The Jews.

cavfancier

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:57 am
Well Craven, the Nazi comment was a tad in jest. While bigotry in general, including anti-semitism, exists worldwide, I do not believe that anti-semitism is 'on the rise' in every country, I'm not that paranoid or knee-jerk. That being said, France has been a hotbed for it recently, and given their history, it doesn't surprise me, that's all. If I am stereotyping, it doesn't matter, because the Holocaust washes away all my sins. Laughing
0 Replies

au1929

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:08 am
It would appear the cycle of Anti-Semitism is on the upswing in Europe. Why doesn't that surprise me? History should have taught us that it was as inevitable as the sun rising in the West.
0 Replies

Sofia

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:12 am
Thanks, cav.

I do want to stay on topic, and what is going on in Europe/France, is something we should shine a light on, IMO.

I kid about France a lot. That is kidding (sorta) Laughing . The recent, largely undeterred anti-Semitism in France is incredibly serious, to me. I think we should all pay close attention. I don't think anyone's political affiliation should position them to reflexively find rationalizations or excuses for what is happening. I hope we can look at it squarely, and address it honestly. Appreciation to cav for keeping it real.
0 Replies

Letty

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:14 am
Very interesting thread, Sofia. Cav's remark about Walt Disney sent me back to the books. Often it is the peripheral stuff that creates interest beyond the original premise.:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/drugs.htm

Another interesting observation is the origins of stereotyping. Where did it begin, I wonder.
0 Replies

Sofia

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:39 am
Thanks, Letty. Nice to see you here. Very Happy

I wanted to share some information I found about anti-Semitism circa '90's Russia. I don't recall hearing about this at all, during the time--but it appears that our govt was quite busy pointing out the problem to Russian officials.

http://www.fsumonitor.com/stories/081599cohenrp.shtml

Individual acts of violence against Jewish people are included, as well as statements by Russian officials, easily construed as incitement to violence.
0 Replies

au1929

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:39 am
You might find this enlightening or at least interesting.
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/photo/20031016_DIASPORA/brenner.html?th
0 Replies

au1929

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:52 am
I would like to point out that although the Holocaust of the thirties is continually pointed to the assault against the Jewish people it was only the last in a series that has lasted well over 1000 years. The Russians and Poles were great practitioners long before the Hitler picked up on the idea. My mother came from Russian Poland at 16 in 1905 and told me of the nights she spent in the cellar while the Cossacks ran around killing every Jew in sight. Has that returned to Europe or in fact has it ever left?
0 Replies

Letty

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:53 am
Great article, au. Loved the remark made by the chinese jew: "Funny, you don't look Jewish"... Very Happy

Tell me if this statement is noteworthy"

All Hebrews are jews, but not all jews are Hebrews.
0 Replies

au1929

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 09:09 am
Letty
There were over the centuries conversions and I would suppose intermarriages. Who knows maybe the Chinese Jews were the result of that intermarriage. I wonder how many Christians are descendants of the ancient Hebrews? If one were to take Spain for example I would venture a guess that a good percentage of the population are descendants of converted Jews. Wonder how many look Jewish. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cavfancier

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 09:12 am
And here I was thinking 'Hebrew' was an Israeli beer...
0 Replies

Letty

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 09:36 am
Cav, and here I was thinking the hora was a Jewish-Italian prostitute. Smile

When I taught, my favorite class was a Humanities class. It was a two hour block course that offered students credits in American History and Language Arts, but it was so much more. The highlight of each grading period was International Food Day. I swear, the kids learned more from that simple celebration than they did from any other source.

The following is one film that we watched in class:

http://mosaic.lk.net/g-masada.html

Education can mean so much to clarify misconceptions.

I am delighted that we have been able to discuss this without rancor. I don't think that anyone meant to gang up on ye110man. He made an observation that deserves consideration, and I think Sophia has addressed that.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 09:51 am
I once knew a hora,
a scholar in torah,
a 'runaround Sue',
the boys she all knew,
and me, did Jew?

But I digress...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 10:38 am
Sofia, interesting article about Russia. Seeing as how my family fled that country generations ago for such reasons, I find it odd that any Jewish people would want to live there. In a strange twist of fate, my father was recently commisioned to design a theatre in Moscow, and may have to go there on a business trip. My mother was freaking out Laughing but business is business, and they got a deposit.

As for the rise of anti-semitism in France, I have a theory: They finally realized that a. Jerry Lewis is incredibly unfunny and b. he's a member of our tribe....
0 Replies

Monger

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 10:45 am
Hey, our families' backgrounds be the same, cavmeister. Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 10:51 am
Cool....you should check out my grandfather's memoirs. I posted the link earlier in this thread for Sofia. Smile
0 Replies

au1929

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 10:52 am
cavfancier
You must realize that Jews have lived in that area for hundreds of years. It is and has been their home. If every time it became unpleasant or dangerous for Jews to live in an area they left, you and I would be living on a boat in the middle of the ocean. I should add that prejudice and oppression is what makes the existence of the state of Israel so important and necessary. Historically it has been welcome today and expulsion tomorrow.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 11:01 am
au1929, I know that, and you are correct. I grew up pretty sheltered from anti-semitism, so I was just putting out random thoughts and feelings. I agree on the necessity of Israel, although I do not always see eye to eye with their politics. In our community, I know many fellow Jews who are very conflicted about Israeli politics these days, and who are also staunch supporters of the country. Getting back to your original point though, I read a well-meaning but completely misguided post on A2K once asking why they don't just move Israel to America, because of all the trouble in the Middle East...Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

au1929

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 11:10 am
Cav.
Have seen it, however, I can assure you it was not well meaning.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 11:20 am
I'll take your word for it then. The 'net being what it is, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.
0 Replies

Monger

Fri 17 Oct, 2003 11:48 am
cavfancier wrote:
Cool....you should check out my grandfather's memoirs. I posted the link earlier in this thread for Sofia. Smile

I've started it cav -- 'tis trés interesting so far.
0 Replies