Ha, Ha. It's Back! The A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:51 am
One can find studies to prove any point. I do think running in a pack, as opposed to being calm and reflective stirs a bit of primal juices, but I also recall that pack think as in military service fades, once one becomes a civilian.
Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 08:37 am
Re Jets: RUN (it), Bubba Gump, RUN!

S-l-i-d-e, Sanchez, SLIDE! San-chise can't seem to get it in his head. Now he may have caused their playoff chances to evaporate away on his bad wheels.

T.O. is seeing Derrel Revis in his sleep.
spendius

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:10 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
One can find studies to prove any point.

Maybe, but they can hardly be scientific studies if they are that flexible. The constantly rumbling row here over the disuse of playing fields in schools is not applicable to the denominational schools. That sort of fact is easily studied objectively. In some schools I know about the three Rs are religion, rugby and writing.

Some scientists reckon that the stagnation of the primal juices in injurious to health. And the expression "military service fades" can also mean, and usually does, getting older and lazier.

Does one ever become a civilian?

What is at stake here Ed is not personal. I am pointing to the inconsistency of media in attacking religious observances and not the sporting temperment which are intimately linked. This hypocrisy, a word I use to avoid patronising those involved by assuming they are unaware of it, I would claim is because media can make very little money out of religious observances and it can make plenty of money out of the sporting temperment and also because media lacks the guts to attack the sporting temperment and attacking religious devotion is dead easy.

As soon as tobacco advertising was banned (i.e. media can make no money out of the smoking habit) it was obvious that media would then engage in the villification of smoking for the very simple reason that expenditure on tobacco reduces expenditure on products it is still allowed to advertise.

Media is amoral. Television is another matter. Televsion is a scientific device raising binoculars to a new level and that is all it is. Seeing at a greater distance. Media is your new priesthood and it requires no vows to be taken.
George

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:13 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

. . . T.O. is seeing Derrel Revis in his sleep.

I, alas, am seeing T.O. on my fantasy football team.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 12:52 pm
@spendius,
I think you are full of ****, spendi, but I do agree that the media and business in general is in it for the high dollar, and principles mean nothing to them.

"
Some scientists reckon that the stagnation of the primal juices in injurious to health. And the expression "military service fades" can also mean, and usually does, getting older and lazier.
"
I lost the group think thing about two months after departing the military, at age 23. Whereas I, the military guy, felt it was my duty to reenlist, so that I could serve in Vietnam, I, the new civilian, quickly became a protestor of that same war.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:33 pm
@Ragman,

he learned nothing from girardi's tutelage...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:01 pm
@realjohnboy,
Buffalo (bah.)
Chicago
Jacksonville
New England
Philadelphia
New Orleans
Tennessee (Indy has to lose one this year and Ten is hot...)
Pittsburgh
Denver
Tampa Bay
Cincinnati
San Diego
Dallas
San Francisco
Minnesota
Baltimore (24-17)
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:12 pm
@McGentrix,
Thanks, McGentrix, for your picks. We look forward to getting Spendi's.
spendius

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:18 pm
@realjohnboy,
Jets, in the bag, Bears, Jaguars, Patriots, Eagles, Saints, Colts, Steelers, Broncos, Panthers, Bengals, Chargers, Giants, Seahawks, Vikings and Packers (18-10).

3 way tie at the top just for a while eh?
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:46 pm
@spendius,
McGentrix (127-50) after Thursday's game;
Spendius (127-50);
MaPorsche (127-50);
Johnboy (125-52).

Games To Watch:
Houston (Johnboy & Maporsche) vs Jacksonville (McGentrix & Spendius);
Philly (McGentrix, Maporsche & Spendius) vs Atlanta (Johnboy);
Tennessee (McGentrix & Maporsche) vs Indy (Johnboy & Spendius);
Tampa Bay (McGentrix) vs Carolina (Johnboy, Maporsche & Spendius);
Dallas (McGentrix, Johnboy & Maporsche) vs NY Giants (Spendius);
San Fran (McGentrix & Johnboy) vs Seattle (Maporsche & Spendius);
Baltimore (McGentrix) vs Green Bay (Johnboy, Maporsche & Spendius).

I can predict with some certainty that there will either be a clear leader or there won't be.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 04:35 pm
JETS
Chicago
Jacksonville
New England
Philadelphia
New Orleans
Indy
Pittsburgh
Denver
Carolina
Cincinnati
San Diego
Dallas
San Francisco
Minnesota
Green Bay (24-21)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 04:43 pm
Earlier today I noticed that it was snowing in Houston with a strong wind out of the North. How do things look, Edgar?
The forecast for here in the mountains of Virginia has gotten a bit more dire as the day has gone on. 2-4" of snow forecast for overnight and into tomorrow.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 04:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
36F here right now, 16 tonight. Chance of snow on Tuesday..

I may be forced to consider wearing socks.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 04:58 pm
Snow is almost gone away. There will be a freeze tonight, with the possibility of icing in some places. All in all, not much of a storm (but my feet are cold).
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:31 pm
Not much chance of snow down here johnboy....
dang!
0 Replies

Miz Cowdoc

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 10:33 am
@realjohnboy,
Here are the rest.... I almost forgot

Chicato
Jackson
New England
Philly
New Orleans
Indy
Pittsburgh
Denver
Tampa Bay
Cinn
San Diego
Giants
San Fran
Minn
Green Bay 30 - 24
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 10:37 am
We had enough icing on bridges to cause multiple accidents. To my knowledge, one fatality. We are above freezing and it's sunny this morning.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 12:32 pm
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

The rain turned to snow just after day break and it started getting colder as the morning wore on. There is some snow sticking to the pavement. It is quite pretty looking out my window across the field and into the woods beyond.
I am still needing picks for tomorrow's games from EhBeth, Mysteryman, Ragman and Lmur.

By the way, I met NPR's "political junkie" Ken Rudin last evening. He's in town, with others, to celebrate their new Cville studios. They all have amazing "radio voices."
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
The rest of my Weak #13 picks:

Phily Iggles
Chic (da)-Bearz
Cinn Bungles
Indy Colts
Den Broncos
NE Pats
Pitts Steelers