Gay Marriage Vote Passes in DC City Council

spendius

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:28 am
@aidan,
Quote:
Just like if I had the choice of a good, inspiring teacher who was homosexual or an uninspiring and rule or detail driven teacher who was heterosexual - I know which one I'd pick.

So do I. Especially if the teacher was a lady of refinement and delicate sensibilities and obsessed with rules and details.
spendius

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:30 am
@aidan,
Quote:
I gave up trying to make friends here a long time ago.

That's a really shocking thing to say Rebecca. You could look like somebody sat in the pub inglenook muttering to yourself.
Ionus

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:15 am
@aidan,
The priority for children :

1) Both natural parents.
2) One natural parent and an adopted parent of the other sex.
3) Both adopted heterosexual parents.
4) One adopted heterosexual parent
5) Two female adopted parents
6) Two male adopted parents

This assumes all other things are equal. The real problem with adoption is ensuring the quality of the people doing the adoption.
aidan

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:19 am
@spendius,
Quote:
So do I. Especially if the teacher was a lady of refinement and delicate sensibilities and obsessed with rules and details.

So, you'd go for the good, inspiring homosexual one? Laughing Laughing

Just kidding - after I wrote that about which I know I'd choose, I thought to myself well if the rule or detail driven teacher was a good looking guy - I might have to sacrifice my principles. Just for that one class...

But I don't like rule driven people. They make me feel stifled. I always end up feeling like I can't breathe around them. Seriously - I feel like I'm being enclosed and constricted into this tiny little space.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:19 am
Quote:
Just like if I had the choice of a good, inspiring teacher who was homosexual or an uninspiring and rule or detail driven teacher who was heterosexual - I know which one I'd pick.
What works is very individualised....I had a friend who never missed a word one of the education officers said. She had a speech impediment and he used to go all funny at the end of class when she would yell out "thwee wanks on the woad".
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:25 am
@spendius,
Quote:
That's a really shocking thing to say Rebecca. You could look like somebody sat in the pub inglenook muttering to yourself.

That'll never happen. One of my rules is that I (as a lady) don't go into a pub by myself. Just a holdover from my mother's rulebook of the do's and dont's of ladylike behavior.

And it's a good one. I might go in alone at lunchtime if I have a paper to read or something- but not at night. It's uncomfortable,-you spend the whole time being looked over by men and women alike- 'What do you think HER story is...' once one of my friends told me that before people in my village got to know me they talked about me as the mysterious, American woman - the only thing anyone knew about me was that I was vegetarian...
Laughing Laughing

Oh lord - life is fun - but now that I know people I don't have to go in the pub by myself anymore.

What I meant by the friends thing is that if someone is only friends with people who they agree with - I wouldn't want to be friends with that sort of person anyway. I like people who know their own minds and aren't threatened by people who don't agree with them - or maybe anyone- it's so much more interesting.
aidan

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:28 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
The priority for children :

1) Both natural parents.
2) One natural parent and an adopted parent of the other sex.
3) Both adopted heterosexual parents.
4) One adopted heterosexual parent
5) Two female adopted parents
6) Two male adopted parents

This assumes all other things are equal. The real problem with adoption is ensuring the quality of the people doing the adoption.

Oh my lord - what are these - rules for a happy childhood?

I won't be pulled into your trap though and continue to divert Diest's thread Ionus. I've got your number from Farmerman and Ms. Olga...you troll you . Laughing Laughing
(That's a joke- if a person's funny - they can break almost any rule they want as far as I'm concerned- it's more fun to talk to people who allow conversation to flow naturally).
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:58 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

Foofie wrote:
Being gay is not like being a Jew in 1942 Berlin.

Actually, being a gay in 1942 Berlin, was very much like being a Jew in 1942 Berlin.

Both were put to death in the camps.

Textbook irony.
K
O

While correct, my original point has been misconstrued, due possibly to my not communicating with the needed detail.

Being a gay in the U.S. in the 21st century (so far), is not like being a Jew or gay in 1942 Berlin. I think I have now corrected the statement to be correct.

Yeah, being a gay person in the USA in 2010 is not like being a Jewish person in Berlin in 1942... It's so true.

Other truths include...

-Being a gay person in the USA in 2010 in USA, is not like being a gay person in 1942 Berlin.

-Being a Jewish person in the USA in 2010 in the USA, is not like being a Jewish person in 1942 Berlin.

