Oh, No! Election Day is Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010...

georgeob1

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 01:12 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

I am becoming convinced that the electorate is a howling mob acting on emotion rather than intellect.

No wonder the country is going down hill at a rapid pace.

Perhaps you should move to another country with a better electorate.

Actually I believe you have confused cause and effect in your 'analysis".
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 03:23 pm
SENATE PROJECTIONS:
I am not going to bother with projections from the professional pollsters and punsters. The mode average is 51-49 Dems. One or two say 52-48. I find no 50-50 picks and no one claiming the Repubs will retake the Senate.

Our Guesses-
Johnboy: 52-48 Dems
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 03:48 pm
By the way, Cyclo, I have Prop 19 not passing in CA. That result depends on the turnout on Tuesday going the way I think it will.
But I am 3000 miles away, so what do I know.
Irishk

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 05:36 pm
@realjohnboy,
Last poll I checked for Prop. 19 had 46% for. It's really taken a nosedive on Intrade, though.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 10:37 am
Butts In Booths
Good Sunday to everyone (or Monday to our Aussie viewers).
I looked around at the polls this morning but it seems to me that it is too late for them to tell us anything.
I trolled around early voting data (2 million already cast in FL; 250K in NV).
The Dems, it seems to me, led by the President, the First Lady, Bill Clinton et al are frantically trying to stop the bleeding. The Repubs will likely win the House, but if the Dems can turn out voters on Tuesday, the hemorrhaging may not be as bad as predicted.
As a total aside, the Rasmussen approval rating for Obama had been at -20 a few days ago. It is now -13 with his Strongly Approve at 30. That is the highest it has been for awhile. It could be attributable to his constant last minute campaigning or to the Yemen package bomb thing getting caught. There have been numerous instance in the past of "October Surprises" in the last days of an election campaign.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 10:38 am
@Irishk,
Is there a concerted lobbying group opposing it?
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 10:47 am
@JPB,
A concerted lobbying group? There could be. Or not.
My understanding is that Black and Latino leaders are actively against Prop 19, with the former preaching against it today from the pulpit.

The snack food industry is in favor of it. I made that up.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 10:50 am
@realjohnboy,
I have read that the alcohol industry has been actively lobbying against it. Don't know how true that is.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 11:04 am
@dyslexia,
It is a known fact that teen aged boys who are stoned drive more slowly than teen aged boys who are drunk.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 11:17 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
Is there a concerted lobbying group opposing it?

My guess would be yes. I know the Administration is against it. I'm thinking if it fails in California, it probably doesn't have much of a chance anywhere else in the country.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 01:37 pm
CNN Poll Generic Ballot: GOP 52, Democrats 42
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 01:49 pm
The Ultimate Hour-by-Hour District-by-District Election Guide

Quote:
One reason we do try to be so precise with our forecasts — projecting a margin of victory in each race rather than putting them into broad categories like “tossup” and “lean Republican” — is exactly so that it can serve this benchmarking function. It’s not that we know exactly what is going to happen on Tuesday; quite to the contrary, we think other forecasters are being incautious in not acknowledging the degree of uncertainty inherent to forecasting this House election.

But we can show you the blood, guts and entrails of roughly what a Republican gain of about 55 seats would look like, if that turns out to be the number: it would look something like this.

I've bookmarked the link and while I can't speak to the accuracy of Nate's predictions, may I just say that I think his presentation is one of the best!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:03 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

HOUSE PREDICTIONS:|
Current Make-up: Dems 256 Repubs 179 = 77 seat Dem margin

EPro: Dems 194 Repubs 241 = 47 seat Repub margin (62 seat Repub gain)
Cook: Dems 196 Repubs 239 = 43 seat Repub margin (60 seat Repub gain)
Enten*: Dems 200 Repubs 235 = 35 seat Repub margin (56 seat Repub gain)
Sabato: Dems 201 Repubs 234 = 33 seat Repub margin (55 seat Repub gain)
Rudin: Dems 215 Repubs 220 = 5 seat Repub margin (41 seat Repub gain)
Silver: Dems 203 Repubs 232 = 19 seat Repub margin (53 seat Repub gain)

Georgeob: Dems 212 Repubs 223 = 11 seat Repub margin (44 seat Repub gain)
Cyclo**: Dems 218 Repubs 217 = 1 seat Dem margin (38 seat Repub gain)
JohnBoy: Dems 206 Repubs 229 = 23 seat Repub margin (50 seat Repub gain)

*Enten is the kid from Dartmouth Irishk introduced us to.
** I assigned numbers to Cyclo based on his long-standing prediction that the Dems would hold on to a majority.

