Ha, Ha. It's Back! The A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 09:14 pm
@alex240101,
Alex gets slot #23 which is on the 2nd page of my scorecard!
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 11:19 am
@realjohnboy,

http://www.greenbaby.co.uk/im/gr/BT032.jpg ......... http://www.foxnews.com/images/457166/3_61_scotch_tape.jpg
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 01:18 pm
@realjohnboy,
I checked the Irish Times but couldn't find any coverage of this "pre-season" lark so I sez what the heck, may as well pick 'um now.

Tennessee
Atlanta
Denver
Minnesota
Indianapolis
New Orleans
Dallas
Carolina
Baltimore
NY Jets
NY Giants
Arizona
Seattle
Chicago
New England
San Diego 24-15

0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 05:44 pm
I'm in.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 11:39 am
My Picks for Week #1

Pittsburgh

Atlanta
Cincinnati
Minnesota
Indianapolis
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Carolina
Baltimore
NY Jets

NY Giants
Arizona
Seattle

Chicago

New England
San Diego (final score of 20 - 10)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 11:54 am
@Miz Cowdoc,
Hiya, T! It's good to see your name popping up on the thread.

Ok, rjb -- I'm in. I can keep MizDoc company at the bottom of the heap.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 11:55 am
@realjohnboy,
(wonders if she ever picked a final score)
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 11:58 am
@ehBeth,
no, you did not pick a final score, yet.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 12:10 pm
@realjohnboy,
okey dokey artichokey

24 - 7

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 03:18 pm
Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Cincinnati
Minnesota
Indianapolis
N.O.
Dallas
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Houston
NY Giants
ARIZONA
Seattle
Green Bay
New England

San Diego, 31-17
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 04:47 pm
Okay, the Ouiji board is in the shop, but I used my little ball thingee that you ask questions and the answer floats to the little window in the top. Here is what it picked:

Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Cincinnati
Minnesota
Indianapolis
New Orleans
Dallas
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Houston
Washington
Arizona
Seattle
Green Bay
New England
San Diego will beat the Chargers 24/17
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 04:53 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

bump...& I ADDED a bit more
realjohnboy wrote:

The NFL season kicks off on Sept 10th, JUST 1 WEEK FROM TOMORROW! For some 17 weeks folks will gather around the water coolers in their offices and rehash the games from Sunday.
You, yes you, will stand there with a sh*t-eating frozen grin, unable to say anything remotely intelligent.
We are here to help you!
We will make it possible for you to say "I knew that (insert team here) would (win/lose)." Folks will marvel at your knowledge of the NFL. We perhaps will feed you some trivia about a certain play so folks will think you actually watched games. How awesome is that?
For the 6th season, I say for the 6th season, you can painlessly get involved in the NFL by predicting the winners of each week's games. It will take about 5 minutes a week. Right here on A2K. No need to register on Yahoo Sports or ESPN. Right here. How easy is that?
How does it work?
Each week, on Tuesdays, the schedule will be posted. It might read:
Washington Redskins @ Atlanta Falcons
NY Giants @ Detroit Lions
etc through about 16 games.
All you have to do is post a response on A2K with your picks:
Skins
Lions
Some stuff goes on at the end with regard to tiebreakers, but it is not at all cumbersome, I assure you.
There are a few rules, mostly about getting picks in on time, but they have been frequently waived. No one takes this game too seriously.
In between the picking and the games, there often is idle chatter. We have talked about belly dancing (from Canada) and inserting an arm into a cow (from a large animal vet).
22 players last year, 6 the 1st. THERE IS NO NEED TO PRE-REGISTER. You can decide to join in anytime before the kick-off of the 1st game on Thursday, Sept 10th. But I would appreciate it if you would let me know if you are interested so I can assign you a column in the score card.
RIGHT NOW we are up to 24 players with another having hung around enough to be probable.

