Talking about Cavfancier - 10 years on

mezzie

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 04:10 pm
Paul, it's been nearly 10 years since we shared a smile. A lot has changed, yet everything stays the same. It's another brutally cold winter, but there is extra warmth in my household. My 2 boys, who you never had a chance to meet, are growing up beautifully. They both take after you in different ways. My eldest's middle name is "Paul"; he is a voracious reader and an excellent speller (he's 7). I imagine he'll be a passionate student of literature someday... My little one is nearly 5; he has an impish smile and is devilishly mischievous. I guarantee in another 20 years or so he'll have an "Eat ****" online avatar, too Wink

If anyone is still around from the old-er days, feel free to chime in with updates for Paul. I'm sure he'd love to hear them!

jespah

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 04:11 pm
@mezzie,
Dammit this makes me happy and weepy at the same time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 04:14 pm
Paul will not be forgotten by his a2k friends. It seems like only yesterday he was here, sharing poetry and food ideas.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 04:32 pm
@mezzie,
I'm happy you posted this, mezzie, also smiling with moist eyes.

Us long timers still miss him. Geez, ten years.

Paul, your humor is a, endless cloud of velvet and sparks, and it's still with us.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 04:48 pm
@ossobuco,
And I still put commas in the wrong places by mistake.
farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 05:31 pm
@ossobuco,
10 years. The poems, the food descriptions. Miss him too.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 06:29 pm
We have a new member who is a foodie and has been reviving old topics. It has been fun rereading them and having Cav's breadcrumbs pop up in them after all these years. It is like paging through an old family cookbook and finding handwritten recipe notes from long gone relatives.

I just looked to see if his old Cinnabar website was still up. Sadly, it is not. But, I did find a couple other items of interest. Your parents set up a memorial award in Paul's name. Was this a one time thing or an ongoing annual award?

https://uwaterloo.ca/renison/current-students/tuition-financial-aid/paul-jeffrey-mesbur-memorial-award

Also found an archive of all our notes in the online viewing guestbook. Lots of memories there, some from other members who have since passed on.

http://www.torontostarclassifieds.com/OLCSApp/do/view_guest_book?adId=302608&classId=any&subclassId=00&name=MESBUR&categoryName=DEATHS
djjd62

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 07:22 pm
wow, ten years, i was a member for about a year when cav died, he was among the first people i encountered on the board and always enjoyed our interactions
djjd62

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 07:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
thanks for the link to the guestbook, a great read
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 09:18 pm
Cannot believe it's been 10 years. Cav, you are missed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 09:23 pm
@mezzie,
hi mezzie

I think of Cav and smile every day - I have a small mickeyD character sitting on the stairwell ledge who I pass several times a day - to remind me of the many lessons I learned from Cav. He was a good friend to many of us here - in real life, and virtually. I will always be grateful that I was able to meet Paul and Naomi.

What a joy that you have reminders of Paul in your sons, the scholar and the imp.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 11:15 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

wow, ten years, i was a member for about a year when cav died, he was among the first people i encountered on the board and always enjoyed our interactions

Same here! It was in the food section and he explained things nicely. At that point I had no idea that he was a chef.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 03:20 am
Although i don't think about him every day, i too often think about him when i see the little Ronald McDonald doll in the stairwell. He had a fantastic sense of humor.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 09:30 am
@mezzie,
I'm reminded of him every time you log on to Bridge Base Online.
I wonder what Paul would have thought of Facebook and whether he would have abandoned A2K for it.
mezzie

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 11:48 am
@panzade,
You must be reminded of him often, then, since I log on to BBO just about every day! Very Happy
mezzie

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 11:56 am
@Butrflynet,
The award is ongoing. I believe it's finally been fully funded and the first student received the award last year.
dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 02:00 pm
@mezzie,
What a great memorial.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 03:07 pm
I was a month old A2K newbie when Paul died. I had a couple interactions with him on food subjects. My greatest takeaway from his passing was the sense of family that A2K represents. As this family mourned his death and reached out to his real life family I gained a completely new awareness of online communities.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 04:23 pm
@mezzie,
Quote:
You must be reminded of him often, then, since I log on to BBO just about every day!

You got that right! So do I.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2015 03:14 pm
@ehBeth,
does your Ronald McDonald Action Figure have an "Eat ****" blackboard.?

When Cav,Kevin, and Dys left us, the civility took a big drop. All three of those guys had a knack to engage you passionately but not mean spirited. Cav and Dys were almost like their own personal skinwalkers who could razz you and themselves at the same time