Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 08:42 am
South Carolina is a "special" state, and normally one would say, that Wilson's
political faux pas will cost him his seat - in South Carolina he probably will
be cheered.
For the rest of the nation, it's just another way to see that the Republican
ship is sinking even faster.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 09:15 am
I agree with those who advise deal from strength. Otherwise these dolts will succeed in undoing our president for the rest of his term.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 09:20 am
@CalamityJane,
Ships in two party systems normally rise and sink pretty predictably.

I doubt the Republican ship is doing more than the usual motion in the ocean.

It sounds like this fella has been pretty offensive, though.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 09:32 am
Unfortunately CJ, it's not just South Carolina. It's not just the "South". These circumstances are unprecedented . No one knows how it will play out.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 11:39 am
I think that what Wilson did disrespects his office and the SC delegation more than it disrespected the President.

Countdown until he loses then the Rush's, Beck's and O'Reilly's start talking about how the democrats are shutting down people you disagree with the president. It will fit nicely into their conspiracy theories.

T
K
O
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 12:33 pm
I agree 100%! But then again, Maureen Dowd is a hot sexy babe. I'll agree with almost anything a hot sexy babe says to me. As long as it doesn't involve putting anything up my ass.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 12:56 pm
I thought some people I know were pretty level headed. A few weeks ago, I mentioned something involving race, not to start a racial discussion, but for other purposes. I was given a blast about black people and the president in particular. I said, "Oh." And hurriedly left the room. (It was a customer. I was not allowed to react as I wished to.) I have had to conclude that racial animosity plays a greater part in this than I previously imagined. On the other hand, most of the right's tactics would have been used with equal ferocity against any Democrat, as evidenced by the way they have treated Bill and Hillary.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 01:02 pm
In a nutshell: “A lot of these outbursts have to do with delegitimizing him as a president,” said Congressman Jim Clyburn, a senior member of the South Carolina delegation.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 02:40 pm
@eoe,
Yeah! Every so often I'm really glad Maureen Dowd is out there typing and opinion'ing.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 02:51 pm
Maureen Dowd wrote:
Surrounded by middle-aged white guys " a sepia snapshot of the days when such pols ran Washington like their own men’s club " Joe Wilson yelled “You lie!” at a president who didn’t.

But, fair or not, what I heard was an unspoken word in the air: You lie, boy!

Similarly, Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) stated the following:

Quote:
I was incredibly disappointed in the tone of his speech. At times I found his tone to be overly combative and believe he behaved in a manner beneath the dignity of the office.

It reminds of the jim crow era and the white man's admonition to his colored servant: "You better watch your tone, boy."
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 02:58 pm
ah yes...the troops are certainly rallying.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 04:25 pm
@eoe,
JESUS ******* CHRIST!!!!!!!

Do we REALLY have to make everything relating to BO racist?
eoe

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 04:28 pm
well, I'm sure many racist suffer from BO but what's that got to do with anything?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 04:29 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Do we REALLY have to make everything relating to BO racist

Yep, bacause EVERYONE tends to place too much importance on race, it is not only the haters who suffer from this flaw.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 04:45 pm
Some things are just too painfully obvious and ignoring it, or refusing to admit it or acknowledge it simply won't make it go away.
maporsche

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 04:49 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

Some things are just too painfully obvious and ignoring it, or refusing to admit it or acknowledge it simply won't make it go away.

And some people just see these things everywhere; don't they?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 04:52 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
And some people just see these things everywhere; don't they?

seek and ye shall find.....ever heard that before???
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 04:55 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

JESUS ******* CHRIST!!!!!!!

Do we REALLY have to make everything relating to BO racist?

Yes. They had other issues to go after Clinton. They have to use this one to get Obama.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 04:55 pm
@eoe,
To me it's like crying wolf. This guy may well be racist, but with the available evidence it could also just be projection and being so easy on the trigger to call it racism means a lot more false positives which in turn means a lot more people fed up with the accusation. It dilutes the meaning if we apply it to every possible suspicion. When a real racist comes along then a lot of the outrage is depleted. Playing the race card too often makes it lose its power, and we need that political capital to fight real racism today.