Ha, Ha. It's Back! The A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 04:33 pm
@mysteryman,
It's a date. Ms. MM and ElStud would probably enjoy a trip to San Diego though and they can go to a Godfather movie.
jespah

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 03:37 am
@Foxfyre,
My company goes to Comic-Con. Perhaps I can write it off as a business expense.
George

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 07:09 am
@jespah,
The Puppy wrote:
My company goes to Comic-Con. . . .

Kewl. They hiring?
Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 07:44 am
So, like . . . is The Girl gonna make monkeys outta yall again this year by picking by her favorite colors on the jerseys, or because she likes the names of the towns they're in? Somebody should a study of her success, and compare to the "scientific" analysts.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:12 am
@Setanta,
You put your finger right on the problem, Setanta. First of all, she is a girl. I did well last year, but she finished ahead of me.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 09:17 am
@George,
George wrote:
The Puppy wrote:
My company goes to Comic-Con. . . .

Kewl. They hiring?

Unfortunately it's not the IT dep't that goes to Comic-Con; it's the editors and marketing folk. I think last year they sent a buncha girls dressed up like Sailor Moon.
George

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 09:17 am
@jespah,
Quote:
Unfortunately it's not the IT dep't that goes to Comic-Con; it's the editors and
marketing folk. I think last year they sent a buncha girls dressed up like Sailor
Moon.

I could do that.
jespah

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 09:22 am
@George,
You wanna go as a girl dressed like Sailor Moon? What would the Lovely Bride say?
George

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 09:28 am
@jespah,
Quote:
You wanna go as a girl dressed like Sailor Moon? What would the Lovely Bride
say?

"Shave your legs."
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 05:23 pm
Mysteryman: I was driving on the by-pass the other day. I was perhaps 8 car lengths behind a tandem tractor trailer from Old Dominion Freight Lines. A cab and two trailers. He moved into the left-hand lane to allow a car to merge into traffic from an entrance ramp. Then he moved back into the right-hand lane.
The rear trailer started to fish-tail: 3-4' on to the shoulder and then an equal amount into the left lane. The front trailer went a couple of feet in the opposite direction with each of 4 or 5 repetitions. It looked, from my vantage point, pretty scary.
Was it? I know that you have driven big rigs.
mysteryman

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 05:51 pm
@realjohnboy,
It sounds like to me his rear trailer was empty, based on your description.
If that was the case, it may have been caught in the grooves in the road, those are caused by heavy vehicles.

Yes, it can be scary to look at, and if the driver isnt paying attention it could have been disastrous, but if a driver knows what he is doing it wont be much of a problem.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 05:56 pm
@mysteryman,
Thank you. I never saw brake lights come on. I expect the best thing to do would be maintain speed, or even accelerate slightly.
mysteryman

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 05:45 am
@realjohnboy,
From what you describe, if the driver had hit his brakes he would have jackknifed and then there would have been a wreck.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 08:25 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

The NFL season kicks off on Sept 10th. For some 17 weeks folks will gather around the water coolers in their offices and rehash the games from Sunday.
You, yes you, will stand there with a sh*t-eating frozen grin, unable to say anything remotely intelligent.
We are here to help you!
For the 6th season, I say for the 6th season, you can painlessly get involved in the NFL by predicting the winners of each week's games. It will take about 5 minutes a week. Right here on A2K. No need to register on Yahoo Sports or ESPN. Right here. How easy is that?
How does it work?
Each week, on Tuesdays, the schedule will be posted. It might read:
Washington Redskins @ Atlanta Falcons
NY Giants @ Detroit Lions
etc through about 16 games.
All you have to do is post a response on A2K with your picks:
Skins
Lions
Some stuff goes on at the end with regard to tiebreakers, but it is not at all cumbersome, I assure you.
There are a few rules, mostly about getting picks in on time, but they have been frequently waived. No one takes this game too seriously.
In between the picking and the games, there often is idle chatter. We have talked about belly dancing (from Canada) and inserting an arm into a cow (from a large animal vet).
22 players last year, 6 the 1st.
Let me know if you are interested so I can assign you a column in the score card.

Bump
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:36 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I know this is early, but here is the Schedule for Week #1:

Thursday, 9/10:
Tennessee (13-3 in 2008 regular season) @ Pittsburgh (12-4)
Sunday, 9/13 - Early games:
Miami (11-5) @ Atlanta (11-5)
Denver (8-8) @ Cincinnati (4-11-1)
Minnesota (10-6) @ Cleveland (4-12)
Jacksonville (5-11) @ Indianapolis (12-4)
Detroit (0-16) @ New Orleans (8-8)
Dallas (9-7) @ Tampa Bay (9-7)
Philadelphia (9-6-1) @ Carolina (12-4)
Kansas City (2-14) @ Baltimore (11-5)
NY Jets (9-7) @ Houston (8-8)
Sunday, 9/14 - Late games:
Washington (8-8) @ NY Giants (12-4)
San Francisco (7-9) @ Arizona (9-7)
St Louis (2-14) @ Seattle (4-12)
Sunday, 9/14 - Night game:
Chicago (9-7) @ Green Bay (6-10)
Monday, 9/15:
Buffalo (7-9) @ New England (11-5)
San Diego (8-8) @ Oakland (5-11)

Please indicate which team will win AND please remember to predict the final score in the last game between San Diego and Oakland. Picks for ALL
the games are due by kickoff of the game between Tennessee and Pittsburgh on Thursday, 9/10. You can change your picks. I ask that you clearly make it obvious you are making a CHANGE.

bump
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:44 pm
@realjohnboy,
Hi, folks. I'm still in computer exile, so I just caught this. Sign me up, any column will be fine.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:49 pm
16 folks have now indicated an interest in playing: Edgar, Jespah, Region, Wandeljw, McGentrix, Ehbeth, George, Johnboy, LionTamerX, Mysteryman, Tico, Fox, ElStud, Ragman, Osso and Imur.
Imur (from Ireland) sent me a pm saying he would "look for the thread." Perhaps someone could guide him in.

There is no requirement that players pre-register here. Anyone interested merely needs to pick the winners in the games listed above.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 04:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
Well we definitely need Cowdoc and Ms Cowdoc - best way to guide Imur in RJB is to copy and paste this link into a PM to Imur.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 05:00 pm
If the Texans play any regular season games the way they played against NO a few nights ago, I will be getting my head measured for a paper bag to wear.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 08:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
On the other hand, the Cowboys did themselves proud in their debut in their brand new stadium this past week.