Gay Marriage Vote Passes in DC City Council

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:29 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
It is your argument that wants to redefine marriage. I am happy the way it is.

Yeah, most Bigots are happy the way things are.

Cycloptichorn
High Seas

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 03:23 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Heh, we've had gay marriage before it was a twinkle in anyone's eye down there in da Southland....

At the not inconsiderable price of disenfranchising the entire Massachusetts electorate - which never did get a chance to join 31 other states in voting on that "homosexual marriage as a civil right" diktat of the Mass. Supreme Court. Fortunately the equal faith and credit clause ensures that this particular nonsense remains a local oddity until such time as it is overturned by the people of the state.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 03:26 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

jespah wrote:

Heh, we've had gay marriage before it was a twinkle in anyone's eye down there in da Southland....

At the not inconsiderable price of disenfranchising the entire Massachusetts electorate - which never did get a chance to join 31 other states in voting on that "homosexual marriage as a civil right" diktat of the Mass. Supreme Court. Fortunately the equal faith and credit clause ensures that this particular nonsense remains a local oddity until such time as it is overturned by the people of the state.

... which will never happen, as apparently it isn't a big deal at all.

The Mass. Supreme court is a coequal branch of Mass. government, and you should recognize that without the pejorative terminology.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 03:31 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

marriage as a civil right, interesting, I was married in a court house by a judge with a license issued by the county clerk. but then a driver's license isn't a civil right either and yet I see no discernible reason to deny one due to sexual orientation.

You're right - there's no reason to deny a driver's license to either David (left) or Sam (right), they can probably drive just as well as Stewart (middle), but a marriage license? I suppose if it's either naming those two as "my parents" or admitting that your (M/F) parents are spending 30 to life at taxpayers' expense for being axe murderers, much can be said for the entire cast of La Cage aux Folles Smile
http://images.broadwayworld.com/upload/41072/tn-500_img_0276.jpg
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 03:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Bigotry by your side doesnt exist ? Becuase you are a pathetic underdog and people are picking on you ? Therefore anyone who doesnt do what you want is a bigot ? Justify your statements with examples, because the last time I checked disagreeing with fools does not make me a bigot.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 03:39 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Bigotry by your side doesnt exist ?

What side? This is a logical fallacy on your part; I never made any statement to this effect at all.

Quote:

Becuase you are a pathetic underdog and people are picking on you ?

I am not an underdog, and nobody is picking on me at all, Bigot.

Quote:
Therefore anyone who doesnt do what you want is a bigot ? Justify your statements with examples, because the last time I checked disagreeing with fools does not make me a bigot.

I used to think you were an intelligent poster, but your participation in this thread is not reflective of that, for sure.

Those who wish and work to keep people UnEqual and to deny rights to their fellow citizens are bigots. You should just suck it up and admit it. Your prejudice against homosexuals is bigotry. The mental disorder which exists in this case isn't their sexuality, but your fear of them.

Cycloptichorn
Ionus

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I never made any statement to this effect at all.
Perhaps if you understand little than everything has to be spelt out for you. In an argument there are TWO sides. Count them with me...one, two...if you are not on one side, then you are on the other side. You see now ?

Quote:
Those who wish and work to keep people UnEqual and to deny rights to their fellow citizens are bigots. You should just suck it up and admit it. Your prejudice against homosexuals is bigotry. The mental disorder which exists in this case isn't their sexuality, but your fear of them.
I have friends who are homosexual. I only wish to deny them marriage. I believe they must have full equality under the law with heterosexual defactos. That can be achieved by tiding up what has become a very messy area legally. Your staunch support of something because it is homosexual shows you to be simply running thoughtlessly with the pack. Read the entire thread and you will know my thoughts on the matter. I will not lend my support to stupidity just to avoid a fool calling me a bigot.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:14 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
I never made any statement to this effect at all.
Perhaps if you understand little than everything has to be spelt out for you. In an argument there are TWO sides. Count them with me...one, two...if you are not on one side, then you are on the other side. You see now ?

