Amanda Knox

oralloy

Sat 11 May, 2013 09:08 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
It's not being published in Germany. If stores there sell it, the books will have to be imported from outside Europe.
If the books are imported into Germany, perhaps stores in the UK will import them as well.

They are imported ... and sold via online book sellers or in bookshops (which order them from their wholesale dealers) from April 30 onwards.

Mignini seems to think he is going to get courts across Europe to ban and seize all copies of Amanda's book on European soil. I make no predictions regarding his success.

Well, Mignini has in fact just launched a libel lawsuit over the book.

I am hesitant to link the article, as the article has links to some of Lumumba's horrific lies about Amanda (sure is cool that that freak lost his "precious bar"). But I can confirm that this is being reported by a Rupert Murdoch publication.

This story will probably be picked up by other media outlets. Once I see an article that isn't accompanied by such atrocious links, I'll be sure to post a link to that article here.

Anyway, it's not terribly likely that any court in a civilized nation will enforce rulings made in Italy's third-world courts. And all the book profits are safely in the civilized world.

It's also not terribly likely that any Italian libel judgements against Amanda will ultimately stand in the European Court of Human Rights.

This should all make for good publicity for the book however.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 12 May, 2013 06:12 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
First time I think I've ever seen a picture of her happy. Very Happy
(BTW, the audio version of her book is narrated by Amanda herself.)

Doh! They changed the picture from that nice one they had of her smiling.

It was nice to see her finally able to smile. Why'd they swap it for one with no expression on it? Sad
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 12 May, 2013 06:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Any Europeans seeking to buy Amanda's book will likely need to purchase it from the American version of Amazon (or a similar US site).

... or wait until May when it's sold here, if she/he really wants to get it. (It will take some time to get it shipped from USA, too.)

Is the English language version available in Germany still? Or just the German language version of her book?
Walter Hinteler

Sun 12 May, 2013 06:54 am
@oralloy,
Both. The German version a kindle/eBook as well.
oralloy

Sun 12 May, 2013 08:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Both. The German version a kindle/eBook as well.

It is being claimed by one of Mignini's henchmen that the English language version has been removed from all European markets.

The person making the claim is a shameless liar, so the claim may well be untrue. But I checked all the various Amazon.com sites in Europe, and the only occurrence of Amanda's book on any of them was the German language version on the German Amazon.com site.

It did come in both print and kindle, but not in English (at least as of a few hours ago).

That said, what is true of Amazon.com may not be true of every store in Germany.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 12 May, 2013 08:33 am
@oralloy,
It can't be ordered via amazon, correct.
But via other other online booksellers and, of course, in normal local bookshops. (EUR 21,30 for the English version [Harper Collins USA , 05.2013] vs. EUR 19,99 for the German edition.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 17 May, 2013 09:01 am

Raffaele is a Hero

http://www.today.com/news/amanda-knoxs-ex-raffaele-sollecito-she-thinks-im-hero-1C9965570
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 17 May, 2013 02:25 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

New York Times best seller list for the week ending May 11, 2013:

#6 Hardcover:
http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2013-05-26/hardcover-nonfiction/list.html

#6 Print and E-book Combined:
http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2013-05-26/combined-print-and-e-book-nonfiction/list.html
contrex

Fri 17 May, 2013 04:37 pm
Amanda Knox: murdering bitch.
oralloy

Fri 17 May, 2013 05:33 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
Amanda Knox: murdering bitch.

Stop lying. The only murderer here is Rudy Guede, and the only bitches here are Meredith's sister and mother.

And in one of the most awesome cases of poetic justice in human history, those bitches are going to have to watch the murderer go free soon, and all because their efforts to send innocent people to prison inadvertently gave the murderer a massive sentence reduction.

And on top of that, after all their hopes of making money off sending innocent people to prison, the Kercher bitches are now having to watch their victims make all the money.

Karma sure is awesome! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 18 May, 2013 05:21 pm

Interesting tidbits from an Italian magazine article:
http://www.oggi.it/attualita/cronaca/2013/03/26/amanda-knox-e-raffaele-sollecito-di-nuovo-a-processo-parola-di-cassazione/

Microsoft Translator:
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=it&to=en&a=http://www.oggi.it/attualita/cronaca/2013/03/26/amanda-knox-e-raffaele-sollecito-di-nuovo-a-processo-parola-di-cassazione/

Google Translator:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=it&tl=en&u=http://www.oggi.it/attualita/cronaca/2013/03/26/amanda-knox-e-raffaele-sollecito-di-nuovo-a-processo-parola-di-cassazione/

Quote:
“CONCORSO IN OMICIDIO” – C’è da ricordare che, con rito abbreviato, Rudy Guede fu condannato a 16 anni per “concorso in omicidio”. Dopo l’assoluzione di Amanda e Raffaele in Appello, restava in sospeso proprio il concorso: con chi Rudy Guede ha ucciso Meredith? Ecco uno dei motivi per cui la Cassazione ha annullato la sentenza d’Appello a carico della Knox e di Sollecito. E ha imposto il ritorno in tribunale dei due ragazzi.