-Being a Jewish person in the USA in 2010 in the USA, is not like being a gay person in 1942 Berlin.

T
K
O
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 07:04 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

According to you all people support homosexual marriages for exactly the same reason.

What's the opposite of "Ver batim?" I ask because this is literally the exact opposite of what I've said.

Ionus wrote:

There are many reasons why but you dont want to look at them because you are blinded by stupidity and a nazi style approach where anyone disagreeing is a foul low life who should be put in the ovens.

Argumentum ad Hitler

LOL, no really.

T
K
O
spendius

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 07:21 am
@aidan,
Quote:
once one of my friends told me that before people in my village got to know me they talked about me as the mysterious, American woman - the only thing anyone knew about me was that I was vegetarian...

Like The French Lieutenant's Woman eh? I would have known plenty about you Rebecca even if I didn't know you were a veggie. Just by looking.

But--There is a famous portrait of Arabella Fermor (1696-1737)by Sykes which is now, I gather, somewhere in Wales, and damaged. She was the belle of London in her prime. The theft of one of her curls, which Hogarth had said was "too alluring to be strictly decent", by Lord Petre caused a feud between two society families previously on very good terms.

She is the Belinda of Pope's Rape of the Lock which was written to "laugh them together again". Beneath the reproduction of the portrait I have seen is written--"Though gay yet modest, though sublime yet sweet." Which is from the poem.

What is a young budding poet to make of such a line these days. I will never forgive homosexuals for stealing that word. Never. They were stealing our literary heritage. As important as an building. And what for--to try to make out that there is gaiety in being homosexual and thus to encourage it.

And when the word "marriage" comes to mean a bit of a lark where people show off, get pissed and spend a pile of dough rather that it meaning a serious committment for better or for worse another word will be demolished and more literature will be distorted beyond all recognition.

After that what's next. Pussy? Tits? Table ender? They won't rest until we can't tell one from the other.

The whole literary canon is heterosexual. Is than an affront to homosexual sensibilities? Are we to cancel literature?

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 07:23 am
@Diest TKO,
Being a person living at No 22 is not like being a person living at No 24.

What a silly argument TK. It's absolutely meaningless.
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 12:45 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Being a person living at No 22 is not like being a person living at No 24.

What a silly argument TK. It's absolutely meaningless.

Take that up with Foofie spendi. This was my point. It's absurd to discredit gay/lesbian strife by comparing it to the Jews of Berlin in 1942.

T
K
O
spendius

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:06 pm
@Diest TKO,
I know it was your point. I was agreeing with you. I was so ashamed of agreeing with you that I tried to downplay it a bit.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:28 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Oh my lord - what are these - rules for a happy childhood?
Yes they are. Start playing with the sequence and see what a mess you can make of a child's life, see whether they would be happier with a different order.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:30 pm
@Diest TKO,
Clearly you understand nothing. Take your pick who would you rather be.....a jew in 1942 Berlin or a homosexual in 2010 New York ? I know you have lots of trouble with this sort of test, so I'll get you started...homosexual in...

There you go. You work out the rest.
Foofie

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:44 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Clearly you understand nothing. Take your pick who would you rather be.....a jew in 1942 Berlin or a homosexual in 2010 New York ? I know you have lots of trouble with this sort of test, so I'll get you started...homosexual in...

There you go. You work out the rest.

Somebody apparently understands my thinking.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:44 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
this is literally the exact opposite of what I've said.
Dont confuse yourself and change sides. Your argument has been that there is no point analysing why people support homosexual marriage. I maintain that people can be grouped for analysis or reasons. To you this is pointless, because the decision was made by a majority of men so we can not analyse why women support it. If differences can not be determined and commented on, then they are all the same for purposes of analysis.

Quote:
Argumentum ad Hitler
You dont want people to disagree with you. You want to change things but we are to take your word for it. Your criteria is if the sky is not falling then nothing has happened. You offer no mechanism for monitoring change. You have even vilified anyone who disagrees with you. Yep, that sounds like Hitler to me...
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:47 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
gay/lesbian
You cant even get the terminology right. Does saying homosexual hurt your feelings ? Not all female homosexuals come from Lesbos. Not all male homosexuals are gay...many have not been since aids arrived. Wild parties where everyone bends over are no longer in fashion. They are not gay anymore...far from it.
0 Replies