Well Damn! Somebody finally SAID IT!!

maporsche

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 05:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm not talking about the reason that republicans are against BO's healthcare plan. I understand their need to shoot that piece of legislation down (and so do you).
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 07:03 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
It dilutes the meaning if we apply it to every possible suspicion. When a real racist comes along then a lot of the outrage is depleted. Playing the race card too often makes it lose its power, and we need that political capital to fight real racism today.

I agree. My mind didn't trace immediately to racism or the issue of race at all. This incident seems to be one of poor class, but not poor class due to racism.

If we are to show some outrage, let's look at some more 9/12 signs.

T
K
O
Below viewing threshold (view)
Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 07:10 pm
I understand that the accepted decorum in Congress dictates that no one shout at the President; however, for posterity, do we as Americans want to proselytize a national character where we are always under emotional control and "obedient." The extrapolation of such a character could end in Americans clicking their heels together. Do we want that? Do the Brits, for all their emphasis on decorum, not have comments in Parliment like "hear, hear," or "harumph!"?

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 07:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
Racial issues are not about white and black people. There are MANY races, and the reduction of the issues into how a race relates to whites is all to common place.

A discussion on the general issue of blacks being oppressed in our culture is not at topic right here. We can have a conversation relating to race solely confined to the events and the specific people here: Congress, 9/9/09 speech.

Wile it is true that someone can claim they are mistreated when they are not, it does not follow that another person is crying wolf if they are actually mistreated because someone else bluffed or inflated their claim to sympathy. In other words, just because not all things involving Obama's critics are racist, does not mean that the claims that some of his critics are genuinely racist is invalid.

T
K
O
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 07:32 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
In other words, just because not all things involving Obama's critics are racist, does not mean that the claims that some of his critics are genuinely racist is invalid.

and perhaps we would all be better off if we concentrated on the bad acts without trying to psychoanalyse the prep trying to figure out what the motivation was. People are wrong when they try to guess at others motivation a large percentage of the time.

0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 07:39 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

In a nutshell: “A lot of these outbursts have to do with delegitimizing him as a president,” said Congressman Jim Clyburn, a senior member of the South Carolina delegation.

Yep. Whether it's racist or not, this is definitely what it's all about.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 07:42 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I'm not talking about the reason that republicans are against BO's healthcare plan. I understand their need to shoot that piece of legislation down (and so do you).

Neither am I. But I very much want that health care legislation passed.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 07:49 pm
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
Yep. Whether it's racist or not, this is definitely what it's all about

that is a very powerfull charge

Quote:

so what are we saying here? That wilson does not believe that obama was legally elected? Is there any evidence that this is what he believes????

eoe

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 09:13 pm
Continue to duck and dodge if you must. It's not in the least bit surprising that you must. I guess you feel as if you're fighting for your very lives, as you've always known them, full of so much guarantee and exclusivity. But the obvious is there, right there for you, me and the world to see. Pissing on people's heads and calling it rain? Have the balls to declare your true intention.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 09:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Dowd makes a pretty good case, though, for racism still being common in South Carolina, and in the Republican party. Certainly I've seen it, and continue to see it, here in Texas.

Stuff like this does need to be aired out, IMO. A lot of stuff is allowed to slip by for fear of being labeled thin-skinned. But if you let too much slide, then people start to escalate.
Below viewing threshold (view)
eoe

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 09:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
And what are you doing for the betterment of America?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 10:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm glad he did speak out, 'cause now I know what a slimy, scumbag piece of **** he really is.

And I get to speak out about what a slimy, scumbag piece of **** he is, because that's the way it works.

And I get to say, because that's the way it works, that South Carolina is looking like a pretty shitty place, and they really ought to clean up their act and elect someone who isn't a slimy, scumbag piece of **** to represent them.

I get to say all of those things.

And if you want to say something different, you get to do so, and then I get to respond and tell you what I think about it.

Bite me, you scummy, rapist-loving, woman-hating piece of dog crap.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 10:08 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Bite me, you scummy, rapist-loving, woman-hating piece of dog crap.

Your reactive emotionalism gets in the way of the working together to solve problems which must take place if we are to get out of this sorry place that modern man is in. You are being self indulgent, and immature, and thus are not available for the work of humanity.

The sad thing is that you, I am sure, feel a tremendous jolt of self esteem due to your outburst. It is unearned.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 10:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
Ah, you're one of those kinds of trolls. That actually fits, since many abusive men fit that profile. Insult and stay calm, and get your kicks while your opponent gets angry.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 10:14 pm
@DrewDad,
if you ignore it, it goes away...

(unlike racism)
DrewDad

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 10:16 pm
@Rockhead,
I'll consider that.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 01:18 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Great, so what are you going to do about it???

I'd wager a guess that one of the things he does about it is votes for candidates that aren't racist to help get the racist ones out. I'd imagine that he tries to illustrate this point to others that don't want that kind of person in office and encourage them to vote them out.

I'm just guessing, but that's probably SOME of the things he's doing about racism in our elected offices.

T
K
O
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 03:13 am
@Foofie,
Both Britain and Australia have traditions of extremely robust debate with Prime Ministers, who are accorded far less in the way of kid gloves than your President.

However, calling the PM or another member of Parliament a liar, unless immediately substantiated, would be seen as un-Parliamentary language, and would result in censure and a demand for a withdrawal of the comment, or possible exile from the Chamber for the rest of the day, or somesuch.

0 Replies