I'll have a Bud...er, um, I mean an America

Sturgis

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 05:13 pm
According to the latest news, as summer approaches and sales dwindle for Budweiser, they have opted for nonsense as a way to boost sales.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2016/05/11/budweiser-is-america-sounds-about-right/
Quote:
Budweiser is a tasteless concoction that you sometimes order because the only alternative is drinking NOTHING and that would be unbearable.

It's aftertaste is like locking the inside of someone else's athletic shoe. It is always too fizzy or not fizzy enough. It tastes like if you allowed a pita chip to go slow very slowly in your mouth. The most important difference between Budweiser and chilled urine is that I hear some people on the Internet drive k the latter for fun.
And this summer it is changing its name to America. Every 12 ounce can and bottle of The King of Beers (will it have to surrender its title on the grounds that America has no hereditary monarchs?) Will be printed with America in the place of Budweiser until November, at which point the nightmare will end. King of Beers will be replaced with e pluribus unum, and the spot for Anheuser-Busch, Inc will instead Liberty & Justice For All, among other changes.

Keep in mind as well that this feeble liquid called beer is manufactured for an owner now located in Belgium (InBev). And to what end is this being done? To build sales by selling an image, rather than through improving the quality of the product.

Fortunately, I never liked Budweiser in any for when I was still imbibing (although I did occasionally pick up a handsome looking 40ounce bottle), so it just further indicates how bland a beer if they must resort to this method, in this day and age when beers are said to be getting better not worse.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 5,419 • Replies: 25
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 05:38 pm
Gimmicks rarely turn a brand around. Although Bud might try doubling the price. That worked for BMW autos.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 05:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
I get some individual brewers in the area of my last home town, but, eh, beer - points me to a really good stew, back in north north.

I did, though, get to be gang ho for an acquaintance, the guy who did all the murals in our town and varied beer stuff.

Look up Duane Flatmo - wonderful person. I do mean wonderful.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 05:52 pm
@ossobuco,
http://www.northcoastjournal.com/JULY96/7_96_CVR.HTM
ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 06:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Duane Flatmo has made many superior labels..

I am Jo, and regard Sue well.

I would like to hear from old pals, of course.

Just post to ossobuco at a2k.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 07:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
I was told that, in its day before prohibition, Budweiser was a great beer. A lagered style with just enough hops but the sweet flavor prevailed .

I wonder whether the Belgians are just trying to bury bud. Maybe Trump can buy em and make it a hobby after he loses in November.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 08:07 pm
@farmerman,
I used to have a Bud now and again (and again) but that was over a decade ago. I don't recall it being that different than a few other brands.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 09:19 pm
Past all my earlier blather, I am not very interested in beer. I basically don't get it.

I do like good scotch.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 09:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Not had one for years now, should you all be wondering.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 10:25 pm
@ossobuco,
I think I posted pro a person, but the site got catty wanmpuss.
I've no idea.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 05:49 am
I like the horses.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 10:51 am
@Sturgis,
FWIW, I drink beer or ale occasionally with almost no consumption of hard liquor. These days generally I prefer red wine over beer. I'm pretty moderate in my consumption of both.

With that being said, here are my thoughts:

Bud is bland tasting. IMHO, it is predictably and consistently dull as compared to the other beers in market. As a massive consumer group, the market seems to agree.

I stopped drinking Bud/Michelob 35 yrs ago.. Beers from EU took over my re-fridge and were much better tasting to me. Becks, St. Pauli Girl..and a few others won me over. I recognize that I was not in a majority, though. But I also observed over time that a sizable group migrated away from Bud and USA and NA beers.

Fast fwd to the mid-' 90s:
Beer tastes changed. In essence what has happened (over the last 20 yrs) to the beer/ale market is the quality of the competition has come WAY up. Micro-brews sprung up upon our shores Anheuser-Busch as a company didn't do enough about research and put out premium micro-beers. They were rigid and ignored the trend at their peril. (Think GM)

Bud's new mother company, (InBev) has seen Bud's loss of market share and are changing their product line (though aren't changing Bud beer's recipe for brewing).

BTW, new in the last yr...new additions to their line. You should taste their line premium ($$$) brew and their micro-brews and lovely EU beers. InBev owns a slew of big EU top-selling brews.. (Stella Artois...and luscious Belgian beers).

IMHO, beer drinkers who are objective and pay attention and selective about the taste seem to agree. However, some folks still just drink it out of habit or availability...cost or whatever.

For me, my taste is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and quite a few of Sam Adams brews - now and then a Yeungling or two. I'm pleased they're made in USA.

That's just me.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 12:58 pm
@Sturgis,
More beer brew blather:

Bug-weiser (through InBed) takes a shot at trying the market's patience with their newest premium product: Budweiser Black Crown.

Want to waste $10 for a 6-pack? I did try it 2 times last year. To me it tasted like something different ...not too bad...but a poor value. Spend for $7 or $8 for a 6-pack and you can find at least 4 or 5 better beers or ales.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 01:20 pm
@Sturgis,
Stur thank you for that report. Indeed if it's as terrible as when I was a kid...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 03:15 pm
Even a mediocre IPA beats a Bud
Or a Coors,
Or a Schlitz, Rainier, or Narraganset, etc.
Twice as much if they happen to be (shudder) light beers.
mark noble

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 10:28 am
@Sturgis,
Wait till your 'dollar' becomes the 'Amero'.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 02:56 pm
@Sturgis,
I'm far from a beer connoisseur but does anyone really like Bud? I've never seen anyone admit to it but it was the world's best selling beer at some point so some folks must like it.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 03:05 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Even a mediocre IPA beats a Bud
Even a mediocre lager
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 07:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Those are the same people that eat Twinkies and deep fat fried Oreos.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 08:37 pm
@Ragman,
But I know plenty of people who admit to liking like twinkies and Oreos. I don't dislike either myself. Budweiser is the only best selling product on earth that I've never seen anyone admit to liking.