Soccer/Football Fans

spendius

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 01:20 pm
@spendius,
It's odd how A2K's No I male chauvinist pig is not confining his interest to men's soccer. Here's a matter of national pride in the US and it doesn't get a mention.

I watched a match once that the US Ladies played and I must say I thought they were very good considering all the circumstances.
FreeDuck

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 01:42 pm
@spendius,
There's no question that our women's team has dominated internationally over the last 20 years or so. I think we talked about this in a previous world cup thread -- about how women's soccer in the US is so much stronger than men's and why that is. You can even catch many women's college soccer games on Fox Soccer Channel now. Our national league didn't survive, but internationally, we are very very strong.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 01:52 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

There's no question that our women's team has dominated internationally over the last 20 years or so. I think we talked about this in a previous world cup thread -- about how women's soccer in the US is so much stronger than men's and why that is. You can even catch many women's college soccer games on Fox Soccer Channel now. Our national league didn't survive, but internationally, we are very very strong.

http://i25.tinypic.com/2je9swh.jpg

Coming back to men's football: since Germany is now the now UEFA Champion at U17, U19 and U21 - shouldn't you forget the next championships?
lmur

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:00 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
(to FreeDuck)
Coming back to men's football: since Germany is now the now UEFA Champion at U17, U19 and U21 - shouldn't you forget the next championships?

If only it worked like that, Walter. Our golden age would be kicking in around now; overseen by the all-conquering Supremo, Brian Kerr (last seen wearing Long John's on the Faeroe Islands).
0 Replies

George

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:08 pm
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
Our national league didn't survive, but internationally, we are very very strong.

Women's Pro Soccer (WPS) is back.
Go Breakers!
FreeDuck

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 04:27 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Quote:
Our national league didn't survive, but internationally, we are very very strong.

Women's Pro Soccer (WPS) is back.
Go Breakers!

You know, I forgot that I caught a glimpse of a game about a month ago with some of the old US players (Brandy Chastain was one, I think) playing. I was wondering if it was a new league or what. Thanks for telling me, George!
spendius

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 04:31 pm
@FreeDuck,
It was me who brought up Ladies Soccer FD. These liberal equality merchants never gave it a second thought despite the excellence of your beautiful team.
FreeDuck

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 04:36 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

It was me who brought up Ladies Soccer FD. These liberal equality merchants never gave it a second thought despite the excellence of your beautiful team.

Oh, I know it was you, spendi. I was just thanking George for a bit of information that I didn't know -- namely that our women's league has been reincarnated. And now I remember that the women's game I saw on Fox Soccer Channel was in fact not a college game... (so you can see us on tv too!)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 7 Sep, 2009 09:40 am
Some interested results in various groups over the weekend, especially re Argentina and Brazil.
(In the very moment, the German female team is trying to reach the semi-finals in the European championship, England already being there.)
Walter Hinteler

Mon 7 Sep, 2009 09:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

(In the very moment, the German female team is trying to reach the semi-finals in the European championship, England already being there.)

It is, of course, the semi-final - vs Norway - and 'we' are trying to get in the final. (And it starts in 10 mins.) Embarrassed
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Wed 9 Sep, 2009 10:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
North America/Central America/Carribean Rankings after the weekend.

Team (W/D/L-GF/GA-Pts)

#1 USA (5/1/2-14/9-16)
#2 Mexico (5/0/3-12/9-15)
#3 Honduras (4/1/3-14/8-13)

#4 Costa Rica (4/0/4-9/13-12)
#5 El Salvador (2/2/4-8/10-8)
#6 Trinidad and Tobago (1/2/5-8/16-5)

T
K
O
Walter Hinteler

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:25 am
@Diest TKO,
No real surprise yesterday.

LIST OF TEAMS AT 2010 WORLD CUP (as of today):

HOSTS
South Africa

AFRICA QUALIFYING
Ghana

ASIA QUALIFYING
Japan
Australia
South Korea
North Korea

EUROPE QUALIFYING
England
Netherlands
Spain

SOUTH AMERICA QUALIFYING
Brazil
Paraguay

Diest TKO

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
As in standings, or as in they have enough points as is to guarantee their place?

T
K
O
Walter Hinteler

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:42 am
@Diest TKO,
Enough points (not South Africa, of course).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:42 am
Thanks for starting the thread, TK.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:51 am
[Our women just won the European Championship: England 2 : Germany 6]
spendius

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:53 am
It turns out that FIFA had booked all the best hotels before South Africa was chosen for the venue.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

[Our women just won the European Championship: England 2 : Germany 6]

I'm not sure if this can be watched outside the UK - but Behringers 30m shot really is worth being looked at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/women/8249453.stm

Edited: here it is, at about 0:35 min

lmur

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:15 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Congrats to the Deutsche Frauen, Walter.

Did you see that the Faroe Islands beat Lithuania 2-1 on Wednesday? A fantastic ahievement.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:36 pm
@lmur,
Just a short video replay. (I'm more a fan of Liechtenstein - they understand my supporting shouts better Wink )