Fighting with your significant other about idiotic things.

dadpad

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 12:27 am
In a way, traditional roles within a relationship circumvent disagreements such as this.
I get the last word on outside stuff, maintenance, technical and mechanical stuff. She gets to decide about inside stuff, people, emotional issues and similar.
We both have input into both areas but if it comes to the crunch we both know who has responsibility for the decision making
aidan

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 02:20 am
@dadpad,
Yeah - that's the logical way to do it (if you're living together- if not- his house is his house and my house is my house and decisions are made accordingly).
But if he's gonna use the drill -- he gets to pick out what sort of drill he wants to use.
If I have to wash and maintain the shower curtain, I get to pick out the shower curtain that I find easiest to wash and maintain.

It's simple consideration toward someone you're supposed to love- nothing more than that..
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 02:45 am
@aidan,
Quote:
If I have to wash and maintain the shower curtain, I get to pick out the shower curtain that I find easiest to wash and maintain.

It's simple consideration toward someone you're supposed to love- nothing more than that..

yuk, that leaves me cold. How about the one who cares the most gets the bigger say, that both have a say? If your hubby absolutely has to have a certain shower curtain,one that happens to be more difficult to care for, then you do it anyways out of effection for him? And he returns the favor some other time?
aidan

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 03:33 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
If your hubby absolutely has to have a certain shower curtain,one that happens to be more difficult to care for, then you do it anyways out of effection for him? And he returns the favor some other time?

Laughing Laughing Well, he'd have to return the favor in some pretty impressive way for me to bypass the easily washed and dried fabric shower curtain to struggle with this big, plastic or vinyl thing that you can't put in the drier, so every time you rehang the thing you get your shirt wet up to the elbows - although I did finally learn just to rehang it right before I was going to take a shower standing in the shower - no clothes - no getting wet.

But yeah - I'm not adverse to that on principle. I didn't put celery or olives in stuff for years even though I love them, simply because he didn't like them.
There is an aspect of sacrifice in love - for sure.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 03:55 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
familiarity breeds contempt

while absinthe makes the heart grow fonder of people

in glass shower curtains who dont throw

significance into

others
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 08:49 am
squinney and I have the big funky shower curtains.... with a nice fabric one outside of it. When the plactic gets fyunky we throw it away and that's the day we launder the fabric curatins. what's the big deal? they're about 5.00 a piece sometimes less and they're good for a year give or take.

Quit whining and get to the make up sex.
0 Replies

Conflicted

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 09:11 am
Couples do have their moments when any & everything can cause a blow-up... It's probably just each partner trying to find their footing in the relationship.
Choose your battles wisely. Unless it's something that you just can't overlook, you'll find your relationship much more harmonious if you don't sweat the small stuff.
spendius

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 09:35 am
@Conflicted,
As someone who prefers sweating the big stuff I can understand you saying that. I should imagine anyone having an adulterous affair at work would be friendly and amenable when back at home.

I have heard it said that over-friendliness and amenability in the domestic setting is grounds for suspicion.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 12:22 pm
There's an intersting article on this very subject in the current issue of National Geographic magazine. It tells about a nomad couple who lives in Africa, and what they argue about. It's a universal thing that happens to the best of us. LOL
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:39 pm
To those who said it's really not about the shower curtains and that it's actually a battle for control...I agree completely. And that is why the next time we start bickering about anything minor, I will immediately start screaming at her and calling her a stupid whore. Once she starts crying and/or tries to run away, I will continue to scream and call her names and tell her that I run this show, and she'd better toe the ******* line and do things my way, or I will dump her ass right then and there!

Yeah, that should get us both much closer to the truly loving relationship that we both crave.
spendius

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:55 pm
@kickycan,
It will if she has any sense but from what I can gather that is unlikely in the current North American setting and, indeed, though I'm ashamed to say it , in liberal circles in England. In the Outlands where I live such solutions are never needed.

They keep us well maintained here and knock us off with tempting cookery. It's a question, as always, of quality over quantity.

"Keep 'em well shagged and poorly shod" is a cliche round these parts.
aidan

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 02:13 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Keep 'em well shagged and poorly shod"

Why can't they have nice shoes?
spendius

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 04:34 am
@aidan,
Because they start posing in them to attract other men which is a sort of watered down adultery.
sozobe

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 07:47 am
@spendius,
Men so don't get shoes.
spendius

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 08:05 am
@sozobe,
I refuse such crude bait.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 08:30 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
In the Outlands where I live such solutions are never needed.

I heard the Outlands is teeming with babes. And that some of them still have their cuspids.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 08:54 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Men so don't get shoes.

I don't get shoes.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 11:50 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Because they start posing in them to attract other men which is a sort of watered down adultery.

They must not be as well-shagged at home as you guys consider them to be if they feel the need to put nice shoes to such use.

When you said 'poorly shod' I thought you meant you deprived them of appropriate shoes with good support. I totally get the need to be well-shod. My shoe of choice is Doc Martens, though they're a little expensive, just because they fit my feet so well, are so comfortable and sturdy and supportive and are surprisingly fashionable these days. Every day in the winter, I wear a pair that I bought my daughter about eight years ago; her feet are bigger than mine because she's taller than me, so when she outgrew them, I adopted them. They're my favorite shoes, but I've worn them into the ground - the sole is split on one and the rain seeps in. My feet are constantly wet and cold now. I was thinking that's what you meant when you said 'poorly shod' -that you'd make them wear substandard shoes.

I can't stand to throw these shoes away though. The uppers are still good - everytime I use that word I think of the term, 'he's down on his uppers'. I'm down on my uppers - I think I might get them resoled.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 12:39 pm
Spendi wrote:

I even knew some who used to wear well-polished shoes.

It's a matter for reflection, one can know the color of their underwear..
0 Replies