Gay Marriage Vote Passes in DC City Council

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 02:44 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
Gala, You aren't a local are you? How are you so familiar with the local names?

He means, Gala, do you fancy a tickle?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 03:23 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
There is no direct reference to same sex marriage in the Constitution and the attempts to read it in are nonsensical.

There also is no direct reference to your right to eat oatmeal for breakfast, or to drive a Ford rather than a Chrysler, or work as a computer programmer rather than a janitor. Does it follow that you do not have these rights under the constitution?

And has the point finally sunk in that Washington DC introduced same sex marriage through its legislature? You're awfully quiet about that one.

No, I'm not quiet about that one. You just missed my response a few posts above. I said that it was legal, although I went on to say more.

Indeed, a law prohibiting the use of oatmeal as a breakfast food would be stupid, and forbid a very tasty breakfast food, but it would be legal. The Constitution doesn't protect oatmeal as a right. You simply cannot rightly claim all sorts of things are in the Constitution that it doesn't say. The Equal Protection Clause says that a law may not describe different rules for different people, and no law under discussion here does that. The Constitution says what it says and doesn't say what it doesn't say, no matter how much you wish it were otherwise. If the people pass a law explicitly forbidding gay marriage, then it becomes illegal - period.
Thomas

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 03:33 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
No, I'm not quiet about that one. You just missed my response a few posts above.

Noted.

Brandon9000 wrote:
The Constitution says what it says and doesn't say what it doesn't say, no matter how much you wish it were otherwise. If the people pass a law explicitly forbidding gay marriage, then it becomes illegal - period.

By your reasoning, the court would have been wrong to condemn as unconstitutional the prohibition of interracial marriages in Loving v. Virginia. After all, the constitution does not explicitly guarantee a right to those, either. Is it your position that theLoving court was indeed wrong?

Never mind. I have to admit I'm getting exhausted. Clearly I'm not going to convince you, and I also can't think of any way to state my own point more clearly. Let's just agree to disagree.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 03:43 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
The Equal Protection Clause doesn't apply, since a refusal by the government, whether based on law or custom, to perform same sex marriages doesn't constitute permitting something to some people but not others. Such laws and such rules apply equally to everyone. Everyone may marry someone of the opposite sex and no one may marry someone of the same sex. The Equal Protection Clause doesn't mean that the law must permit each person to do what he wants to.

That's a pretty silly argument. Made me laugh. Thanks.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 06:45 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
The Equal Protection Clause says that a law may not describe different rules for different people, and no law under discussion here does that.

This is EXACTLY what we are talking about.

Whether you call it marriage or gay-marriage, guess what? We are talking about marriage.

We don't say that women must defend their right to drive a vehicle because nowhere in the constitution does it say that women have the right to drive. We don't use terms like "female-driving" as if it was a different legal entity from driving itself. A state couldn't decide tomorrow to ban women from getting a driver's license and recognizing the drivers licenses of women from other states. Your semantics are hollow. We are talking about 1 right, and two groups of people getting different access to it. The equal protection clause has no better purpose than for exactly this kind of thing.

You should learn about "nullification." We can't pass laws that contradict other laws.

T
K
O
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 06:56 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
The Equal Protection Clause says that a law may not describe different rules for different people, and no law under discussion here does that.

No, the equal protection clause says that a law may not describe different rules for the same people. The constitution presumes that all people are politically equal, and so any law that sets up a distinction among people is suspect. A law that treats otherwise equal persons unequally must have some sort of compelling state interest behind it, otherwise it's unconstitutional.

So, what is the compelling state interest behind treating people differently with regard to marriage?

Brandon9000 wrote:
The Constitution says what it says and doesn't say what it doesn't say, no matter how much you wish it were otherwise. If the people pass a law explicitly forbidding gay marriage, then it becomes illegal - period.

Why have a constitution if everything passed by the legislature is automatically legal?
DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:20 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Why have a constitution if everything passed by the legislature is automatically legal?

Well... it's legal up until the courts overturn it, eh?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 10:02 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Indeed, a law prohibiting the use of oatmeal as a breakfast food would be stupid, and forbid a very tasty breakfast food, but it would be legal. The Constitution doesn't protect oatmeal as a right. You simply cannot rightly claim all sorts of things are in the Constitution that it doesn't say.

Although I have theoretically withdrawn in exhaustion, I do have to respond to this point of yours. The opposite of what you say is true: You simply cannot rightly claim that the Constitution doesn't protect a right unless it explicitly enumerates it. The Constitution specifically invalidates this line of reasoning.

The Ninth Amendment provides: "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." Your whole argument against same sex marriage is that since it isn't among the rights enumerated in the Constitution, you can therefore deny and disparage that it's a right. How do you reconcile your argument with the Ninth Amendment? I don't see how you logically can.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:30 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
The Equal Protection Clause doesn't apply, since a refusal by the government, whether based on law or custom, to perform same sex marriages doesn't constitute permitting something to some people but not others. Such laws and such rules apply equally to everyone. Everyone may marry someone of the opposite sex and no one may marry someone of the same sex. The Equal Protection Clause doesn't mean that the law must permit each person to do what he wants to.

That's a pretty silly argument. Made me laugh. Thanks.

Yes, liberals usually choose mockery over argument.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:34 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

No, the equal protection clause says that a law may not describe different rules for the same people. The constitution presumes that all people are politically equal, and so any law that sets up a distinction among people is suspect. A law that treats otherwise equal persons unequally must have some sort of compelling state interest behind it, otherwise it's unconstitutional.

