To stay or not to stay ---That is the question.

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 09:29 am
@blatham,
That really hurt. How did you know that my AUntie NEdzienia was a double diabetic amputee. (Sob )
dyslexia

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 09:43 am
@farmerman,
frankly farmerman, no one (especially Bernie) gives a rats ass about your aunt NEdsienia. She still play 2nd base?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 10:12 am
Now we use her for home plate.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 10:57 am
Typical exchange between third base coach and runners...

Coach - "Slide!"
Runner - "Not a ******* chance!"
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 12:24 pm
Haven't posted much lately myself, but that's more because I'm busy than anything else. I, for one, would miss seeing Finn's posts immensely and think my personal experience on A2K would be diminished in his absence. Finn is among the very best contributors on A2K in terms of wit and ability to deliver his opinion... as opposed to just another parrot from either side of the political spectrum. I find most of the posters on A2K who actually formulate their own opinions are left of my center, and think that multiplies the value of contributions from the right from guys like Finn, George, Asherman, Roger, etc.

My own political views seem to be continuing to shift to the left... and I believe that's due in no small part to well reasoned arguments here on A2K that simply wouldn't exist if not for meaningful, original contributions from fine minds on both sides of the ball. When I get the extra time; I'm about ready to forego my previously fiercely defended position on the Death Penalty.

I second Robert’s suggestion to simply show up when you feel like it, rather than make some concrete decision. I too see too many remoras and would hate to see a shark leave for good.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 12:35 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I have a hard time reconciling this -

Quote:
Finn is among the very best contributors on A2K in terms of wit and ability to deliver his opinion... as opposed to just another parrot from either side of the political spectrum

With Finn's posts in which he, for example, dreams of the day in which he will get to personally assault and string up Liberals after another terrorist attack, or his posts where he compares Obama to the worst political leaders in history.

I understand that many here value conservative voices, and I do as well. This is why I continue to engage many such posters who others refuse to speak to. It is important to get many different opinions and a diversity of thought on this site is a good thing. But that doesn't mean we should beg someone who frequently engages in hateful behavior to stay, because he's having a pity-party at the moment.

Cycloptichorn
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 12:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I've begged no one to do anything and opined for my own selfish reasons in that I personally enjoy his contributions. Whether or not I agree with him on his every post is of little import, as overall I have found him to be a very intriguing member who is entirely more capable than most in arguing his point of view.. Mileage will vary.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 12:59 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Fair enuff

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 01:35 pm
I can't say I give a flying **** whether Finn stays or goes or puts the cat out.

When I think of the number of people who have been in my life on the sort of level people are in it on A2K and have now vanished for whatever reason I cannot imagine the benefit of giving much thought to whatever they do. One is their hostage otherwise. And then they pull all sorts of strokes. Like getting you to lend them money. And sulking to get their own way.

It struck me that Bernie didn't engage with my post earlier because he hadn't read it. That is a wise thing for him to do if he wishes to have more influence in the world. It is no use being politically ambitious and listening to the arguments of the other side. Doing that can make you indecisive and inhibit single-mindedness and you need single-mindedness to get on the ladder. You end up in the middle where you get run over by both lanes of traffic.

It's necessary for Bernie's stated ambition for him to think my post complete rubbish on the basis that I wrote it.

If Finn wasn't being ignored it can only be that his supposed right-wing views were congenial to the lefties as ideal sitting-duck material. They can, or could, shoot them off the branch in a satisfactory manner and get that frisson of pleasure which reinforces their own views in the same way Pavlov showed how to get a seal to play God Save the Queen by giving it herrings. And that motivates the single-mindedness necessary to have influence.

And when they can't shoot them like that they get the opposite feeling. And the opposite reinforcement.

But still--I think it would have been useful to readers here to have read his response.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 02:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I've been mum politcally for the most part here and on Abuzz - not because I don't have my strong politcal beliefs but because the roar and din are too often far too loud here for me.

Far too often ad hominem attacks would occur toward a member when conflicting political opinions would be expressed (at times, by Finn as well as a small band of others). Personal insults would often accompany the conflicting discussion that would have nothing to do with the topic. It's precisely that dynamic that I perceive as dragging this forum down.

In a 'smaller' fora (forums?) and in online communities such as this, regulars who comment on political and world events are the lifeblood. Except when they create more heat than light. I feel that sort of behavior can be (and is) a detriment to an online community in the long run, IMHO.

However, all that being said, some people don't give a flying fig about a forum being a community or a brotherhood, in any shape or forum. And...to them, I say more or less (political) power to 'ya.

Kumbaya, mah lawd!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 03:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
In your initial post you seemed bothered by politicized polarizations and also bothered by some posters.

Well OK...

1) My advice would be to consider each view on its own merits (or lack thereof) and not through the myopic artifice of right v. left.
2) My advice would be to simply not read the text of posters that bother you.

Me I don't adhere to the politicized myopic conventions of right v. left. Me I'm not worried by what anyone posts here because at the worst it's either amusing and/or bemusing and at best I get to learn spiffy things.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 11:11 pm
Wow.

I seem to have struck a collective nerve, and generated a discussion that goes beyond Finn - Cool.

Since I originally posted this thread, I have been travelling and, deliberately, staying clear of A2K - a "break" of sorts.

During this period I've found that

A) I need a forum in which to express my views
B) I can't find a better one than A2K

Please let me clarify my concerns:

I have no problem being the lone supporter of a given position within a forum of debate.

I do have a problem with idiotic left-wing piranha and their ankle biting schooling.