I would try and avoid misspelling 'spelled' when castigating others, it really ruins the effect.

But, to discuss your eminently simplistic notion: what about arguments which have more than two points of view? Your black-and-white view of the world is not reflective of reality.

Quote:
Quote:
I have friends who are homosexual. I only wish to deny them marriage.

You wish to deny them equality, because you fear them. I bet you don't have the balls to tell them to your face what a bigot you are.

Quote:
I believe they must have full equality under the law with heterosexual defactos. That can be achieved by tiding up what has become a very messy area legally.

Then you agree they should be granted the right of Marriage, just like all other adults in our society; homosexuals deserve the right to marry the person they love despite your opinion on the validity of their relationship.

Quote:
Your staunch support of something because it is homosexual shows you to be simply running thoughtlessly with the pack.

I support nothing because it is 'homosexual.' I only support equality and equal rights for all. It doesn't matter to me why people are being discriminated against; the homosexuality is immaterial to the question - for me. I suspect that for you, it is not.

Quote:
Read the entire thread and you will know my thoughts on the matter. I will not lend my support to stupidity just to avoid a fool calling me a bigot.

I have read the entire thread, and you have made it perfectly clear that you are in fact a bigot. You seek to deny rights to one group based on your prejudice and fear of gays. That's bigotry, buddy, and you ought to just admit it.

If you had the courage of your convictions, you would. However, like other people in these conversations, you want to continue to hold views which are pernicious to the cause of Equality, yet escape censure for that. Too ******* bad.

The days in which people could be openly prejudiced against gays, and not be castigated for it, are long gone. Wake up to the modern world you live in and get with the times...

Cycloptichorn
Ionus

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:16 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
Studies have shown ....
Do you know how much bullshit is hidden in that one phrase ?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:18 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

I think that is rather nasty of you, to equate slavery with voluntarily sticking your dick in another man's arse.

I think comments like this are what reveal one's inner Homophobe. If you don't want to be labeled a homophobe and a bigot, then try and stay away from such things in the future.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:09 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
Cute.
Thank you, but I am seeing someone.
Quote:
Spoken like a 6 year old.
Starting to lose already ? Thats twice I have got the upper hand.
Quote:
If marriage exists for children then tell me why (1) infertile couples can legally marry, and (2) why children of the unwed aren't removed and placed in the homes of married couples.
Infertile couple do not know they are infertile, unless it is obviously a case of the same sex. As for (2), I have already answered that. It is not my fault you read selectively.
Quote:
marriage is not about children.
That is exactly what it is about. Historically and legally.
Quote:
The mechanism is never referred to as inadequate.
So you agree it is adequate ?
Quote:
the laws that are obstructing homosexuals need to be fixed.
That is your opinion and I disagree.

Quote:
Maybe the game is fine, and we just need a new ref.
Dont you vote ?

Quote:
And what of the legal protection of the children of homosexuals or children being raised by homosexuals?
Marrying homosexuals will not change who is on the birth certificate. There will always be grey areas, adopted children, children in a new marriage...none of these will be changed by marrying homosexuals.

Quote:
offered by granting homosexuals the same rights as heterosexuals
I have never been against the same rights for homosexuals. Is it your plan to pretend to defeat me by your own words attributed to me ? I am simply against homosexuals being married. They should have the same rights and legal protection as a defacto couple.

Quote:
You have yet to bring anything to the table.
This is your opinion and I have a very low regard for it. Time and again you have shown yourself incapable of admitting anything that goes against your argument. This is due to either an internal struggle on your part or simple fear of criticism.

Quote:
You first try and fillet me in another thread for being PC because I apparently choose answers that are socially acceptable, but somehow when I support gays, perhaps the most socially acceptable group to bash, I'm being politically correct?
In a political climate where even the Democrats pussy foot around being firm on helping the LGBT community, I'm being politically correct by supporting homosexuals in no vague terms?
I get the impression (again) you have no idea what politically correct is...Do you know someone who is a native English speaker? Perhaps you can ask them.

