The Jews.

Sofia

Wed 15 Oct, 2003 10:45 am
The Jews of Baghdad."There is a trend to demonize the Jew, and it has to be confronted," says Shuker. "If we are fearful and we don't do something about it, then we are contributors, too." Author Joseph Braude, an American of Iraqi Jewish decent, argues that "exiles serve as an important bridge of mentality between their past country and their new country."

But every report of Israeli business initiatives in Iraq, often in partnership with Jordanian or Turkish companies, feeds rumors on the street that the U.S. occupation is a Zionist plot to take the country away from the Arabs. Stories about a firm called the Iraqi International Law Group (IILG), for instance, are an anti-American propagandist's dream: its president is Salem (Sam) Chalabi, nephew of Iraqi Governing Council member, Ahmad Chalabi, a Pentagon favorite. One of the partners of the company is Marc Zell, an American-born Israeli and outspoken advocate of the settler movement in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 33,737 • Replies: 697
Topic Closed
No top replies

hobitbob

Wed 15 Oct, 2003 11:01 am
Does anyone know if the plight of the Jews in Eastern Europe has eased much since 1991?
0 Replies

Sofia

Wed 15 Oct, 2003 11:11 am
Thanks, hobitbob.

An excellent place for me to do some reading. So far, all I find are opinion pieces about how horrible the Western foot-dragging affected the situation--but nothing definitive on progress.

I'll continue to look, and would appreciate any good reference material anyone can share.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Wed 15 Oct, 2003 11:27 am
We Jews have already accepted that people blame us for everything, but we did get our ultimate revenge. We now run Disney. Laughing That frozen Nazi bastard....bet he's rolling over in his cryogenic container, muahaha!!

Sofia, I noticed you didn't pop in here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7047

These are my grandfather's memoirs of life in Russia, and later, in Canada. This is a personal history, you may find it interesting. Wink Mind you, I've posted that link in a few forums, so if you did read it, never mind.
0 Replies

jespah

Wed 15 Oct, 2003 11:42 am
I was looking up hobitbob's question (and having no luck and running out of patience) but I did find this interesting graph on changing place names in the Russian Pale:
http://www.jewishgen.org/InfoFiles/ru-pale.txt
0 Replies

Sofia

Wed 15 Oct, 2003 11:58 am
Many thanks--jes and Cav.

Will look in on both!
0 Replies

au1929

Wed 15 Oct, 2003 01:15 pm
Sofia,
Are the people of Europe any less anti-Semitic now than they were in the past. My answer is absolutely not. The only difference now is that many people are a little less willing to vocalize it
0 Replies

perception

Wed 15 Oct, 2003 03:11 pm
I have never understood the "HATRED" exhibited by most people for Jews. But then I can't understand the why "libruls" think the way they do. Rolling Eyes

Sophia---whistle for Walter to come up with some info such as you seek----he is the best at finding factual information on the web.
0 Replies

au1929

Wed 15 Oct, 2003 03:43 pm
perception
It is a learned response taught by the church for a thousand years. The Catholic Church has only recently come to grips with it. The Eastern orthodox Church in Russia was also a great purveyor of Anti-Semitism. Why does it still persist? You cannot expect that the ingrained teachings of a thousand years to disappear in a short period of time if forever.
Remember people are not born hating others it has to be learned.
0 Replies

perception

Wed 15 Oct, 2003 10:11 pm
I was reading some background for this thread on Google just now and was surprised to learn that the Arab hatred for Jews has nothing to do with religion but is based almost entirely on the loss of real estate when Israel was created and then when Israel confiscated the West bank and Gaza after the Arabs attacked (and were soundly defeated by Israel) during the six day war of 1967.

Religious hatred for Jews seems to be based almost entirely on the alleged betrayal of Jesus by the Jewish council which resulted in his crucifixion. Thus you were correct AU that it is the result of Christian Church teachings over the past 2000 years. I hope I have my facts straight here.
0 Replies

au1929

Thu 16 Oct, 2003 09:16 am
Malaysian Urges Muslims to Unite Vs. Jews
PUTRAJAYA, Malaysia (AP) - Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad on Thursday told a summit of Islamic leaders that "Jews rule the world by proxy" and the world's 1.3 billion Muslims should unite, using nonviolent means for a "final victory." His speech at the Organization of the Islamic Conference summit, which he was hosting, drew criticism from Jewish leaders, who warned it could spark more violence against Jews.

