Ha, Ha. It's Back! The A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

fbaezer

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 02:23 pm
@InfraBlue,
Diehard Bostonians think the Saints got "lucky" Laughing .
They happen to be the best team at this moment.
George

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 02:28 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

Diehard Bostonians think the Saints got "lucky" Laughing .
They happen to be the best team at this moment.

Bostonians have three passions: politics, sports and revenge.
Acceptance of reality has little to do with any of those.
0 Replies

Abel Conklin

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 02:30 pm
I have been examining all the NFL teams and I have come to the conclusion that the Minnesota Vikings are the best team right now. The Saints are close and the Colts offer argument, but, when we speak of balance and power..... the Purple reign supreme.
panzade

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 02:33 pm
@fbaezer,
Quote:
Saints got "lucky

They must not have watched the game. Brady had his "stressed" face on. They ain't the Aints anymore
0 Replies

Abel Conklin

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 02:38 pm
The Saints are a good team but have yet to face a ferocious pass rush. I await that day.
George

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 02:58 pm
@Abel Conklin,
Abel Conklin wrote:

The Saints are a good team but have yet to face a ferocious pass rush. I await that day.

It may be necessary to wait for the post-season.
0 Replies

Miz Cowdoc

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 04:42 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thursday Buffalo
Back to work. .... rest later.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 05:04 pm
@Abel Conklin,
Hi, Abel. Thanks for stopping by this thread. If you go back a page here you will find the schedule for the 16 games that begin tonight. You are invited to join the 27 folks here who attempt to pick the winners.
It is too late in the season for you to be eligible to win any of the valuable prizes awarded here, but you are welcome to play.
panzade

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 05:25 pm
http://www.bripblap.com/uploads/jets_logo.jpg
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 05:28 pm
@panzade,
I think Pan is picking the Jets.
So all 27 of us are in but a bunch of yall need to finish your picks before kickoff of the Sunday games.
Thanks.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 06:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
It is too late in the season for you to be eligible to win any of the valuable prizes awarded here, but you are welcome to play.

Yeah Abel. Anybody can talk about it as if they are experts. Let's see you do it.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 08:00 pm
@Abel Conklin,
Abel Conklin wrote:

I have been examining all the NFL teams and I have come to the conclusion that the Minnesota Vikings are the best team right now. The Saints are close and the Colts offer argument, but, when we speak of balance and power..... the Purple reign supreme.

You from Minnesota, Abel?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 09:20 pm
If CB Darrelle Reevis can contain T.O. the rest of the way I think the Jets will pull it out.
panzade

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 10:10 pm
@panzade,
My man Revis!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 10:14 pm
@panzade,
Oh, well..
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 12:34 am
@panzade,
Well, holy crap! Off to yet another rousing start. At least I'm in Sonoma County, California, sampling a rather wide assortment of fine wines. Eases the pain of screwing up my picks, at least at little.
spendius

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 04:16 am
@CowDoc,
And I, albeit a little prematurely, have become joint leader in the standings.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:02 am
In the way of showing that this thread can hold its intellectual head up on A2K I submit the following thoughts which were placed on the record by that sublime American professor of economics Thorstein Veblen over 100 years ago--

Quote:
College athletics afford a case in point. It is contended by exponents of the devout element in college life -- and there seems to be no ground for disputing the claim -- that the desirable athletic material afforded by any student body in this country is at the same time predominantly religious; or that it is at least given to devout observances to a greater degree than the average of those students whose interest in athletics and other college sports is less. This is what might be expected on theoretical grounds. It may be remarked, by the way, that from one point of view this is felt to reflect credit on the college sporting life, on athletic games, and on those persons who occupy themselves with these matters. It happens not infrequently that college sporting men devote themselves to religious propaganda, either as a vocation or as a by-occupation; and it is observable that when this happens they are likely to become propagandists of some one of the more anthropomorphic cults. In their teaching they are apt to insist chiefly on the personal relation of status which subsists between an anthropomorphic divinity and the human subject.

It is from Chapter 12 (Devout Observances) of The Theory of the Leisure Class.

That chapter, and the previous one, The Belief in Luck, suggests that the atheistic, materialist temperment might derive from being no good at sport in early life which might well cause energies to be diverted down the swotting route.

There is no denying that NFL is suffused in forms of devout observance in relation to shrines, temples, vestments, sacrifice, insignia, worship, attire and ceremonials involving complex, formal rituals of long standing.

The liberal, atheistic materialist temperment is entirely inconsistent with the sporting proclivity and, if one was to stretch the argument, one might speculate that liberal attacks on devout observances are attacks on the sporting element in society presumably in the service of preventing sportsmen from pulling all the best looking chicks. An obvious non-starter from the evolutionist point of view.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:35 am
@spendius,
I, an atheist and liberal, have always been athletic. Even at 67, I can run and jump and whatever. Don't feed that bullshit.
spendius

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:10 am
@edgarblythe,
Individual and exceptional cases such as yourself Ed prove nothing.

Sport has nothing to do with running and jumping. It has to do with predatory competition with which the NFL, both commentators and participants, are lyrically enraptured. A fair number of the NFL players look as if running and jumping is well nigh impossible.

A properly consistent atheistic materialism in the commentators would quickly finish off the NFL. When Huxley envisages Obstacle Golf in Brave New World there is no sense of competiveness. It is mere activity.

Might I suggest you read the two chapters of Veblen that I referred to rather than simply tossing off your easy "bullshit" cliche. It is on the Net.
0 Replies