It is my opinion that homosexuals should enjoy full rights as do any defacto heterosexual couple. This includes tax, family law, adoption, etc... I do not think, for historical and emotional reasons, it should be called marriage.

Quote:
It's a terrible shame that you love you wife less and less with every gay couple that gets married. It's a terrible shame you lose more and more rights as a married couple as homosexuals become married. I feel real awful for you. Poor little guy. You're the real victim here.
Losing AGAIN ? Thats three times I have got the upper hand. Why do you argue if you are that delicate ? If my opinion is different to you, take a deep breath and (wait for it) ...admit you might be wrong. But you cant can you ? It is not possible for you to be wrong so long as you stay politically correct (perhaps you should google it, if none of your friends speak better english than you do).
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:27 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
Studies have shown ....
Do you know how much bullshit is hidden in that one phrase ?

No. I don't. Tell me. Tell me why research by individuals who have dedicated their lives to the healthy development of children is somehow bullshit and without credibility in your all knowing. Perhaps you think you know better than they do.

T
K
O
Ionus

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
spell 1 (spl)
v. spelled or spelt (splt), spellĀ·ing, spells
v.tr.
1. To name or write in order the letters constituting (a word or part of a word).
2. To constitute the letters of (a word): These letters spell animal.
3. To add up to; signify: Their unwise investment could spell financial ruin.
v.intr.
Quote:
I would try and avoid misspelling 'spelled' when castigating others, it really ruins the effect.
You wouldnt be wrong, would you dopey ?
Quote:
You wish to deny them equality, because you fear them.
Homophobic ? Does that still work where you are ? Why dont you admit you are heterophobic ?
Quote:
I bet you don't have the balls to tell them to your face what a bigot you are.
There is no end of assumptions with you is there ? How much do you want to bet ?

Quote:
Then you agree they should be granted the right of Marriage, just like all other adults in our society; homosexuals deserve the right to marry the person they love despite your opinion on the validity of their relationship.
All other adults in our society do not have the right to marry the person they love. I am not validating their relationship. That is up to them.
You dont even know what you are arguing against. Anyone who has been foloowing this thread must be wondering what you are going on about. Before you have another hissy fit, READ WHAT HAS GONE BEFORE !! Is that emphasis enough ?

Quote:
I suspect that for you, it is not.
Your suspicions, along with your guessing and your betting, are incorrect. But it was an excellent example of bigotry on your part.

You have given a fine example of an uninformed tirade against anyone who disagrees with you. Your support of anything so you can hide in the pack is shameful to intelligence.

The days in which people could be openly supportive of homosexuals without thinking, and not be castigated for it, because others were afraid of being called names, like bigot, are long gone. Wake up to the modern world you live in and get with the times...there is a grey area inbetween fagot and bigot....you are just scared of it.

Ionus

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:30 pm
@Diest TKO,
Or perhaps I have seen studies that were a fine example of expensive toilet paper. If the uninformed wish to say, Ohhhh...a study...that sounds impressive....it must be right...than fine, you go with that. For my part, I would examine the studies in some detail. When you have some sort of professional qualification you will be taught exactly what I mean.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:38 pm
@Ionus,
Yaknow what? You are probably the poorest supporter of your position I have ever met on A2K. Your arguments are illogical and childish.

Quote:
Homophobic ? Does that still work where you are ? Why dont you admit you are heterophobic ?

As a heterosexual, how could I be heterophobic? This is nonsensical, the type of retort a teenager would come back with.

Yes, homophobic is still a valid thing 'where I am,' because so many of you obviously are. You make it quite clear that you are, so why deny it?

Quote:

All other adults in our society do not have the right to marry the person they love.

Sure they do. Any adults in our society who love each other should be free to marry each other; and, except for gays, they generally are.

Quote:
I am not validating their relationship. That is up to them.

And the state - that important part, the part with the rights and all.

Quote:
You dont even know what you are arguing against. Anyone who has been foloowing this thread must be wondering what you are going on about. Before you have another hissy fit, READ WHAT HAS GONE BEFORE !! Is that emphasis enough ?

