Gay Marriage Vote Passes in DC City Council

High Seas

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 04:08 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas - given the vast extent of legal ignorance displayed on this thread, you may wish to add that Amendments must be ratified. That's means the people must vote - duh!
Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 04:15 pm
@High Seas,
Thanks -- I snuck the ratification part into the post before the opportunity to edit expired.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 04:25 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:

> specifically this phrase: "...a right so basic and fundamental and so deep-rooted in our society as the right of privacy in marriage...", and try to grasp by how many orders of magnitude the importance of the one-man-one-woman rule exceeds that of any right to privacy.

This is merely the opinion of a bigot; it has no real relevance in our day-to-day world. Allowing two men or two women to marry doesn't violate the 9th amendment in any way, and courts deciding that our laws must allow them to marry doesn't either; because the act of other people marrying does not deny anyone of their rights. The government granting rights to groups which were previously denied them (for arbitrary reasons) does not deny rights to anyone at all.

There is no 'importance' to the one-man one-woman rule at all. None.

Quote:
Thomas - given the vast extent of legal ignorance displayed on this thread, you may wish to add that Amendments must be ratified. That's means the people must vote - duh!

Amendments are extremely infrequent and certainly do not represent the same process as law-making. You are trying to shift arguments in the middle.

Weak ****, I was honestly hoping you could come up with something a little better than this.

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 04:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Amendments are extremely infrequent and certainly do not represent the same process as law-making. You are trying to shift arguments in the middle.

However infrequent in general, amendments were the remedy of the particular discriminations Diest had brought up. Not High Seas, not me, but him. Please read back a page or two, and then reconsider whom you are accusing of "weak ****".
sstainba

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 05:25 pm
@Ionus,
Unfortunately, this happens anyway. Far too many people in this country are completely unable to think for themselves. It's too easy for an intelligent person to take advantage of them. And example? Bush rode the gay marriage issue into the white house with ease. Another example? Death panels. The idea was ridiculous, but people were all too willing to believe that Obama proposed, basically, killing people.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 06:23 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

However infrequent in general, amendments were the remedy of the particular discriminations Diest had brought up. Not High Seas, not me, but him. Please read back a page or two, and then reconsider whom you are accusing of "weak ****".

That has nothing to do with HS' response to my post here:

http://able2know.org/topic/138900-6#post-3841633

If she had been responding to Diest, you would have a point. However, she was responding to a different post entirely, so you do not.

I continue to maintain that what I said in that post is entirely accurate:

Quote:

Nobody is 'dismantling' the democratic process. Courts and legislatures deciding upon laws is the democratic process. I submit that those who don't think it is have very little understanding of what the democratic process is.

The fact that Constitutional amendments must be ratified in order to go into effect doesn't have anything to do with my point at all. So, yes; both HS and anyone else who claims that courts and legislatures instituting legalized gay marriage is 'dismantling democracy' is peddling weak ****.

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 06:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
If she had been responding to Diest, you would have a point. However, she was responding to a different post entirely, so you do not.

Fair enough -- my mistake.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 06:44 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Fair enough -- my mistake.

No worries; after all, we ARE the same person, so it's easy to see how these mistakes get made.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 09:06 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
The next step is to have children. After all, they are married, why cant they have children ?

Because some places in the world have legal barriers against same sex couples adopting children. This abberation shall pass as well.
Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 09:17 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Sorry, I believe in democracy. I think that the citizens have the right to determine their own government,

Citizens do have the right to determine their own government, but that doesn't give the government the rightful power to govern everything. To the contrary, its powers remain limited by the inalienable rights of the governed -- and these rights include the liberty to marry the partner of your choice, not the government's choice.

I am mildly surprised that I should have to explain the principle of limited government to a conservative.

(Not that it has anything to do with the decision in Washington which, again, was brought about by the elective branches.)
Ionus

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:06 am
@sstainba,
Quote:
Death panels.
Being half a planet away I missed this one..can you briefly explain it please ?
dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:30 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
This abberation shall pass as well.

It shall....it IS....
0 Replies

sstainba

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 01:38 pm
@Ionus,
A proposition in one of the bills included "end of life counseling" which was then turned into a "death panel". It was likened to a panel of people who would decide if old people get to live or die (by denying certain procedures or medications).

