Any good suggestions for when you must "bring a plate?"

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:00 am
(as we say in Oz)

By which I mean when you're expected to bring a food contribution to say, a Christmas gathering, a meeting of friends, etc ....

Something that you can prepare beforehand, hopefully without too much trouble & strife.

For some reason, there are always plently of dessert contributions, but few offerings of the savoury variety. Possibly because of the need to re-heat a number of savoury type dishes?

Anyway, I thought I'd get in early so's I don't end up taking my same old offering (not that anyone complains! Wink ) to my usual get-togethers.

Any good ideas, anyone?

cjhsa

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:48 am
@msolga,
This is a take on the "classic" green bean casserole without the beans. I never liked that one anyway. This sounds pretty good:

Brussels Sprout Hash with Caramelized Shallots
Bon Appétit | November 2007

Thinly sliced brussels sprouts are sautéed with shallots in this comforting hash.Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, divided
1/2 pound shallots, thinly sliced
Coarse kosher salt
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup water

Melt 3 tablespoons butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; sprinkle with coarse kosher salt and pepper. Sauté until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar. Stir until brown and glazed, about 3 minutes.Halve brussels sprouts lengthwise. Cut lengthwise into thin (1/8-inch) slices. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sprouts; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until brown at edges, 6 minutes. Add 1 cup water and 3 tablespoons butter. Sauté until most of water evaporates and sprouts are tender but still bright green, 3 minutes. Add shallots; season with salt and pepper

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:49 am
@msolga,
Well, obviously, a good wine is an e z start to making u look good.

Ordinarily, my thoughts woud turn to desserts,
but since u nixed that, maybe some roast chicken ?
Steak ?
That is not too demanding to prepare.
Order some Chinese food ?
cjhsa

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:58 am
@msolga,
Also, go to Foodtv.com and look for recipes by Sandra Lee. Her stuff is "semi-homemade" and very simple to prepare.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 05:55 pm
@msolga,
You could bring all the gear and fixings for a fondue, either savory (cheeses, bread cubes, veggies, etc.) or sweet (chocolate and fruit).

Or how about some kind of rice pilaf?

Or, some homemade bread, yeast or quick bread?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:00 pm
@msolga,
I'd volunteer my recent spinach torte recipe except that torte wedges would benefit from a short microwave. So.. that would depend on the event arrangements.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:06 pm
@cjhsa,
I'm a fan of the brussels sprout hash cjhsa posted and other similar sprout-y dishes.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:11 pm
@msolga,
Home-made french fries with a spicy chipotle sauce, or some other sort of peppery sauce.

Never lasts long at a party.

Cycloptichorn
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:56 pm
You could also make a quiche. Quiche is good whether warm or cold.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 07:00 pm
@Butrflynet,
I have tried making quiche a number of times. I must be doing something wrong.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 07:05 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quiche is one of the easiest things to make. All you need is a pie crust, some eggs, some cheese, some spices, some milk, and some flavorings such as onions, bacon, peppers, and any other veggies.

I do it so often I don't even use a recipe anymore. I'll see if I can find a good one for you with lots of detail.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 07:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes, just like my spinach torte. Best with microwave to whomp it up as a single dish to wonderment.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 07:17 pm
@Butrflynet,
The basic ratio is two eggs per cup of milk/cream and a cup of shredded cheese per pie crust. You'll need more or less of each depending on what other ingredients you add. Pile up the veggies and cheese into the pie crust and then pour the egg/milk mixture over them, pouring slow enough for the liquid to seep through the layers of veggie. Then bake for about 45 minutes.

I usually make two of them, and freeze the second one for later. It is a good way to use up a lot of leftovers.

Here's Alton Brown's Refrigerator Pie recipe as he calls it.

Ingredients

1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
2 eggs
2 pinches kosher salt
Freshly grated nutmeg

For 1 Refrigerator Pie:

1 frozen 9-inch pie crust

Any one of the following combinations:

Cooked spinach, cheddar cheese, cubed cooked ham
Bacon, Sauteed leeks, and Gruyere cheese
Cooked spinach, canned artichoke hearts, and Parmesan cheese
Roasted chicken, goat cheese, and sun-dried tomatoes
Blanched asparagus and smoked salmon
Port Salut and Spam

Directions
In a nonreactive, stainless steel bowl, combine the cream or half-and-half and the eggs. Whisk until combined thoroughly. Add the salt and the nutmeg. Whisk to combine.

Refrigerator Pie Rules:

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Evenly distribute the pie fillings in the pie crust. Do not overfill the crust with the filling ingredients. Do not pour too much royale into the crust. The eggs will expand upon cooking. Bake the pie until it is firm to the touch like set Jell-O, about 45 minutes. Cool the pie for at least 15 minutes before slicing.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 11:28 pm
@ossobuco,
A short microwave is absolutely no problem, osso. It's a big re-heat in the oven that's difficult ... & problematic re the timing of serving food.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 11:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
Good idea, Butrflynet ... but then I'd have to go out & buy the fondue gear! (& I'm a wee bit broke at the moment! Wink )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 11:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Home-made french fries with a spicy chipotle sauce, or some other sort of peppery sauce.

Never lasts long at a party.

That's be terrific if the gathering was at my home, Cyclo ... but it isn't. I need to make the food beforehand, then transport it there.

But I certainly will try that when I have my next summer gathering here - at home! I love spicy sauces! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:04 am
Thanks for your responses so far, everyone. Plenty of food for thought here so far.

Any other ideas would certainly be most welcome!
spikepipsqueak

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:21 am
@msolga,
For the past few months my "plate" has been sausage rolls. Frozen puff pastry makes them easy. A total stranger gave me the hint to put 1 grated apple in the meat mix - makes a difference. A big plate reheats in a few minutes of microwave.
msolga

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:50 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Hello spikepipsqueak

I think I read on another thread, that you're from Melbourne, Oz? Or do I have my wires crossed?

If you are a Melbournian, like my good self >>>> G'day! And welcome! (Aren't we lucky to live in the best city in Oz? Wink Razz Very Happy )

Apple in the sausage roll mixture? - that's interesting. How does it change the common old sausage roll?
Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:43 am
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/1/2401064_14733c0694.jpg?v=0

Vodka Jello shots! Very festive. Numbs the pain of Christmas....