Ha, Ha. It's Back! The A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

panzade

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 08:14 pm
@ElStudHoncho,
You're alright...for a Cowboy

http://www.fremontdie.com/images/NFL%20Products/MagnetsNFL/12%20Inch%20Magnets/RedskinsRetroSpearHelmet%20Magnet.jpg

http://www.redskinscheerleaderalumni.org/photos/team_photos/1962squad.jpg
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 09:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
bump...& I added a bit
realjohnboy wrote:

The NFL season kicks off on Sept 10th. For some 17 weeks folks will gather around the water coolers in their offices and rehash the games from Sunday.
You, yes you, will stand there with a sh*t-eating frozen grin, unable to say anything remotely intelligent.
We are here to help you!
We will make it possible for you to say "I knew that (insert team here) would (win/lose)." Folks will marvel at your knowledge of the NFL. We perhaps will feed you some trivia about a certain play so folks will think you actually watched games. How awesome is that?
For the 6th season, I say for the 6th season, you can painlessly get involved in the NFL by predicting the winners of each week's games. It will take about 5 minutes a week. Right here on A2K. No need to register on Yahoo Sports or ESPN. Right here. How easy is that?
How does it work?
Each week, on Tuesdays, the schedule will be posted. It might read:
Washington Redskins @ Atlanta Falcons
NY Giants @ Detroit Lions
etc through about 16 games.
All you have to do is post a response on A2K with your picks:
Skins
Lions
Some stuff goes on at the end with regard to tiebreakers, but it is not at all cumbersome, I assure you.
There are a few rules, mostly about getting picks in on time, but they have been frequently waived. No one takes this game too seriously.
In between the picking and the games, there often is idle chatter. We have talked about belly dancing (from Canada) and inserting an arm into a cow (from a large animal vet).
22 players last year, 6 the 1st.
Let me know if you are interested so I can assign you a column in the score card.

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 09:19 pm
@realjohnboy,
Before the swine flu kicks in and kills us all, please make your picks. No hurry, actually. 9/10 is the deadline.
realjohnboy wrote:

I know this is early, but here is the Schedule for Week #1:

Thursday, 9/10:
Tennessee (13-3 in 2008 regular season) @ Pittsburgh (12-4)
Sunday, 9/13 - Early games:
Miami (11-5) @ Atlanta (11-5)
Denver (8-8) @ Cincinnati (4-11-1)
Minnesota (10-6) @ Cleveland (4-12)
Jacksonville (5-11) @ Indianapolis (12-4)
Detroit (0-16) @ New Orleans (8-8)
Dallas (9-7) @ Tampa Bay (9-7)
Philadelphia (9-6-1) @ Carolina (12-4)
Kansas City (2-14) @ Baltimore (11-5)
NY Jets (9-7) @ Houston (8-8)
Sunday, 9/14 - Late games:
Washington (8-8) @ NY Giants (12-4)
San Francisco (7-9) @ Arizona (9-7)
St Louis (2-14) @ Seattle (4-12)
Sunday, 9/14 - Night game:
Chicago (9-7) @ Green Bay (6-10)
Monday, 9/15:
Buffalo (7-9) @ New England (11-5)
San Diego (8-8) @ Oakland (5-11)

Please indicate which team will win AND please remember to predict the final score in the last game between San Diego and Oakland. Picks for ALL
the games are due by kickoff of the game between Tennessee and Pittsburgh on Thursday, 9/10. You can change your picks. I ask that you clearly make it obvious you are making a CHANGE.

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 03:43 am
@realjohnboy,
That's what I love about this topic -- it's the optimism that permeates it.
CowDoc

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 07:31 am
@jespah,
Hey, rjb! The Miz and I are alive and well, although busier than a cat covering...well, you can fill in the blank. Count me in for sure, and I'll ask the miz to commit after she drags her butt out of bed for the day. See ya soon!
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:30 am
@CowDoc,
Howdy, CD ... say "howdy" to the Miz for me.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:58 am
@CowDoc,
Howdy to you and the Ms from us too Cowdoc
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:10 pm
@CowDoc,
Quote:
although busier than a cat covering...well, you can fill in the blank.
can't decide... http://www.letterneversent.com/meme-busier-than-a/1620/
0 Replies

Miz Cowdoc

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:02 pm
@realjohnboy,
Please except my return this year. (hope I'm not in the bottom of the pile this year.)
Miz CowDoc
panzade

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:10 pm
@Miz Cowdoc,
you mean at the bottom of a cow pile?
Miz Cowdoc

