Favorite Potent Potable when you can't have Beer.

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 01:20 am
Personally, I like a nice scotch. Single Malt is preferred but not necessary.

What'll ya have?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 15,600 • Replies: 157
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 01:51 am
I'm a Whiskey/Whisky fan ... Scotch or otherwise. I prefer Irish, but Scotch, Kentucky, Tennesee, Rye, Canadian ... Whisky works. Cognac and Brandy are pleasant, Tequila, particularly Cuervo 1800, can get me stupid in a hurry, A nice VERY dry gin, such as Bombay, with Schweppes Bitter Lemon on a hot day is wonderful, there are a number of liquers and schnapps I enjoy, Ouzo and Rahki make me goofy ... ahhh, what the heck. Just pour what ya got there ... I'll try it. Drunk
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 07:02 am
wine, whisky. Gin and tonic in season.

or lots and lots of coffee.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 07:13 am
George Dickel & ginger ale. (Like Jack Daniels, but MUCH smoother)
Rum & Coca Cola.

When I don't want something TOO potent, I will mix some Kahlua & milk.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 07:45 am
Double Manhatten, straight up! Drunk
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 07:59 am
Gin and grapefruit pop in the summer (or Gin and Ting if you've got it).
Gin or Vodka and hot tea, with lots of freshly squeezed lemon and a sugar cube, in winter.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 08:41 am
Uhmm, not much of a drinker, maybe every other week, unless vacationing. Typically Jack Daniels in a flask.

PFK has switched to single malt scotch but I hold firm with Tennessee sipping whiskey. I do enjoy Cellar 13 from those men of Tain, but only because it tastes like black Jack to me.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 08:46 am
If the bar's still open, then guys I'll have me a nice Whiskey Sour!

Drunk
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 09:15 am
To Ginger Ale and Whiskey with Coca-Cola. and to Phoenix!
Phoenix --
[ I will try some Geo. Dickel, in your honor, [/size]
next time I'm at a bar.

That could be next year! Rolling Eyes ! Embarrassed ! Very Happy :wink: No... I will ensure it is in 2002. Cheers.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 09:21 am
Timber... I have closely read your assessment and believe you are right on nearly every count!

Anyone who even KNOWS of Scweppes Bitter Lemon is my friend for life I hope. My son and I search every grocery... there is none to be had in this podunk spot.

We have found a reasonable facsmile, finally. It is called - oh rats, now what is it called. Hmmm. From Italy, green packaging, small bottles or cans, no less, which are great for excursions. Pellegrini. Have you had it? Can you actually purchase Bitter Lemon somewhere?????
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 09:24 am
Manhattans and Whiskey Sours? Together? After Hazelnut Coffee? I think you need some ginger ale! Or here, New Haven, try this Pellegrini. It is good.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 09:30 am
Piffka:

Alka seltzer plus a nice soft pillow for my poor, poor head!

Please!

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 10:09 am
Good idea.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 10:11 am
A bit of advice for those who wish to imbibe heartily:

1) As with any other athletic challenge, this should be approached well rested and properly nourished.

2) While engaged, maintain electrolyte ballance by the plentiful intake of additional water.

3) High Fat Snacks should be consumed apace with booze ... a digestive system distracted by digesting little pizza squares, cocktail franks, or the like is less bothered by alcohol than if left merely to concentrate on the primary task at hand. Even pretzels, chips, and popcorn are prefferable to nothing, though their high salt content will call for proportionately higher volumes of additional water.

4) Maintain a steady, not overly ambitious pace. Bear in mind the contest is one of endurance. Successful recreational imbibing is best accomplished with few, if any sprints.

5) Endeavor to avoid overly sweet concoctions; alcohol itself is a sugar, and you should devote the bulk of you digestive powers to processing it absent similar distraction.

6) Make frequent use of the comfort facilities ... the added water intake encourages a relatively constant processing stream (forgive the unintended, but logical, pun).

7) OPERATE NO EQUIPMENT MORE COMPLEX THAN A DART OR POOL CUE, OR MORE MOBILE THAN A JUKEBOX!

8) If given to the use of ignited tobacco, excersize restraint if at all possible, thus not overly inhibiting blood flow, and allowing for relatively higher blood oxygen.

9) Upon close of festivities, prior to assuming one's bed or other convenient recuperation spot, again consume a fair quantity of water ... several 8-ounce tumblers at least, accompanied with a few aspirin ... acetominophen may, with less benefit, be substituted, but ibuprofin appears innefective.

10) Most important, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. As with any other learned skill, these habits must be ingrained through studious repetition. One's reward will be in proportion to one's dilligence and effort.

Additionally, bear in mind coffee has no "Sobering" effect whatsoever; at best it will provide one only the ability to remain awake longer than one otherwise might.

Enjoy.

timber
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 10:18 am
Timber I was getting ready to sign off, but that's the funniest thing I've read in a while. I will want to read it again, possibly post it somewhere. May I make a copy and send to some friends?

Also, WHAT about the Bitter Lemon??? Can you really get it? Where are you, Wisconsin. Is it available in the midwest????
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 11:34 am
You flatter me, Piffka. Thank you most humbly. Certainly my " Advanced Imbiber's Guide" may be disseminated in any manner you wish; it is original, and I neither request nor expect attribution, though a simple "Found on The Web" would be appreciated and appropriate.

As to Bitter Lemon, request your grocer stock it for you, or at least special order a few cases which you may purchase for your own larder.

timber
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 11:46 am
Hi Max's Dad! I'm not much of a drinker, but I would choose a nice glass of shiraz or a margarita, which ever you have the handiest.
0 Replies

Tommy

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 12:29 pm
Hi Timber. Liked that last post. If you can, get try Robin Red Breast Whiskey made by Jamiesons. Or failing that, Tullamore. Dew. Very Toothsome.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 02:32 pm
Thanks for the kudos, Tommy. I'm quite fond of Tullamore, a bit less so, but still appreciative of, Red Breast. Another Irish of note, for those so inclined, is Tyrconnel, which happens also to be a single malt, a rarity in the genre.

timber.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 02:39 pm
Most dark rums suffice if beer is not at hand.
An old Havana Club or Myers
Single malts with a drop of water.
Fernet Branca.
Campari and soda or O.J.
G&T.

Bitter Lemon is available all over Europe,Piffka.
0 Replies