Microsoft Translator:
"COMPETITION IN murder" – it must be borne in mind that, with the abbreviated rite, Rudy Guede was sentenced to 16 years for "homicide" contest. After the acquittal of Amanda and Raffaele, appeals pending remained just the contest: with whom Rudy Guede killed Meredith? Here's one of the reasons why the Supreme Court overturned the appellate ruling against Knox and Sollecito. And imposed a return to Court of the two boys.

Google Translator:
"COMPETITION IN MURDER" - It must be remembered that, on summary judgment, Rudy Guede was sentenced to 16 years for "conspiracy to commit murder." After the acquittal of Amanda and Raffaele on appeal, it remained dormant own the competition: who Rudy Guede killed Meredith? Here's one of the reasons why the Supreme Court of Appeal set aside the judgment against Knox and Sollecito. It has forced the return to court of the two boys.

Quote:
IL PROCURATORE - Nella sua requisitoria, il procuratore generale della Cassazione Luigi Riello aveva duramente criticato i giudici d’appello: “In questo processo il giudice di merito ha smarrito la bussola”, ha detto Riello. “Ci sono tutti i presupposti perché non cali il sipario su un delitto sconvolgente di cui per ora resta come unico condannato Rudy Guede”. E il sipario, in effetti, ora sarà rialzato.

Microsoft Translator:
The PROSECUTOR – in his indictment, the Attorney General of the Court of Cassation Luigi Riello had heavily criticized appellate judges: "In this process, the trial court has lost the compass", said Riello. "There are all conditions why not drop the curtain on a shocking crime which for now remains as the only sentenced Rudy Guede". And the curtain, in effect, will now be raised.

Google Translator:
THE ATTORNEY - In its indictment, the Prosecutor General of the Supreme Court Luigi Riello had harshly criticized the appeal judges: "In this process, the trial court has lost its compass," said Riello. "There is every reason why not drop the curtain on a shocking crime which for now remains as the only convicted Rudy Guede." And the curtain, in effect, will now be raised.

It looks like Cassation is telling the lower courts that since Guede was convicted of conspiracy, the lower courts now have to say who the other conspirators were.

Setting aside the fact that the evidence clearly shows that Guede was alone when he committed the crime, even if there actually were evidence of conspirators, it would seem like finding those conspirators would be the job of the police, not of a trial court.

In other words, this is just a show trial being put on by a third-world legal system. (Yes, we already knew that, but since it has been made so clear once again, I thought I'd make a note of it.)

I wish that Raffaele would stay here in America. We'd be happy to protect him. He is taking a grave risk every time he sets foot back on Italian soil.

After the European Court of Human Rights officially overturns all the charges and hands the Italian treasury over to him and Amanda, then he can safely return home. Until then though, I'd feel better if he stayed here where it is safe.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 18 May, 2013 11:03 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

In other words, this is just a show trial being put on by a third-world legal system. (Yes, we already knew that, but since it has been made so clear once again, I thought I'd make a note of it.)
As said before: you have no idea about how different legal systems to common law work.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 18 May, 2013 11:09 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

After the European Court of Human Rights officially overturns all the charges and hands the Italian treasury over to him and Amanda, then he can safely return home. Until then though, I'd feel better if he stayed here where it is safe.
The European Court of Human Rights can't overturn any criminal judgement in any member state - it's not a "supreme court'!
oralloy

Sun 19 May, 2013 02:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

As said before: you have no idea about how different legal systems to common law work.

No, I have a pretty good idea how they work.

Are you saying that the appeals court, if it is ordered to "find the conspirators" while it is retrying Amanda and Raffaele, will have the authority and resources to conduct a search for conspirators other than Amanda and Raffaele?
oralloy

Sun 19 May, 2013 02:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

The European Court of Human Rights can't overturn any criminal judgement in any member state - it's not a "supreme court'!

So what do they do when a country like Italy commits grave violations of people's human rights? Seems like they do something of some sort.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 19 May, 2013 03:20 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
So what do they do when a country like Italy commits grave violations of people's human rights?
That's regulated by the Rules of Court. And the court does nothing before the case is registered.

oralloy wrote:
Seems like they do something of some sort.
That's your opinion.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 19 May, 2013 03:23 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Are you saying that the appeals court, if it is ordered to "find the conspirators" while it is retrying Amanda and Raffaele, will have the authority and resources to conduct a search for conspirators other than Amanda and Raffaele?
No.
oralloy

Sun 19 May, 2013 03:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
So what do they do when a country like Italy commits grave violations of people's human rights?

That's regulated by the Rules of Court. And the court does nothing before the case is registered.

That doesn't really answer my question as to what they do when a country like Italy commits grave violations of someone's human rights.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Seems like they do something of some sort.

That's your opinion.

Well, if I'm wrong, if they don't actually do anything at all, it seems like a lot of lawyers are being paid to do nothing at all.

More importantly, if Europe is truly a monstrous place where grave human rights violations are allowed to go on unchecked, then they are a blight upon the human race, and we should look into conquering and forcibly civilizing them.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 19 May, 2013 03:39 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

That doesn't really answer my question as to what they do when a country like Italy commits grave violations of someone's human rights.
Sorry, but that's how it's established by the European Convention on Human Rights.
oralloy

Sun 19 May, 2013 03:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

No.

Then my original statement was correct. Ordering the lower court to "find the other conspirators" in the course of Amanda and Raffaele's trial will result in nothing but a show trial in a third-world legal system.