Favorite Potent Potable when you can't have Beer.

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:51 pm
Can you get Ting in your area, Piffka?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 08:23 pm
Piffka

Not too strong; too bitter! Confused I have a terrible sweet tooth - none of these spirit or sour or bitter thingies for me.

Although I do prefer dry wines and bubblies!
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 08:30 pm
Timberland, Bombay Saffire..............whoooo,eeeeeeeeeeeee. Yes, we make a martini of this maybe once a week. Oftener than that, we do not speak civilly for days on end. This is a stirring awakening and slightly disturbing distillation. But fun. And after forty-four years of marriage, a shivvery chilled concoction on a Friday night can be......fun.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:13 pm
Nope, no Ting either, but it sounded interesting.

When my parents used to stay half the year in Mexico they'd bring up cases of our favorite Mexican pop.... Vita, made with fresh grapefruit juice.

We had a song... ahem "Beeeta. Beeta. Beeta. Beeta. Beeta. Beeta.'''' Beeta.''' Beeta, Beeta. Beeta. Beeta, Beeta.

Ahh, as I look back that doesn't seem to interesting, but if you know the tune you'd like it and the Vita, too.

Vita was as good as Bitter Lemon. Maybe if sang Bitter Lemon I could get some....
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:27 pm
pdog: AUSGEZEICHNET!!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 11:14 am
distinguished? i don't get it. but then, my german quarter came over a hundred years ago or so. (and it's mixed in with scots and irish and english and cherokee, so i'm bound to like the bottle a bit.)

nice quote, by the way...
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 01:40 pm
Shows what I know, I always took that to mean, "Excellent", oh well, entschuldigen mir, bitte.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 01:43 pm
...i just knows what the virtual babelfish tells me, less'n it be some of the little bit of español i knows...

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr
0 Replies

bree

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 02:07 pm
Piffka, if it's any comfort to you, I can't find Schweppes bitter lemon here in the center of civilization (New York City), either. I've had to settle for making my summertime vodka-and-bitter-lemon with Canada Dry bitter lemon, which is nowhere near as good as Schweppes (too much like lemon soda).

The rest of the year, my favorite drink is Wild Turkey and water. I know that putting water in it makes me a wimp, but what can I say: I'm a wimp. I once went on a tour of Ireland that was led by an Irish poet. One evening after a hard day's sightseeing, several of us were sitting around the hotel bar, drinking Irish whiskies to which we had added water, when the poet came along and said (imagine this being uttered in a fine Irish brogue), "That's a curious thing ye've done with that whiskey -- puttin' water in it." I hear that in my mind's ear every time I pour water into my glass of Wild Turkey.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 03:02 pm
Great story bree!

I had my first Guinness in Ireland (Cork to be exact) and I've loved it ever since. But, as I recall, it tasted much better over there. Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 07:42 pm
In Scotland at the Talisker Distillery we were told to always add a drop or two of water to whiskey. It really does improve the flavor, regardless of what that poet said. Honest!! Just a couple of drops. It was all explained to me in scientific detail, but I've forgotten everything but the deed itself! (That Talisker is potent!)

I have ordered Schweppe's Bitter Lemon from the local Safeway. It was a huge hassle, I had to talk to two people, one of who had to get on the phone to somebody else and yet another person is supposed to call me tomorrow. I don't even know yet if it's a go, but I really don't want to pay shipping charges on a case or two -- it would really add to the cost!
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 08:47 pm
bree, sure'n you dinna add a wee drap of water to your whiskey?? Oh, that will weaken it altogether.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 12:12 am
A whiskey that can weakened by a bit of water is hardly a whiskey at all in the Highlands! You must be drinking that inferior Irish stuff.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 04:00 am
I have to stand by Piffka on this one.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 05:08 am
Depends for me I guess..

When I am out clubbing - nothing but Tequila shots
When I am out with friends pub crawling - Vodka tonic
When I really wanna enjoy my drink - two fingers of single malt whiskey in a heavy crystal tumbler with two cubes of ice
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 07:24 am
Ice cubes with a single malt!!
Don´t let any Scots see you with that.
Tch tch tch Gautam.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 07:37 am
What happened to Kara? I was so hoping she'd jump at my bait.

Ah yes, but it's not really my drink. I think maybe it is so cold in Scotland that they don't need ice. In more temperate climes (like England) the ice melts quickly, though it is too much water so you must drink it right up. Perhaps that is what Guatam does?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 07:42 am
Actually this habit comes from India, where we *have* to put ice in our drinks because it is so warm !!!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 07:43 am
And ofocurse - I don't sip my scotch - I down it !!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 07:44 am
There you go! You probably have ice leftover which is then handy for the next round.
0 Replies