Favorite Potent Potable when you can't have Beer.

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 02:39 pm
Thanks for being generous with your safety rules. I will attribute them to you.

The Bitter Lemon? The grocers act as though they have never heard of it. But I will try again.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 02:42 pm
Why in Europe, and why not here? I will continue my quest.

Single malts with a drop of water? V. clever. That's what we were taught as well from a distillery on Skye. It does vastly improve the taste.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 02:47 pm
I was amazed the first time I added water.
It makes an incredible difference.
Other things that are improved with water:uhmmmmm ah:Pastis.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 03:12 pm
Yes, and really not too much. Ice performs the same function, but not as quickly.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 03:16 pm
While living in Paris I found that many Frenchmen enjoy a swift pastis at the café on their way to work.This struck me as immensely civilized.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 03:25 pm
To drink on the way to work???
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 03:49 pm
Yes.Just a little nip!
How else do they get through their day?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 08:07 pm
Since I dont ever drink beer...not a drop! I usually drink Southern Comfort, when that isnt on the menu, I hope for a nice red wine...this is all not during working hours Wink
Rest o the time coffee, water, occassional soda...which I very much enjoy a GOOD Birch Beer.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:44 am
Jack Daniels and water for me, when there's no Guinness to be had.

Bloody Marys do come with their own snacks, which is a fine thing.

I'll drink anything except gin. You are all welcome to drink my alloted share!
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:53 am
MMMMM,...Booze!! Laughing

I don't drink beer very often,...(small bladder Very Happy )

I prefer a little (or alot,..depends on the night) vodka, or gin.

Wine is always a good alternative,..If I'm just drinking, I stick to white,...if I'm eating I love red. (and if it's late,..I'll drink whatever's left)

Loooove champagne,..but can only have a glass or two, or else pay the piper the next morning.

I can't get into scotch or any kind of whiskey,..I've tried,..just don't like it.

I love good rum, but it doesn't love me!

And if I drink southern comfort, I become psychic, and feel I should tell everyone what they need to know,..like it or not!! Embarrassed

Cheers!!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:55 am
I'm not that fond of gin either, however there is a delicous, truly delicious blue gin which you ought to try for those times when nothing but gin will do. It is expensive but I'm sure you are worth it.

Hebbe -- I just see your post. Ahh, a nip in the morning? Maybe I should taste some of this. IN general, no alcohol for me in the a.m. except the v. occasional Bloody Mary.

Quinn - that is funny, they DO come with their own snack! We get a variety of "snacks" which may be added... I think I prefer good old celery but the marinated green beans and asparagus are fun, too.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:12 am
tequila when rowdy (though usually with a beer back, so i guess that don't count)

irish whiskey

red wine (good is good, cheap is good, just so long as it's there)

and the big 'un -- my brother-in-law's aunt and uncle in germany make a must of their plums every year and send it off to be distilled. i have no idea what the alcohol content of the resulting schnapps is, but it's gotta be somewhere between vodka and everclear, and it's a wonderfully clean-drinking liquor. something of an acquired taste, though; in my family, only those of us with german blood have really taken to it!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:32 am
Piffka wrote:
however there is a delicous, truly delicious blue gin which you ought to try for those times when nothing but gin will do. It is expensive but I'm sure you are worth it..

Bombay Saphire!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:38 am
Tequila has literally brought me to my knees. I can no longer drink it safely.

Right, Timber. It is wonderful stuff. Hmmm, for the holidays I ought to treat us to a bottle.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:41 am
Ice cold Stoli, neat.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:45 am
Tequila, often enough.

Wine, red, often enough.

Campari on the rocks, when I crave for bitterness.

Vodka tonic, on some social circumstances.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 01:02 pm
Campari and more Campari.A fantastic drink which took me several decades to acquire a taste for.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 02:16 pm
Piffka
Bitter lemon is in Oz, too! (can't cope with it, myself!)

Preferred tipple is bubbly, French or good Australian.

I've often thought of the drink on the way to work idea - but once started, there wouldn't be enough booze to get me to work. It's much better if I don't think about it!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 03:23 pm
Piffka - Here's a website that will sell you Bitter Lemon:

http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.asp?sku=00000016785&area=spirits&category=30120060&sid=03&catname=Cocktail%5FMixes

I love it too!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:15 pm
Thanks Macsm... I may have to order it from them, but I'm going to try to get one of the several groceries here to stock it. Can you believe that I might have to buy it over the 'net... when other folks can buy it at a grocery?? I live in a metro area.

Margo -- it is too strong for you? Well, of course it is not in the class with champagne, but much better than Sprite, say.

Campari? I don't know. I guess I haven't developed the taste yet. Maybe when I grow up.
0 Replies