Please feel free to quote/edit this post to add other pollsters or add you own predictions.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:05 pm
@realjohnboy,
I added Silver's predictions. A good read even if I don't particularly follow him closely.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:13 pm
I wish I could remember where i saw it, but a survey finds that about 20% of dems want a gop congress this time, and another 40% dont care. This will not be good for Dems. Here is something else along those lines

Quote:
Recent public opinion surveys reveal a noteworthy paradox that results from Democratic-Republican party dominance over our political system. According to these polls, though the public favors Democrats, they are prepared to vote Republican this November. How can we explain this apparent contradiction? Arguably, it is a result of the ideological and political deadlock characteristic of the reigning two-party system.

One of the means by which the Democratic and Republican parties maintain their dominance despite their unpopularity is by obtaining the support of those who simply oppose the other party. A Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll from August found that only 33% and 24% of respondents, respectively, had a positive view of the Democratic and Republican parties, while 44% and 46% had a negative view of them, respectively. Yet, on the so-called generic ballot, the parties were neck and neck: 42% desired a Republican-controlled Congress while 43% opted for a Democrat-controlled Congress.

Interestingly, the poll also inquired as to the respondents’ motivations, asking the latter group whether they preferred a Democrat-controlled Congress because they support Democrats or because they oppose Republicans, and asking the former group whether they preferred a Republican-controlled Congress because they support Republicans, or because they oppose Democrats. Of those who desired a Democrat-controlled Congress, only 48% stated that they support Democrats, while 47% admitted that they simply oppose Republicans. The breakdown was quite different among those who favored a Republican-controlled Congress. Only 35% said they supported Republicans, while a whopping 57% stated that they simply oppose the Democrats! This is the logic of lesser evilism in the aggregate. Taking these numbers at face value, it is safe to assume that the majority of American voters do not cast their ballots for candidates whom they support or favor, but rather against candidates whom they dislike and disfavor. It is thus no surprise that so many Americans do not feel they are adequately represented by their elected officials. The majority do not vote for candidates whom they favor! How could they if they dislike both the Republicans and the Democrats? That the majority of eligible voters do not vote in the majority of elections is a striking symptom of this sad state of affairs.

http://www.caivn.org/article/2010/09/08/polls-show-why-time-has-come-challenge-republican-democrat-duopoly
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:32 pm
@realjohnboy,
Not sure if you'd want to add these to your recap...both of the following are forecasters showing the Democrats will hold the House.

Lewis-Beck (U.Iowa) & Tien (CUNY) (Prediction: 22-seat loss for Democrats)

Alfred G. Cuzan (U.FL) (Prediction: A loss of between 31 - 36 seats for Democrats)
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:42 pm
@Irishk,
I could not get either of their articles to display on my computer. Feel free to edit them in to my table of predictions. Clearly they are out of step with most pundits.
Irishk

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:58 pm
@realjohnboy,
Here's an HTML version of the first one (Lewis-Beck & Tien).

Cuzan has been a guest contributor on Larry Sabato's website. His predictions are probably there in the October archives. I'll look.

Found it:

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/agc2010092302/
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:14 pm
@Irishk,
Damn. I actually read all that. I didn't understand it, but I read it. They see Dems losing 22 seats.
Irishk

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:19 pm
@realjohnboy,
Very Happy

I'm finding all kinds of stuff today. Alan Abramowitz, political expert at Emory, thinks the Dems will lose 46 seats.

Listing them all might be overkill, though, huh? Be nice to find all the analysts and their predictions in one publication after the election....maybe one will turn up.
0 Replies