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:16 pm
@panzade,
Naw thats a cow pie. Just the bottom of the heap like last year. I just read what the Doc said about me being in bed. Well , I have to admit I did sleep in alittle this morning. Just till 8:30. We don't want to be to early to work do we?
panzade

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:28 pm
@Miz Cowdoc,
great to have you back
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 06:30 pm
Indeed. Welcome back, Mr and Miz Cowdoc, We now have more players from Salmon, Idaho then from Chicago, and almost as many as from Alb or Boston.
19 folks have indicated that they intend to play. I am shamelessly trolling for about a half dozen more whom I have targeted. There have been some 835 views of this thread, so I am confident that there are more folks out there interested in playing.
Please feel free to join us. We would love to have you.
maporsche

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:11 pm
@realjohnboy,
Make that 20 RJB....thanks for the 'trolling'.

+1 to the Chicago group.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

but Pittsburgh is always #1 with me.

Grrrr...... I've never been a Stealers (mis-spelling very intentional) fan, but I never hated them either, until the damned Zebra's gave the Stealers the championship in Super Bowl XL over my beloved Seahawks. The damn memory still gets me in a pissed off mood.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 01:28 pm
Here are the selections made by "Clubber" for Week #1:
Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Denver
Minnesota
Jacksonville
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Philadelphia
Baltimore
New York Jets
New York Giants
Arizona
St Louis
Chicago
New England
San Diego (28-3)

"Clubber" is Andy. He is an employee of mine and the lead singer in a band that started out as goth/industrial but has now morphed into what he describes as alternative rock. He writes a lot when they are on the road and has recently had his 1st novel published. His 2nd one is in the hands now of his publisher.
They will be touring this fall - mostly on the west coast I think. He follows football closely and said he will try to remember to post his picks.
There is a video of him at a Barnes and Noble doing a reading from "Sticks."
You can also see him performing with the band by clicking "video" on his website. The cover of Earth Angel is a bit of a hoot. www.bellamorte.com
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 01:41 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

but Pittsburgh is always #1 with me.

Grrrr...... I've never been a Stealers (mis-spelling very intentional) fan, but I never hated them either, until the damned Zebra's gave the Stealers the championship in Super Bowl XL over my beloved Seahawks. The damn memory still gets me in a pissed off mood.

Ya gotta roll with it when these things happen. I recall an Oilers/Steelers game, in which Rob Carpenter caught a touchdown pass, but the officials robbed the Oilers of the touchdown. The Steelers went on to win and thus secure a berth in the Superbowl. But I don't blame the Steelers. It was the officiating.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 12:57 pm
@realjohnboy,

realjohnboy wrote:

The NFL season kicks off on Sept 10th. For some 17 weeks folks will gather around the water coolers in their offices and rehash the games from Sunday.
You, yes you, will stand there with a sh*t-eating frozen grin, unable to say anything remotely intelligent.
We are here to help you!
We will make it possible for you to say "I knew that (insert team here) would (win/lose)." Folks will marvel at your knowledge of the NFL. We perhaps will feed you some trivia about a certain play so folks will think you actually watched games. How awesome is that?
For the 6th season, I say for the 6th season, you can painlessly get involved in the NFL by predicting the winners of each week's games. It will take about 5 minutes a week. Right here on A2K. No need to register on Yahoo Sports or ESPN. Right here. How easy is that?
How does it work?
Each week, on Tuesdays, the schedule will be posted. It might read:
Washington Redskins @ Atlanta Falcons
NY Giants @ Detroit Lions
etc through about 16 games.
All you have to do is post a response on A2K with your picks:
Skins
Lions
Some stuff goes on at the end with regard to tiebreakers, but it is not at all cumbersome, I assure you.
There are a few rules, mostly about getting picks in on time, but they have been frequently waived. No one takes this game too seriously.
In between the picking and the games, there often is idle chatter. We have talked about belly dancing (from Canada) and inserting an arm into a cow (from a large animal vet).
22 players last year, 6 the 1st.
Let me know if you are interested so I can assign you a column in the score card.

We are now up to 21 players having indicated an interest in playing. There is plenty of room for more of yall to join in.
I say again that knowledge of the NFL is not at ALL required to play and have fun here. Join us rather than just watching from the sidelines.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 01:06 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yup. If you are as rotten at analyzing team strengths as I am, a Ouiji board or dart board works great. And has netted me a top spot in picks a week or two too. Smile
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 09:04 pm
The new tight sisal dartboard is ready for action. Throw line only three feet away.

I am in.