I did read the entire thread; nothing in there discounts what I've said at all.

Quote:
Your suspicions, along with your guessing and your betting, are incorrect. But it was an excellent example of bigotry on your part.

You don't know what the word 'bigot' means.

Quote:
You have given a fine example of an uninformed tirade against anyone who disagrees with you. Your support of anything so you can hide in the pack is shameful to intelligence.

Supporting gay marriage is hardly 'hiding in the pack.' I really have no personal dog in this fight; my marriage is unaffected by how this turns out. Instead, I CHOOSE to put myself forward and engage mouthbreathing ******* bigots like yourself, because I believe in Equality.

Quote:
The days in which people could be openly supportive of homosexuals without thinking, and not be castigated for it, because others were afraid of being called names, like bigot, are long gone. Wake up to the modern world you live in and get with the times...there is a grey area inbetween fagot and bigot....you are just scared of it.

You couldn't be more wrong. Gay marriage and gays in general are mainstream now, bro. Support for gay marriage is at it's highest levels ever. It's against the law to commit hate crimes against Gays in the majority of states and soon on the federal level. You obviously ARE afraid of being called a bigot, because you rail so hard against it. If you aren't afraid, then admit it: admit your bigotry and own up to it.

I predict you will not, and instead will continue to insist that people should be unEqual - but of course, you support Equality. Unconvincing in the extreme.

Tired of arguing with you, Bigot, so instead I will let it go with this: the march of Equality is not going to stop, and it's going to go right over you and your fellow bigot's objections. Get used to gays and gay marriage, because - like other equal rights issues - it's a'comin, and not going anywhere.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:39 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Or perhaps I have seen studies that were a fine example of expensive toilet paper. If the uninformed wish to say, Ohhhh...a study...that sounds impressive....it must be right...than fine, you go with that. For my part, I would examine the studies in some detail. When you have some sort of professional qualification you will be taught exactly what I mean.

Typical idiocy from an uneducated fool. What sort of professional qualifications do you claim?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Yaknow what? You are probably the poorest supporter of your position I have ever met on A2K. Your arguments are illogical and childish.
Boy, you really get upset when you incorrectly lecture someone on spelling, dont you ?
Quote:
As a heterosexual, how could I be heterophobic?
You need to read something on the psychology of sex before you make any more assumptions.
Quote:
This is nonsensical, the type of retort a teenager would come back with.
Of course ! Now I see ! You must be right there is no other possiblility ! Sorry God, I didnt recognise you.
Quote:
Any adults in our society who love each other should be free to marry each other; and, except for gays, they generally are.
There are laws on immigration, incest, marriage itself, etc..that control marriage. But why are you only talking about gays ? Was that a Freudian Slip - planning something ? Shouldnt lesbians be included ?
Quote:
I did read the entire thread; nothing in there discounts what I've said at all.
Take the rose coloured glasses off.
Quote:
BIGOT
n.
One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.
Quote:
Supporting gay marriage is hardly 'hiding in the pack.'AND Gay marriage and gays in general are mainstream now
Which is it ?
Quote:
engage mouthbreathing ******* bigots like yourself, because I believe in Equality.
But not too much equality, right ? Just equality for those you determine should be equal.
Your emotions have run straight over your intelligence. I'll let others determine how intelligent you are.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:03 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
I'll let others determine how intelligent you are.

Wow, imagine my relief! Rolling Eyes

As I said - and as you didn't respond to - the tide of gayness and gay marriage is a'rollin in and you can't stop it. How does that feel? Better get used to it!

Cycloptichorn
Ionus

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
If successful I think it will produce more problems than it solves and will miss an opportunity to correct related wrongs. But I can live with it.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:13 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

If successful I think it will produce more problems than it solves and will miss an opportunity to correct related wrongs. But I can live with it.

What problems could it possibly produce? What related 'wrongs' could be righted, that this will screw up?

Other than to scare homophobes and bigots, I can't imagine what you think the effects would be.

Cycloptichorn