Soccer/Football Fans

Walter Hinteler

Mon 19 Oct, 2009 02:26 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

I think Ribery is currently Bavarian and injured.

That's how we try it ...
Walter Hinteler

Mon 19 Oct, 2009 02:27 pm
@lmur,
You have to say that 11 times plus five times for the substitutes.
0 Replies

Francis

Mon 19 Oct, 2009 02:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
You mean you are that vicious? I can't believe it! Shocked
Walter Hinteler

Mon 19 Oct, 2009 02:33 pm
@Francis,
Well, I think, Ireland is a lot easier to beat than France ... (And re Bayern Munich: they're really not my favourite team.)
0 Replies

lmur

Mon 19 Oct, 2009 04:05 pm
@fbaezer,
Interesting perspective.
What expectations do Mexicans have? Will they be second or third seeds?
fbaezer

Mon 19 Oct, 2009 06:36 pm
@lmur,
All I know is that we'll face a seeded team, a European team and a team from either Conmebol, Asia or Africa.
As for seeded teams, everyone prefers South Africa (the hosts have lost 8 of their last 9 games), and we usually play well against Brazil & Italy, have bad luck against Argentina and always lose against Germany, our nemesis. We'd rather play Spain's Red Fury than the Deustsche Fussball Maschine, however rusty the latter may seem.
European teams: we usually do well against second tier European teams (defeated Belgium in '86 and '98, Ireland in '94, Croatia in '02) ; the only thing is not to find a hidden powerhouse (lost to Portugal in '06).
As for the others, they're all beatable (but we quietly prefer Asians: defeated Irak in '86, Korea in '98 and Iran in '06).
fbaezer

Mon 19 Oct, 2009 06:41 pm
@lmur,
Our team was in deep disarray when managed by Sven Goran Ericsson, and was not able to win as visitor. But thankfully "Sven Boring Swede" (Lord Ellpus dixit) was fired, and Javier Aguirre (our national coach in '02, who had migrated to the Spanish Liga) came to the rescue. Now the team looks good enough.
ossobuco

Mon 19 Oct, 2009 06:46 pm
@fbaezer,
Ok, then, a team for me to root for, thus to learn.
fbaezer

Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I warn you, osso, we usually give big headaches to Italy.
0 Replies

lmur

Tue 20 Oct, 2009 03:26 pm
@fbaezer,
Of course, I forgot that each group will contain a mixture of Confederations and that only one team will be seeded.

I remember Mexico-Ireland in '94. Sweltering heat in Florida, the game kicked off around noon, US time. Two good strikes from Garcia and a late consolation from Aldridge. Our boys did have the satisfaction of beating the Italians in the Giants Stadium. It was a tough group as Norway were also pretty strong at that time (I think they beat Mexico). As usual, the Italians just did enough to qualify and of course went on to lose to Brazil in the final.

Memories - it's all we've got!!!

fbaezer

Tue 20 Oct, 2009 04:00 pm
@lmur,
Sure I remember, Imur.
All four teams ended up with 4 points, and no goal difference.
But Ireland & Norway foolishly played their last game to a 0-0 draw, expecting a Mexican loss against Italy. It didn't happen, we won the 1994 "group of death".

Mexico's trauma has to never be able to play "the 5th game" outside our country. We always go through the group phase, only to be eliminated the next one. We were defeating Bulgaria, and lost in penalty kicks. We were defeating Germany, and lost. We were defeating Argentina, and lost in overtime... And the only time we were certain we'd win, we lost against the US.
Diest TKO

Tue 20 Oct, 2009 04:42 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:
And the only time we were certain we'd win, we lost against the US.

You should take our approach. Be certain, you're going to loose EVERY match, then be delightfully surprised when you don't!

T
K
Cool
spendius

Tue 20 Oct, 2009 04:53 pm
@Diest TKO,
No wonder you lose a lot.
Diest TKO

Tue 20 Oct, 2009 06:46 pm
@spendius,
That's not true of most recent times sourpuss. The USA is doing pretty well. We're pretty proud of how much improved they are. We do have some major injuries though so I worry about what happens next. Either way, we're proud.

T
K
O
spendius

Wed 21 Oct, 2009 05:00 am
@Diest TKO,
I wasn't talking about the US football team you silly moo.

I was talking about the loser's attitude you expressed which no coach would entertain.
ossobuco

Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:14 am
@ossobuco,
That's okay with me, Fb. I'd like to see Mexico do well..
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:08 pm
@spendius,
I'm totally fine with that spendi. I don't need your approval or a coaches approval to go out on the weekend and strike a few balls into a net and feel satisfied.

T
K
o
Walter Hinteler

Tue 10 Nov, 2009 01:58 pm
A sad news for Germany and German football: Robert Enke, the Hannover and Germany goalkeeper, has died, according to the Bundesliga club's president. He was 32 years old.

As far as is known by now, it was a suicide at a level-crossing.

Two or three years ago, Enke's young daughter died due to a congenital heart defect. - This year, Enke got a virus and wasn't playing for some time, mised the last matches of the national team and wasn't nominated for the next two friendlies. (However, national manager Löw always confirmed that he was his No. 1.)
spendius

Tue 10 Nov, 2009 02:56 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
I don't need your approval or a coaches approval to go out on the weekend and strike a few balls into a net and feel satisfied.

I might be overestimating you TK but if I dig your drift you might do well to remember that nets are for catching things in.
Diest TKO

Tue 10 Nov, 2009 07:04 pm
@spendius,
Yeah, nets are nice. I don't like having to chase my ball down a hill after every shot.

T
K
O
0 Replies