When and where have we heard that before?I wonder why I had to bust my ass to earn a living when I rule the world?
0 Replies

Letty

Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:11 am
I would like to ask a couple of questions here.

First: semitic includes many peoples who speak the language, including Arabs. I don't understand why some people use the term anti-semitic to mean only those who hate the Jewish people.

Two: Cav, what did you mean by the fact that Disney was a Nazi bastard?

Finally, As I understand it Judaism is a matriarcal society, and if the mother is gentile, then any offspring would be considered gentile. Is this true?
0 Replies

au1929

Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:30 am
Letty
Yes both Jews and Arabs are of Semitic stock. The both originated in the same area of the world and are in essence cousins with different religious beliefs. However, when the term anti-Semitic is used it is normally being used in reference to Jews.

As for religious law relative to who is a Jew, You are correct to be considered a Jew one must have been born to a Jewish mother. I would suppose that is because the child is brought up by the mother and I also am of the opinion that based on the premise that we know who the mother is. Remember rape was a fact of life when religious laws were promulgated. When a city or people were conquered rape was the norm.
0 Replies

jespah

Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:32 am
Judaism isn't matriarchal, although it is a religion with more traditional rights for women than a lot of older religions (e. g. limited right to divorce). But gawd, it's anything but matriarchal. Yes, Judaism is traditionally inherited through the mother although that's been challenged and I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong here, please) that in the Reform interpretation either parent can pass along Judaism.
0 Replies

Letty

Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:37 am
Thanks, Jes and Au. I think you just settled an unresolved discussion that occurred between the drummer in our band(Jewish with a gentile mother) and our saxophonist. I say discussion when actually it was a shouting match that ended up as a "did-did not affair" Razz
0 Replies

au1929

Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:49 am
jespah
From what I have seen there are all level of reform Judaism. It runs from a little less than conservative to you wouldn't recognize it as Judaism unless told. Rabbinical law is that to be a Jew you must have been born to a Jewish mother. I have no Idea what the reformed law is. Although I have long ago become a secular Jew I do not hold with the presumption that the Jewish religion can be changed or distorted as the reformed have done. I have always maintained that Reformed is to orthodox Judaism as Protestant is to Catholic.
0 Replies

Ceili

Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:00 am
I grew up in a very strict fundamentalist catholic family. I never heard the term 'jesus killers et al.' till I was in my twenties. I was completely taken aback the first time I heard it. The university paper ran a cartoon dipicting this idea and all hell broke loose, with good reason.
The concept of blaming or hating anyone based on religious culture was between the proddies and catholics (borrowed from my irish background) and I was dismayed by this sentiment as well. I grew up with very little of this type of hatred and when I did hear of it, it was almost always from away.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:00 am
Letty, Walt Disney was a well-known Nazi sympathizer. I was just goofing on that.

perception, while Israel may be the most recent reason for Arabs to hate Jews, to say it is not religious is just naive. Both Judaism and Islam trace their roots to Abraham. Abraham and his wife could not have children, and they grew very old trying. Wifey (Sarah) feels bad, so gives their Egyptian slave girl (Hagar) to Abraham, who bears his child. In the meantime, Sarah gets pregnant, and Hagar and her son, Ishmael, are cast out into the desert. Muslims never quite got over that, once they were established. I don't have time to get into this, but check out this link and you might understand:

http://www.answering-christianity.com/isaac_and_ishmael.htm
0 Replies

au1929

Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:15 am
The Italians use the term Matxa Christo{sp] that means Christ Killer. I have heard it used when people did not know that I understood.
0 Replies

Ceili

Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:38 am
Ironic isn't it, the romans were the actual reason he was killed in the first place. It was their soldiers, thier idea ect.
0 Replies