmates. Which argues for making prisons safer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:30 pm
@BillRM,
And the victims saying they heal somewhat when an execution takes place is not enough to make the death penalty acceptable.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word stupid, David. I apologize. But reciting all these horrors in my judgement adds nothing substantive to what's already been said,
Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
The horror is an important part of the crime. It is not to be dismissed because you dont like it and it interferes with your argument.
Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:41 pm
@fresco,
Yeahhhh....that would be good.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
I am surprised you know what I ignore. I subscribe to the theory that life will end, and you can try to live fully in the meantime. Taking another life voids your rights. I didnt accuse you of not wishing to punish the guilty, I asked "Are you saying why bother with justice ?" There is a difference between punishment and justice. My level of punishment demands the death penalty. Your level demands life in prison. The argument is which one is justice. My "dishonesty" seems to me to be no more than your increasing feelings of being threatened, which are neither induced by me nor warranted by you.
BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
I had concluded that there are many sick and uncaring people trying to claim the moral high ground by being against the death penalty on this thread.

They call the cold-blooded murder of children as of being of little moment. Not somehow real events with real families who hurt will go on for decades but instead just horror stories.

Interesting how even the supporters of keeping child killers alive at least need to try to reduce the events from being real to just being a horror story.

How dare they however use words games to get emotions distance from a little girl by the name of Jessica Lunsford who deserved a far better fate then to die slowly because of the actions of a Mr. John Evander Couey.

Yes we are somehow morally wrong in wishing to end Mr. Couey life and at least by so doing giving Jessica family a little peace that their little girl killer is not sitting in some jail cell watching TV for the next forty years or so.
BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
when an execution takes place is not enough to make the death penalty acceptable.
------------------------------------------------------------
Not in your uncaring view perhaps but to me that is more then enough.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 08:09 pm
@Ionus,
It doesn't interfere with my argument. It merely skirts the facts. We all acknowledge the horror. We have already had our say concerning same. Endless examples could only cause me to reiterate what I said before. What's the point?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 08:19 pm
@Ionus,
You are one of the type arguers that seeks to gain advantage by sniping inside your posts. ( your increasing feelings of being threatened) It's not the first time you have tried this. It lessens the regard a person can have for someone, when the someone seeks an emotional rise out of the other person. You would do well to abandon that tactic. It cheapens you.

You play semantics here. It is just a slightly different way of you accusing me of not speaking up for punishment of criminals after I had just got through doing it.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 08:20 pm
@BillRM,
By villifying people like me, you are admitting you are out of amunition and so have to resort to this sort of thing. Shame, sir.
Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 11:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Perhaps the point is it makes you feel uncomfortable. You dont feel comfortable with death and that makes you recoil from even the death of someone who deserves it. Perhaps the point is also to see if there is any violence so horrific that you will agree with us that the killer has lost their right to life.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:01 am
@edgarblythe,
your increasing feelings of being threatened - it was an observation. At one stage you had your fingers in your ears.

I think it is important to discuss the difference between punishment and justice when dealing with the death penalty. This is not semantics. Everyone can agree that punishment can be either the death penalty or life imprisonment. Which one is justice ? Excuse me if I do not automatically understand your meaning. I have one bias and you have the opposite.
Ionus

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:06 am
@edgarblythe,
People feel a great deal of outrage at these crimes and rightly so. If you stand next to them and defend their lives you are going to get splashed. These crimes tear at a persons very soul and often scar them for life, and they are just the ones who read about it. To claim morality when defending them just doesnt sit right.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:53 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

People feel a great deal of outrage at these crimes and rightly so. If you stand next to them and defend their lives you are going to get splashed. These crimes tear at a persons very soul and often scar them for life, and they are just the ones who read about it. To claim morality when defending them just doesnt sit right.
SO STIPULATED.

U have a nice way with words.

David
0 Replies