2009 WORLD SERIES. PHILLIES v YANKEES

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 05:26 am
If the first game is any indicator, the Phillies seem to be hot and the YAnkees seem to suffer from a weak bullpen. I know its only game 1 but Cliff Lee (the Phillies newest pitcher, acquired in a trade in July of 2009) severed the aorta of the YAnkees and left em to bleed out on theor home turf. AS a Phillie fan, I am, of course gratified that my team is still in a post season hot streak. I think the Yankees were stunned at last nights 6-1 (almost shutout except fpr a dumass throw to first) rout which was really not as close as the score would make it appear.

I think the YAnkees are gonna be a different tream tonight. I hope the Phillies dont take a rest and be satisfied at a 1-1 split as the visiting team.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 6,229 • Replies: 84

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 05:42 am
@farmerman,

lee was light's-out.
utley gets kudos for taking cc deep twice.
up to pedro to keep 'er going tonight...
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 05:46 am
When a pitcher's red hot like that, ain't no team gonna beat him. Gotta give it another game or two to see how it will trend, though.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 05:47 am
@Region Philbis,
did you see that little,behind-the-back catch that lee made on a grounder ? Was that rubbing it in or was he just not well positioned to make a "Standard" stop?
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 05:49 am
@farmerman,

missed that one, but i did see the non-chalant catch on the mound.
he was in da zone...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 05:55 am

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4604260&categoryid=2521705
farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 06:00 am
@Region Philbis,
most excellent
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 06:08 am
Phillies in 3

they're just that good
farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 08:30 am
@djjd62,
ALl the tickets for game 4 are already sold. And the price in Philly is waaaay higher than in NYC. Philly fans are rabid and totally nuts.
George

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 08:45 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
And the price in Philly is waaaay higher than in NYC.

Really? That's not what you'd expect.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:01 am
Well, i am a Yankee fan, but Lee was awesome last night, He was under total control of the game.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:01 am
My hatred for the Phillies is a 9, my hatred for the Yanks a 10. So I enjoyed watching Lee's masterful performance. The swagger he demonstrated is an advantage the Phillies have in what is otherwise, I think, an even matchup.

The Yanks' pen was bad last night, but you saw the guys Girardi calls when the team is behind (with the exception of Hughes). When they have the lead, and Girardi goes Chamberlain-Hughes-Rivera, it's quite often lights out. Whereas the opposite is true for the Phils. The Yankees have had two come-from-behind wins this postseason; bad news when your closer's season ERA is 7.

Anyway, it's a blast to finally watch a dynamic matchup in the World Series. And even more fun to see the millionaire-seats empty before the game is over.
farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:18 am
@Gargamel,
His swaggerel was , admittedly, over the top.
Gargamel

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:24 am
@farmerman,
It's the swagger the Yankees used to have and are now missing dearly!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:38 am
So much intrigue with Pedro starting tonight: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AmspV7LUed1J5hmQaN3RH6A5nYcB?slug=ti-pedrogametwo102809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

What do y'all think? Charlie Manuel is starting Pedro ostensibly because he has WS experience and experience owning the Yanks. I say, however, that Pedro's past is precisely the reason you don't start him tonight. He's an old villain, and one whose fastball is about 10 mph slower than it was at his peak. Beating Pedro tonight wouldn't simply even the series, it would give the Yanks a morale boost sorely needed after last night's deflating loss. Better to start Pedro at home, no?
farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:44 am
@Gargamel,
good point, but Philly embraces that kind of drama.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:01 am
I think both starters are gonna getted knocked around and then it comes down
to which bullpen can stop the bleeding.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:32 am
@farmerman,
no need for a game four, by game three the yankees are going to be so humiliated they'll concede
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 11:09 am
@Gargamel,

he was throwing 92-93 against LAD.
that, plus the off-speed stuff, plus the veteran savvy should be enough to silnce those bats again.
doubt he'll be intimidated by the environs.

if he goes 7, madsen pitches the 8th, lidge the 9th.
lidge looks more like the '08 version this month...
farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 11:41 am
@Region Philbis,
lidge is 100% in playoffs. COURSE, he does it by loading bases then getting double plays a lot.

0 Replies