In actuality, physician provide end-of-life counseling NOW as part of their oath. N-stage patients are asked if they have considered a DNR in the event of a full code. In many cases, we may be able to keep their body alive by various mechanical means, but the person will be dead by all reasonable definitions. Patients are asked if they want these measures taken.

There is a lot more to it, but that is the basics of it... it was something taken completely out of context and with no actual explanation and morphed into a slogan/idea used to kill the bill itself.
Ionus

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 06:13 pm
@sstainba,
Thanks for that. Doctors told my mum to go home and get her things in order she had two days to live. There was no assessment of whether she was capable or had the support of family ( I was still in the army and made it to the funeral). She spent the last days opening and closing drawers in total shock. It seems out of fear for our own death we ignore the rights of people. Some laws are a crime against humanity and some sort of end of life care/counselling is desperately needed.
Diest TKO

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:56 pm
DCist wrote:

Hearing Set for Initiative Limiting Marriage in D.C.

Today the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics set a hearing date for an initiative proposed by a Ward 8 resident that would limit marriage in the District to heterosexual couples.

The initiative simply reads, "Marriage is the legally recognized union between one man and one woman. No person may enter into a marriage in the District of Columbia with another person unless it is a man and a woman." The board will hear arguments for and against the initiative on Feb. 16.

This is the second initiative filed so far; there have also been two referenda petitions filed. This initiative was proposed by Joyce Little in late December. This isn't Little's first attempt to stop same-sex marriage from becoming legal in the District, either. According to the D.C. Agenda, Little filed a motion in December that would have stopped the D.C. Council from voting on the same-sex marriage legislation. Her motion was turned down. (click on link below to get to original article and PDF)

Little, who has identified herself as a Christian who sees homosexuality as an "abomination," has also argued that same-sex marriage will have a negative impact on the city's poor.

"[W]hat about low-income and working-class African Americans who have grown up in this city and are struggling to eke out a living the best way they can amidst 20 percent underemployment and unemployment[?] They will be the big losers. Once this bill is passed homosexuals from all over the country and world will flock to DC like pigeons on a piece of bread. They will overwhelm the city, buying up expensive condominiums and accelerating gentrification. The council will continue to enact laws to allow real estate companies to increase rents and convert rental property to condominiums. Low income and working class people will not be able to afford to live in these properties and will have to leave the city, amounting to a mass exodus. What this bill economically amounts to is a legalized land grab, something the establishment has been trying to accomplish for years but have been unable to do until now," she wrote in a posting to themail, a bi-weekly email newsletter on D.C. politics.

As we wrote yesterday, the same-sex marriage battle has intensified this week. Bishop Harry Jackson and his congressional supporters argued in court that the city's election authority should allow same-sex marriage to be voted on, while filing a request for another vote overturning the same-sex marriage law passed by the D.C. Council and signed by Mayor Adrian Fenty. They told the D.C. Agenda that their strategy involves filing as many requests for votes and responding with consequent lawsuits until a court agrees with them.

source: http://dcist.com/2010/01/hearing_set_for_initiative_limiting.php

T
K
O
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:19 pm
@Ionus,
Sorry about your mother. The health care bill btw is moribund but not yet dead.

Back to topic: anyone not in New York wants to have New York magazine January 4-11 issue I'll mail it to him/her if this article isn't available online: "4,000 Pages and Counting".

It's about Larry Kramer's (AIDS activist now campaigning for homosexual marriage) new book. Very interesting - the man can write!
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 06:19 pm
Quote:

Same-Sex Marriage Battle Kicks into High Gear

Ahhhh. With D.C.'s same-sex marriage law now before Congress for a cursory 30-day review, we can all sit back and wait for the happy couples to exchange vows, right? Maybe not so much.

This week has seen a flurry of activity in the ongoing battle for marriage equality in the District. On Wednesday, Bishop Harry Jackson and his ilk appeared in D.C. Superior Court to request that the city be forced to hold a vote on whether or not to permit same-sex marriage. The D.C. Board of Elections twice ruled last year that such votes would violate the city's Human Rights Act, a charge Jackson and his supporters are contesting.

