Amanda Knox

oralloy

Mon 3 Oct, 2011 02:29 pm
Note: the Italians are starting to RIOT in response to the verdict.

(No, I'm not joking. Though at this point I don't know how serious it will be. Suppose it could still quickly blow over.)
eurocelticyankee

Mon 3 Oct, 2011 02:35 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Because of the horrible way he has slandered Amanda in the media
Was it not the other way round?.

Quote:
Point of information: My IQ is ten times higher than yours and ossobuco's combined.
If that were the case surely you could come up with a better retort, in other words, "change the record", you're boring.
Stupid boy

ossobuco

Mon 3 Oct, 2011 02:46 pm
Amanda's conviction overturned.
G00d.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2011/10/italy-amanda-knox-verdict.html
McTag

Mon 3 Oct, 2011 02:59 pm

What a mealy-mouthed and hypocritical statement from the judge when he stated "guilty of defamation, sentence three years and costs" before he acquitted them.
This being the time already served, this is presumably purely to deflect expected claims coming in the direction of the courts.

It will be interesting to compare and contrast Italian and American reporting of the case, following today's verdict.
wandeljw

Mon 3 Oct, 2011 03:18 pm
@McTag,
Italian and British tabloids portrayed Amanda Knox unfairly. This contributed to the previous verdict because Italian juries are not sequestered. Thank God the verdict was overturned today.
ossobuco

Mon 3 Oct, 2011 06:06 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I guess I should explain my take.
I said good not because I'm american. I don't particularly like Amanda, though she may have matured in these intervening years.
I said 'good' because I found the prosecutor and the prosecution/police fishy as time went by. I distrusted the prosecutor in the first place (see the opening post of this thread) because of things I'd read about him sometime before the murder happened, because I follow italian news off and on.
wandeljw

Mon 3 Oct, 2011 06:46 pm
@ossobuco,
The prosecutor's theory about the crime was bizarre. His bizarre theory attracted negative worldwide media attention on the defendants.
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 3 Oct, 2011 08:06 pm
Have you seen this?

Quote:

http://chzdailywhat.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/0bad1728-ccd1-40d0-a641-f4de391454bb.jpg

Whoopsie Daisy of the Day: Pre-writing two different articles in advance of a news story with two possible outcomes is a fairly common practice in journalistic circles. But publishing the wrong one is not.

The Daily Mail inadvertently pressed the post button on the article that claimed Amanda Knox had lost her appeal — mere moments after the 24-year-old Seattleite had her murder conviction overturned by an Italian jury.

“The Daily Fail” was not alone in their dumb erratum: The Sun had also published a headline claiming Knox has been found “guilty of killing Meredith Kercher.” Slightly less embarrassing was The Guardian‘s incorrect live-blog update, which said that “Knox has lost her appeal.”

All three publications have since stripped their sites of the false reports, but, for The Daily Mail and The Sun, damning URLs remain as warnings to others who would pen a priori posts.
ossobuco

Mon 3 Oct, 2011 08:42 pm
@boomerang,
That's almost... but not funny. Geez.

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Mon 3 Oct, 2011 09:04 pm
@boomerang,
Reminds me of that famous pic of Harry Truman grinning ear-to-ear, holding up a front page which declares in big, bold type DEWEY BEATS TRUMAN. What was that-- 1948?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Mon 3 Oct, 2011 09:41 pm
Any real motive and/or any personal history which would lead anybody to think Knox was capable of killing anybody with a knife??

I mean, killing some one with a knife is about as gruesome as it gets and I'd normally figure that a huge majority of such cases would involve somebody who'd been in and out of violence and knife fights for a long time. Knox doesn't look like she's ever been in a fist fight much less a knife fight....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 3 Oct, 2011 11:46 pm
@boomerang,
They (at least the Mail, don't have the Sun) changed it in the print edition .... not much better either

http://i51.tinypic.com/33c9m40.jpg
McTag

Tue 4 Oct, 2011 05:40 am
Media reacton- short summary from the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15159828

factors that helped Knox case

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15157384
sozobe

Tue 4 Oct, 2011 07:00 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Geez, really?

That reads like a lesser Onion parody article.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 4 Oct, 2011 08:28 am
From McTag's link above, I thought that this was an interesting observation:
Quote:
Telegraph, UK
She was painted as a siren who could apparently entice a virtual stranger to commit murder with her hypnotic sexual charms.

Over the past four years, the Italian legal system has served up a steady diet of salacious, sensational claims about the American's "demonic" sex life that allegedly held the key to the brutal murder of her flatmate, Meredith Kercher. It has made Knox, 24, the most infamous woman on the continent and the subject of books, a feature film, television debates and newspaper articles the world over.

But last night an appeal court jury decided that the portrayal of "Foxy Knoxy" as a manipulative, malevolent killer was nothing more than a myth that had been invented, and then perpetuated, to distract attention from a seriously flawed police investigation.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Tue 4 Oct, 2011 09:08 am
Well, considering how many innocent people have been in the U.S. prison system for 10 and 20 years, Italy isn't necessarily the boo man here.
Ragman

Tue 4 Oct, 2011 10:27 am
@CalamityJane,
How do the problems of USA unjust system relate here to what damage has been done by Italian system?

Italy's police/law enforcement, investigative abilities and legal system seems to be so flawed that even-handed justice can not be served. All this circus has brought it to the light of day. Governments and citizens alike should take note.
CalamityJane

Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:40 am
@Ragman,
I completely disagree! What do you know about the Italian legal system?

Knox was acquitted, it doesn't mean she's innocent.
".......and legal system seems to be so flawed that even-handed justice can not be served. All this circus has brought it to the light of day. Governments and citizens alike should take note." This can be said for the United States as well.
JTT

Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:53 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Italian and British tabloids portrayed Amanda Knox unfairly.

Hey, JW, you've found your voice. Good on ya. How come you can come on like gangbusters for this issue but you're silent as a lamb, or even worse, pounding out propaganda to cover much much much more heinous events/crimes?

How is that possible?
Ragman

Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:56 am
@CalamityJane,
I know about that system probably as much as you do by reading the facts - not the tabloid circus.