The former seems, to me, of late to be the rule. This thread would suggest that such belligerent voices are actually the minority and I'm thinking I need to either ignore or "Ignore" the twits who have revealed themselves in this thread.

Neither I, nor any of the "right-wing" A2K posters need to form a gang on a thread, and, frankly, I think this is a significant distinction.

Lord, I am tired of and disappointed with the Bully Gangs who converge to attack members like Okie and Foxfyre, but perhaps they reveal themselves, to the greater A2K membership, as the shites they are.

What this thread has led me to understand is that the clowns who piss me off are the minority.

I apologize to the left of center folks who I have lumped together with Setanta, Cyclo, CI, et al.

I'm not trying to suggest that I have always been an A2K paragon of measured debate.

I have tried to focus on the issue rather than the emotion, but sometimes I've not been successful. Sometimes I've gone for the throats of my opponents, and, frankly, I've enjoyed it when I have.

Bottom line is that I very much enjoy discussing topics with the vast majority of you, and I will not allow A2K mosquitoes to drive me away.

Thanks to all who have participated in this thread and special thanks to

AIDAN
Roger
Djjd62
Farmerman
Merry Andrew
Rosburne
Engineer
Eorl
Freeduck
Occum Bill

If I've missed someone who deserves special thanks- I apologize profusely.

Finn Agonistes

roger

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 11:29 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

My own political views seem to be continuing to shift to the left... and I believe that's due in no small part to well reasoned arguments here on A2K that simply wouldn't exist if not for meaningful, original contributions from fine minds on both sides of the ball.

You know, this is true of myself, too. I have to note the most persuasive posters are also the least likely to engage in insults, either personal or in general.
msolga

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 11:32 pm
@roger,
Quote:
... I have to note the most persuasive posters are also the least likely to engage in insults, either personal or in general.

Yes.

A resounding "hear, hear!!!!"
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 11:34 pm
@msolga,
great, but you are one half of the equation. you can choose to not be insulted, don't lay all the blame upon those who offend you. We have far too many squeamish people running around, and the only way that gets fixed is if they fix themselves.
roger

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 12:23 am
@hawkeye10,
No, no. It's not a matter of her, nor I being insulted. It's watching some people post valid, or seemingly valid points, with never a response to the post, but always a response to the person making the post. My inclination is to believe that the original post has at least some truth to it. If not, someone would have presented arguments against, instead of insults and slurs on a person's character or education.

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 12:28 am
@hawkeye10,
I will keep that in mind, hawkeye. Wink

But what I had in mind when I posted, was that people persuade through addressing the issue under discussion, rather going for the jugular of someone whose view they disagree with .
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 12:34 am
@roger,
Ya, got it. I have myself been repeatedly attacked by the mob, Robert has on several occasions asked me to leave and also accused me of being all sorts of not nice things....

The point is that taking the attacks personally is a choice. We have other options.
aidan

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 02:34 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You're welcome- but another by-product of my participation on this forum is that whenever I see words, names, whatever in caps now - I automatically think in acronyms- seriously - even when I'm out driving around....so

AIDAN
And if DEMOCRATS attack - negotiate.

Maybe you should do acronyms - you're good with language.

I seriously meant what I said though - I do think you're an excellent writer- very forthright and clearly spoken or expressed and I detect a lot of sense in what you say.

I seem to miss a lot of the unpleasant vitriol around here - in general actually. I'm always surprised to see stuff either alluded to or out and out quoted and then I think - 'How come I never saw that person say anything like that? (ie you and Foxfyre specifically).
That of course doesn't mean it never happens, but obviously not habitually or often enough to have made me form that overriding impression of your personality or character.

And jesus - it does get boring when the same people pat the same people on the back and agree with no opposing viewpoint.

That's when I just go and play some music.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 03:16 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Wow.

I seem to have struck a collective nerve, and generated a discussion that goes beyond Finn - Cool.

Since I originally posted this thread, I have been travelling and, deliberately, staying clear of A2K - a "break" of sorts.

During this period I've found that

A) I need a forum in which to express my views
B) I can't find a better one than A2K

Please let me clarify my concerns:

I have no problem being the lone supporter of a given position within a forum of debate.

I do have a problem with idiotic left-wing piranha and their ankle biting schooling.

The former seems, to me, of late to be the rule. This thread would suggest that such belligerent voices are actually the minority and I'm thinking I need to either ignore or "Ignore" the twits who have revealed themselves in this thread.

Neither I, nor any of the "right-wing" A2K posters need to form a gang on a thread, and, frankly, I think this is a significant distinction.

Lord, I am tired of and disappointed with the Bully Gangs who converge to attack members like Okie and Foxfyre, but perhaps they reveal themselves, to the greater A2K membership, as the shites they are.

What this thread has led me to understand is that the clowns who piss me off are the minority.

I apologize to the left of center folks who I have lumped together with Setanta, Cyclo, CI, et al.

I'm not trying to suggest that I have always been an A2K paragon of measured debate.

I have tried to focus on the issue rather than the emotion, but sometimes I've not been successful. Sometimes I've gone for the throats of my opponents, and, frankly, I've enjoyed it when I have.

Bottom line is that I very much enjoy discussing topics with the vast majority of you, and I will not allow A2K mosquitoes to drive me away.

Thanks to all who have participated in this thread and special thanks to

AIDAN
Roger
Djjd62
Farmerman
Merry Andrew
Rosburne
Engineer
Eorl
Freeduck
Occum Bill

If I've missed someone who deserves special thanks- I apologize profusely.

Finn Agonistes

Congratulations.

David