Fighting with your significant other about idiotic things.

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:46 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:
One thing I've learned is that no matter how good your intentions, you never know what tiny little thing is going to blow up in your face and become a huge argument.

No kidding, familiarity breeds contempt, you get to fight over stuff you'd be embarrassed to even raise a fuss about with other acquaintances.

Quote:
She doesn't like the fabric shower curtains, because she says they are more susceptible to mildew, and she hated the dark shower curtain. She liked the plastic (or maybe they were vinyl--either way, they were not the ones I had already kind of decided on in my mind) shower curtains with the simple black and white pattern design.

She is so right by the way. I hope she won.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:55 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Boys learn to observe..

(I get both sides, so shut up already).
msolga

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 02:13 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
No kidding, familiarity breeds contempt, you get to fight over stuff you'd be embarrassed to even raise a fuss about with other acquaintances.

Hmmm .. there is that, I agree.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 02:48 am
@kickycan,
oh dear - and it was all going so well Kicky!

now, sorry, as for the nasty plastic shower curtains (yeah yeah, to those who like them) - nahhhhhhhh

1) you should put up the shower curtain you like - your house - you should maybe compromise on big boy bachelor hood deco if you want her to spend time there and take showers there... but I don't see the problem with the material ones - don't you just whip 'em off and stick them in the washing machine??? Is she there every day - using the shower every day?

2) those plastic shower curtains may be more hygenic if that's what folks say (as in less crud) BUT - nahhhhhhhhh - you know, if you end up having a real hot shower those placcy/vinyl curtains (unless heavily weighted) tend to come in an grab you whilst you are getting into a lather - yuk. Can't you get material ones on the outside and a separate waterproof liner inside?

(don't use shower curtains over 'ere!)

3) now, possible solution - if said nsasty shower curtain is already put up and you are still chomping at the bit over it (and how are you ever gonna ENJOY your shower/bathroom looking at the damnable curtain that caused a humdinger row) then invite loving girlfriend over, have make up sex (if that's how it works with you), then take a shower together - whilst there, get a little frantic with yer girlie during further 'in the tub' makeup sex in the shower and whilst shouting "oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah baby", grab hold of the nasty placcy curtain and accidently pull off the rail. Sorted.

Then, go shopping on own and get the shower curtain you like.

Or... move past it

and yes, stoopid arguments happen but why continue to have a crappy shower curtain up, that neither of you like and that's just gonna p!ss you off.

(but don't take any notice of me - I been outta the game for too long!)

<just wait 'til you wanna choose baby names... Wink>

McTag

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 02:06 pm
@Izzie,

Quote:
invite loving girlfriend over, have make up sex (if that's how it works with you), then take a shower together - whilst there, get a little frantic with yer girlie during further 'in the tub' makeup sex in the shower and whilst shouting "oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah baby", grab hold of the nasty placcy curtain and accidently pull off the rail. Sorted

This is a stroke of genius, worthy of MacIavelli himself.
Francis

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 02:12 pm
@McTag,
Mac chiaves now? I thought it was Kicky!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:27 am
On the whole, I've benefited from the advice of those whose tastes are far more refined than my own in matters that I regard largely with indifference, such as cooking, home decor, furniture, and housecleaning. True, having a fight about shower curtains may be a bit much, but if you really don't have a great deal of personal investment in the outcome of the shower curtain battle, then it's probably wise, for a variety of reasons, to defer to the judgment of the person who does. The alternative is to react with a certain sullen resentment that, I'm convinced, women find devastatingly attractive.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:31 am
My wife took over my house soon after we met (even though we were not living together or anything of the sort). She replaced the curtains, painted the interior, pulled up the grass in the front yard, planted flowers, baked pies in the oven until there were so many pies I was pie-eyed, etc.

It's her nature (and perhaps that of the female) to claim territory. Not unlike some peculiar hybrid of Martha Stewart and a dog's drive to pee on a hydrant.

My wife is very weird when it comes to shower curtains:
1) they must have large, heavy, gaudy, metal, overpriced, designer rings (that tend to fall off)
2) all shower curtains must be double (yes two shower curtains) one must go on the inside and one must go on the outside (annoying and inconvenient)
3) all shower curtains must get washed regularly (for what exact reason I dare not even ask)
spendius

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:35 am
@Chumly,
Research how to stop dogs peeing on hydrants and you will have a guide to the root of your problems.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:36 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
some peculiar hybrid of Martha Stewart and a dog's drive to pee on a hydrant.

You have such a romantic soul, Chummers.
Chumly

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:54 am
@DrewDad,
My efforts to understand the ways of the woman are boundless.
spendius

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 10:37 am
@Chumly,
Your efforts have seemingly not yet gone as far as looking into Freud's strictures on obsessions. They are seen there as defense mechanisms which you seem determined to break down without considering what it is they might be a defense against and which may come into view should you succeed.

You seem lacking in sensitivity to others it seems to me Chum and assertions to the contrary carry no weight. You seem to have an obsession with the world being as you would like it to be.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 10:46 am
@kickycan,
It's NEVER about shower curtains. It is about jockying for control.
arkont12

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 11:44 am
@kickycan,
hi kickycan you kl
0 Replies

arkont12

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 11:47 am
@Gala,
hi gala
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 11:57 am
@ossobuco,
[quote="ossobuco"to RG]
(I get both sides, so shut up already).
[/quote]

Sorry about that.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:01 pm

I'd leave the curtains down and leave it bald til she comes over.

Do something stupid and Kicky-ish. Not saying you are stupid, but you seem goofy and charming, so make her laugh.

Laughing about it later cures all. If you can't do that, then you are in trouble.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:35 pm
@spendius,
Tell me more about this thing you call "the world".
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 01:47 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

It's NEVER about shower curtains. It is about jockying for control.

Just thought that was worth repeating.

I hardly ever bother arguing anymore but when i do she knows its important to me and gives ground.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 10:55 pm
@kickycan,
sad to say I just broke up with a woman I was dating for over 2 years because of fights like these.
0 Replies