My sister and I: Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water....

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 07:23 pm
I'm torn. Many of you remember the issues I've had with the sister I worked for for many years. We argued about my pay (the usual), Christmas gift limits, spending less on birthday dinners and so on. And we argued fiercely about the definitions of social class, monetary priorities, and the concept of want and need when it came to spending money. It's taken 2 years to mostly get past the final hash out. I was feeling good that we had. Then, last November she and her husband finally faced the crisis that was coming their way. Somehow they were in debt in a big way. They had spent money without seeing the consequences of over-spending and are cutting back to the bone.

While the family certainly supports them living within their means, their cut back is also impacting us as a family. For example, for T-day dinner, we all split up the cooking responsibility. We have been doing this for years. My sis usually makes a fantabulous stuffing, but this year said she couldn't afford to (what's in the stuff you might want to know, I do). She had my mother buy ingredients. My parents are living on a fixed income and their retirement stocks and bonds have been slashed over the last few years - didn't seem fair to me. Another example is that they now want to be no part in birthday dinners (mine is this month) if we are eating out. After years of inviting us to way expensive restaurants and us limiting our food choices to afford the meal, they want out. I'm feeling gypped.

So, do I tell her she's made her bed and head to dinner with my bro and parents? Do I mention how we've been overspending for years to afford her dinner plans? Do I just suck it up and let my mother cook a meal that I get to design?

I'm leaning to the last option, after trying a compromise solution of a lunch at a fairly cheap diner.

Rockhead

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 07:28 pm
@littlek,
kinda depends on where you want to end up...

do you speak up, or compromise again?

(family dynamics can suck)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 07:30 pm
@littlek,
Do you want to go out to dinner? If so, go out to dinner.

I think you can just say that you certainly understand how tough it can be to have a limited amount of money to go to a restaurant -- something about why doing it on your birthday is so special. A very rare event.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 07:31 pm
You know my opinion already. You've been nicey forever, for no reason I could quite figure out. I already know what you will do, compromise. Not to be mean, just observation. I don't think you actually want opinions re standing up to your bully sister.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 07:33 pm
@littlek,
i'd let it ride

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 07:33 pm
@littlek,
Ack!!!!

I'd start with a good dummy spit here!!!

Oh...you already did....good.
Wink

I guess it depends what you want from your relationship with your sister in the future....and how damaging you think sucking it up vs having a go at her would be.
From the not involved Mt Olympus of holier than thou, I would suggest the debt might be punishment enough, without you needing to add more.

I understand how angry-making the years of splurge were, and it sounds as though the parsimony might be as excessive!

The stuffing sounds as though it was the coup de grace...but really, it was up to your parents to set a limit there.

I guess I'd suck it up, have dinner at home, and maybe have more of a splash-up with friends?

When you feel calmer, might be the time to have a word with your sister...or not.

I think sometimes people just are.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 07:36 pm
The mother has done littlek no favors re the family dynamics, in my view.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 07:37 pm
So, do I tell her she's made her bed and head to dinner with my bro and parents?
YES!
Do I mention how we've been overspending for years to afford her dinner plans?
YES!
she never made allowance ofr the afforability of her dinners why should you.
And I would ask her what is in the stuffing that was so damn expensive that she had to get parents to buy it.

In short I would stick it right up her. "I was right, you were wrong Nya nya nya."

Revenge is a dish best served cold
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 07:43 pm
@dadpad,
Littlek, seething on the side for years is a passive thing, as is getting over the seething and getting along. You're an adult now, you don't have to keep catering to your bully sister. Please work at speaking up. This is not the first thread you've posted about dealing with your sister.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 07:51 pm
Osso, you'll notice that there is quite a range of sentiment on this thread. And these from people who do know the back story. I flat out stated I would probably compromise at the outset of the thread. I do understand your frustration, though. However, I'll likely say something. I usually do.
littlek

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 08:02 pm
@littlek,
taking another look, the range really isn't that wide.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 08:04 pm
@littlek,
But we don't usually hear about that, your saying something, ever.
I appreciate all the other posters and their opinions. Doesn't change mine, that you let sister get away with murder, over and over and over, metaphorically, of course.
I'm saying don't use us as a valve one more time, confront your sister.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 08:14 pm
@littlek,
I do think I would let them off on the birthday dinner. I doubt I could refrain from mentioning how well I could relate, having been in exactly the same position for years. Not gloating, you unerstan. . . .

PS Your old avatar was better.
littlek

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 08:15 pm
Roger, the old avatar will be back after the solstice.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 08:16 pm
PS and tell her when you and the rest of the family go out for your B/day you are all gonna talk about them.
littlek

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 08:18 pm
@dadpad,
<snort>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 08:21 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

PS and tell her when you and the rest of the family go out for your B/day you are all gonna talk about them.

Whoodathunk kangaroos were so MEAN!!!

Wink
roger

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 08:24 pm
@dlowan,
Well, they are Australian, aren't they?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 08:25 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
After years of inviting us to way expensive restaurants and us limiting our food choices to afford the meal, they want out. I'm feeling gypped.

In no way should you compromise to give into her manipulations. I also don't think you should start a family fight, it would only get everyone upset and your sister is not mature enough to see your point of view. I suggest you pick a restaurant you enjoy and is affordable to your parents and brother. Invite your sister and her husband and tell them to order the cheapest thing on the menu like you would do when she picked restaurants you could not afford. If she comes fine, if not - enjoy the peace and know you did the right thing.

(Will Dag scold you for using the term "gypped"?)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 08:40 pm
Every time I type the word gypped, these days, I feel rotten - but I didn't grow up knowing it had anything to do with the Roma... and.... dang - she probably should. But, to my credit, I do try to break 13 year olds (and their teachers) from the generalizations they use about those they call gypsies.