For yesterday's court battle, Jackson showed up with a little muscle -- a Friend of the Court brief signed by 39 congressional Republicans, including Minority Leader John Boehner (Ohio), Minority Whip Eric Cantor (Va.), and senators James Inhofe (Ok.) and Roger Wicker (Miss.). Their arguments -- which can be read in full here (.PDF) -- boil down to this: since the District wrongfully amended its referendum law in 1977, prohibiting any referenda based on the provisions of the Human Rights Act is a non-starter. The brief also argued that a vote on same-sex marriage simply wouldn't violate the provisions of the Human Rights Act because gay couples would not be discriminated against since they would still be free to marry people of the opposite sex. (Just stop being gay, folks, and you can marry!)

More broadly, though, the GOP brief implies that the District just can't do anything Congress doesn't explicitly give the go-ahead for. From the brief: "As members of the District's ultimate legislative body, amici are concerned about the extent of the District's delegated legislative authority, the preservation of Congress's constitutional authority, and the interpretation of home rule." So since they didn't give the OK for the D.C. Council to proceed on this, the council simply shouldn't have.

The GLAA Forum has word on a counter-brief filed by the Campaign for All D.C. Families, which can be read here in .PDF format.

But there's more. On top of waging their legal battles, opponents of marriage equality are again pushing to have the issue put before the District's voters, in one form or another. Opponents of marriage equality have again filed a request for a referendum (.PDF), this time on whether the same-sex law passed by the council and signed by Mayor Adrian Fenty should be implemented or not. Those requesting this referendum include Jackson, Rev. Anthony Evans, ANC Commissioner Bob King and former D.C. delegate Walter Fauntroy. At the same time, another group of opponents have filed a request -- improperly, we're told -- for a vote on defining marriage in the District as being only between a man and a woman.

So as they fight in court to get one question on the ballot, same-sex marriage opponents are at the same time pushing to get two different, yet similar, referenda before voters. If the Board of Elections and Ethics sticks to the same reasoning they've used twice before, those will also likely get shot down. And Jackson and company will sue. Again. And probably file a request for yet another referendum or initiative. (Referenda are votes to prohibit existing legislation from taking effect, while initiatives are votes to create a law. So far, one referendum has been shot down and one more has been filed. One initiative is before the courts, and one more has been filed.) This could go on for a while.

Of course, this is just the local angle. While Congress isn't likely to step in and derail the legislation during its 30-day review period, we've been surprised before. And even if it does survive the review, we still naturally expect there could be an attempt to attach a rider banning spending on gay marriage to next year's D.C. appropriations bill.

source: http://dcist.com/2010/01/ahhhh_with_the_dc_same-sex.php#comments

T
K
O
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 06:32 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Back to topic: anyone not in New York wants to have New York magazine January 4-11 issue I'll mail it to him/her if this article isn't available online: "4,000 Pages and Counting".

It's about Larry Kramer's (AIDS activist now campaigning for homosexual marriage) new book. Very interesting - the man can write!

http://nymag.com/news/features/62887/
High Seas

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 12:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you very much - the whole thread thanks you, I'm sure.

Had to meet with some lawyers (SEC law, not constitutional, but the entire legal profession is following the California case starting today) who thought this author might be called to testify - though whether for the plaintiffs or not isn't clear at this point:
Quote:
Critics have accused Judge Walker of judicial bias, pointing to an earlier ruling against Proposition 8. Attorneys for the plaintiffs had asked to see internal Proposition 8 campaign communications, arguing that they might reveal attempts to create a "discriminatory animus" against gays. Judge Walker ruled in favor of the plaintiffs, but a federal appeals court panel in December reversed his decision.

"Judge Walker has not shown himself to be an impartial judge in this case," said Mr. Brown. "He has attempted to make this entire process a circus, and he wants to be the ringleader by putting it on television."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jan/06/gay-marriage-foes-lash-out-at-plan-to-televise-pro/
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 12:10 pm
@High Seas,
From your piece,

Quote:

"Judge Walker has not shown himself to be an impartial judge in this case," said Mr. Brown. "He has attempted to make this entire process a circus, and he wants to be the ringleader by putting it on television."

I believe that Mr. Brown knows just how bad his arguments will sound when presented out loud, and he doesn't want to present anything which will encourage people to go against his position.

Cycloptichorn