So, what is the compelling state interest behind treating people differently with regard to marriage?

Brandon9000 wrote:

Everything passed by the legislature isn't automatically legal. Must you make your point based on misrepresenting my position? Doesn't speak well for your position. My point is that the Constitution doesn not state that there should be a right to marry a person of one's own gender. Therefore, you cannot nullify a referendum which was voted into law based on the Constitution. I can claim that the Constitution protects my right to get a 20% raise this year, but it doesn't.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:38 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
Indeed, a law prohibiting the use of oatmeal as a breakfast food would be stupid, and forbid a very tasty breakfast food, but it would be legal. The Constitution doesn't protect oatmeal as a right. You simply cannot rightly claim all sorts of things are in the Constitution that it doesn't say.

Although I have theoretically withdrawn in exhaustion, I do have to respond to this point of yours. The opposite of what you say is true: You simply cannot rightly claim that the Constitution doesn't protect a right unless it explicitly enumerates it. The Constitution specifically invalidates this line of reasoning.

The Ninth Amendment provides: "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." Your whole argument against same sex marriage is that since it isn't among the rights enumerated in the Constitution, you can therefore deny and disparage that it's a right. How do you reconcile your argument with the Ninth Amendment? I don't see how you logically can.

This way. You cannot claim that the Consitution (or any law) protects something if it doesn't ever refer to it either directly or indirectly. The Constitution doesn't protect my right to a big, expensive house. In order for the Constitution (or any law) to protect a practice, it must make some mention of it, whether directly or indirectly. You cannot simply imagine all sorts of things into the Constitution. It doesn't mention same sex marriage and none of the vague, general principles it states apply.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:45 am
In other words, the omission of the right to eat oatmeal in the Constitution doesn't mean that there might not be such a right, but that is not the same as saying that the Constitution specifically protects it as a right.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:27 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
In order for the Constitution (or any law) to protect a practice, it must make some mention of it, whether directly or indirectly.

Okay, let's run with your standard for the moment. How would you apply it to interracial marriage? Do you agree with the Supreme Court about Loving v. Virginia, where it held that the Lovings had a right to marry each other? After all, he was white, she was black, and Virginia had criminalized their marriage in a duly enacted anti-miscegenation law. If you agree with the outcome in this case nevertheless, where in the Constitution do you find the Loving's right to marry?
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:42 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

lol. Too bad conservatives don't choose rational arguments that make sense.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:57 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
I can claim that the Constitution protects my right to get a 20% raise this year, but it doesn't.

What a ridiculous argument. Pathetic, really.

Do you really think that trying to conflate entitlement with permission is going to fly on a debate on this board?

Of course you do have a right to a 20% raise, provided you can convince your employer.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:04 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Everything passed by the legislature isn't automatically legal. Must you make your point based on misrepresenting my position? Doesn't speak well for your position. My point is that the Constitution doesn not state that there should be a right to marry a person of one's own gender. Therefore, you cannot nullify a referendum which was voted into law based on the Constitution. I can claim that the Constitution protects my right to get a 20% raise this year, but it doesn't.

Well, Thomas is effectively destroying that argument, so I won't step on his toes. Try answering his questions.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:23 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
....You cannot claim that the Consitution (or any law) protects something if it doesn't ever refer to it either directly or indirectly....

I seem to recall something about penumbras. But I agree with you that this entire Prop. 8 decision of the people of California getting appealed to the federal bench sounds amazingly like farce: http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/unfit_to_govern.html
Quote:
WASHINGTON, DC--In a historic decision with major implications for the future of U.S. participatory democracy, the Supreme Court ruled 8-1 Monday that the American people are unfit to govern........As a result of the ruling, the American people will no longer retain the power to choose their own federal, state and local officials or vote on matters of concern to the public.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:27 pm
@High Seas,
'.As a result of the ruling, the American people will no longer retain the power to choose their own federal, state and local officials or vote on matters of concern to the public.'

it's about time.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:30 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

lol. Too bad conservatives don't choose rational arguments that make sense.

Yet you appear unable to tell me how that post of mine which you commented on doesn't make sense. Repeating over and over that it's silly simply suggests that you lack the capacity to actually defend your position.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:40 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
In order for the Constitution (or any law) to protect a practice, it must make some mention of it, whether directly or indirectly.

Okay, let's run with your standard for the moment. How would you apply it to interracial marriage? Do you agree with the Supreme Court about Loving v. Virginia, where it held that the Lovings had a right to marry each other? After all, he was white, she was black, and Virginia had criminalized their marriage in a duly enacted anti-miscegenation law. If you agree with the outcome in this case nevertheless, where in the Constitution do you find the Loving's right to marry?

I just looked at the Loving case for a minute. Although I am against any attempt to limit marriage based on race, I also believe that the logic behind the Supreme Court decision was incorrect, at least based on my quick scan of the thing. The decision was apparently based on the Equal Protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, which would actually seem to have no bearing provided that the law itself treats all persons equally. I'm glad that the decision discouraged laws against interracial marriage, but the reasoning seems to be wrong. Anyway, your argument here is basically an appeal to authority, which is invalid in debate. Show me where and how the Constitution protects the right to same sex marriage or oatmeal, and stop telling me about how important people share your view.