Favorite Potent Potable when you can't have Beer.

patiodog

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 05:24 pm
They may not let the Patiobitch or me in. And it's colder than all hell. And they might turn all my stellar narrative evaluations into "pass" grades, meaning a flat 2.0 gpa. And it's colder than all hell. And I've got family in Sacramento, including a sister who owns a duplex right near the bars that we could rent, and Davis has a good law school and a very good vet school, and Sac State will definitely let me in, and it's colder than all hell in Madison -- did I mention that? That said, the preferred destinations, for various reasons, are Sacto, Madison, and Athens.

I'm afraid I'm taking up a lot of space on this tangent, anywho.

On topic, though, I just spent two hours inhaling the fumes of hot 95% ethanol. Not sure if that counts as a potable, though -- more of an inhalant.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 05:43 pm
It's cold, yeah, but c'mon. Chicago's worse. And you'd have unlimited access to Babcock Hall Ice cream over there in veternary territory. That's a very, very good thing.

http://www.wisc.edu/foodsci/store/icecream.html

I think that stuff qualifies as a mood-altering substance.

How do you inhale hot ethanol fumes? All that's coming to mind is cow farts.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 05:51 pm
That's methane. Ethanol is ethyl alcohol, the kind you drink. Different things altogether.

(Mmm, peppermint stick ice cream. Mmmmmmmmm......)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 06:03 pm
pdog, there's always a stack of old Sears, Roebuck & Co. Catalogs, Farmer's Almanacs, and Burpee Seed Catalogs in the old 2-holer ... and a kerosene lantern. But, for SPECIAL guests, we break out the reserve supply of the old Montgomery Wards catalogs .... the pages are much softer.

timber
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 06:04 pm
Just so long as I don't have to resort to the family bible...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 09:26 am
I have heard Madison is a good place, never been there myself. It is funny to hear you say, "Chicago is worse!" LOL, does THAT make it better? heeheehee ... I liked what I saw of Chicago!

I have fambly in Sacremento, too. That's where the grandparents fled after the near miss during prohibition times in the midwest. My g'pa sold liquor when it was illegal. (Just to bring this conversation back to alcohol.)

"Vets drink hair of the dog" is good. Should you make a bumper sticker???
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:41 am
Piffka, I'm in Chicago now. Smile And I know that pd lived in Chicago, though he doesn't really wax nostalgic about it. I love Chicago, I love Madison, but I love Madison more. A lot more. (That is where I spend my entire undergraduate career and most of my grad school, though, where I met E.G., where we got married, etc., etc., so I'm willing to concede that sentiment may well be getting in the way.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:49 am
Piff -- oddly enough, my half-sister's stepfather-in-law (okay, it's really closer than it sounds) is in Sacramento, and is the son of an Ohio moonshiner. Sacramento: safe haven for bootleggers and moonshiners.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:50 am
OH, Sozobe. I thought you were from Texas. Gadsme, I'm confused.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:53 am
ME? TEXAS?!

Uh... no.

Oooh, I do like Molly Ivens, though!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:53 am
Going to a party tonite - they serve the best scotch !!

YIPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEE
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 11:01 am
Mine were from Indiana. Wouldn't it be funny if they knew each other in the old days! The air WAS sweeter in Sacramento! They lived in the orange groves and my g'pa was a comandant or something in the CCC, then built swimming pools after. My relations there are my grandfather's cousin's, son's, son and his wife and sons. Errr, I think he's a first cousin, three-times removed. We're not that close, but they visited a while back.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 11:04 am
Guatam, Which do you think is the best scotch? PFK had a couple of parties here last year, tasting various types. Somebody had a blue Johnny Walker, I think it was the most expensive. There were at least 15 kinds to try.

Ever enjoyed the joys of the Heathrow Duty Free???
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:21 pm
Preferably Chivas and water, and if that's not available, then wine Drunk
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 06:28 am
I´m very fond of J&B on ice if we´re going to talk scotches.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 07:13 am
I just purchased The Glenlivet, 18 year vintage, rather than the 12, as a present. Also a bottle of Bombay Blue. And a pile of little bottles of lqueur and Tequila. Stocking Stuffers!
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 07:14 am
Sounds like you´re the gal to be with on Christmas morning Piffka!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 07:38 am
It is a happy happy time, LOL.

Do you think the old Glenlivet will be good? I could take it back for Laphroaig or Oban (oh, yuck).
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 08:48 am
Glenlivet is YUM !! I love any kind of scotch - though I am not a fan of blended - preferring single malts most of the time (excpet JW Black Label and Chivas)

Piffka - sounds like some party, wish I was there....

Heathrow Duty free is expensive - I buy almost all my booze from the airports of the countries I travel to.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 08:56 am
But a great selection and what about the freebies?
0 Replies