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

There is no risk in posting your picks early. If something happens prior to the week's games starting, you can simply indicate a change in what you think the outcome will be. No problem.
realjohnboy wrote:

Here is the Schedule for Week #1:

Thursday, 9/10:
Tennessee (13-3 in 2008 regular season) @ Pittsburgh (12-4)
Sunday, 9/13 - Early games:
Miami (11-5) @ Atlanta (11-5)
Denver (8-8) @ Cincinnati (4-11-1)
Minnesota (10-6) @ Cleveland (4-12)
Jacksonville (5-11) @ Indianapolis (12-4)
Detroit (0-16) @ New Orleans (8-8)
Dallas (9-7) @ Tampa Bay (9-7)
Philadelphia (9-6-1) @ Carolina (12-4)
Kansas City (2-14) @ Baltimore (11-5)
NY Jets (9-7) @ Houston (8-8)
Sunday, 9/14 - Late games:
Washington (8-8) @ NY Giants (12-4)
San Francisco (7-9) @ Arizona (9-7)
St Louis (2-14) @ Seattle (4-12)
Sunday, 9/14 - Night game:
Chicago (9-7) @ Green Bay (6-10)
Monday, 9/15:
Buffalo (7-9) @ New England (11-5)
San Diego (8-8) @ Oakland (5-11)

Please indicate which team will win AND please remember to predict the final score in the last game between San Diego and Oakland. Picks for ALL
the games are due by kickoff of the game between Tennessee and Pittsburgh on Thursday, 9/10. You can change your picks. I ask that you clearly make it obvious you are making a CHANGE.

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:04 pm
@Foxfyre,
I may be wrong, Fox, but I believe the San Diego Chargers play the Oakland Raiders. Please revisit that pick.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:52 pm
Up on the NW edge of my property, perhaps 60 yards from my house is this little building. I don't know who built it, when or why. It is made of cinderblock and measures about 8x12' with a tin roof. It is too small to be have been a garage.
I carved out a couple of windows and put in a simple wooded floor. I was able to get electricity there.
We have had absolutely awesome weather the last couple of days in the mountains of Virginia. A probably false-fall. High temps in the mid-70's. Lows at nights in the mid-50's.
I opened the windows and the screen door the night before last to air it out after a summer of disuse. And this afternoon I moved a computer in. I plugged in the little refrigerator and I went to Kroger and bought a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon, a couple boxes of Ritz Crackers and a few cans of Cheez-Whiz.
The A2K NFL studio is ready for business!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:53 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Up on the NW edge of my property, perhaps 60 yards from my house is this little building. I don't know who built it, when or why. It is made of cinderblock and measures about 8x12' with a tin roof. It is too small to be have been a garage.
I carved out a couple of windows and put in a simple wooded floor. I was able to get electricity there.
We have had absolutely awesome weather the last couple of days in the mountains of Virginia. A probably false-fall. High temps in the mid-70's. Lows at nights in the mid-50's.
I opened the windows and the screen door the night before last to air it out after a summer of disuse. And this afternoon I moved a computer in. I plugged in the little refrigerator and I went to Kroger and bought a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon, a couple boxes of Ritz Crackers and a few cans of Cheez-Whiz.
The A2K NFL studio is ready for business!

You offering a free week's stay in the cabin to the winner? Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 06:23 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I may be wrong, Fox, but I believe the San Diego Chargers play the Oakland Raiders. Please revisit that pick.

Hmmm. They aren't playing themselves? Embarrassed Well, okay, if you're gonna be picky substitute Oakland for the Chargers but San Diego will still win and I think I have the score pretty close.
0 Replies

ElStudHoncho

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 09:23 pm
Week #1:

Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Denver
Minnesota
Indianapolis
New Orleans
Dallas
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Houston
NY Giants
Arizona
Seattle
Chicago
New England
San Diego 31 Oakland 17
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 04:32 pm
Kick-off for the 1st game is now just a week away!
We have 24 or 25 players so far. 22 are from the U.S. plus a player each from Canada, Mexico and Ireland. 6 ladies.
12 of us have already made our picks for the 1st week. There are 2 games in which we all agree. There are 4 games in which there is only one player out of step.
Which reminds me of when I was in Army training at Ft Lost in the Woods, MO in 1968. We were marching somewhere and the drill sgt screamed in my face: "You are out of step." "No, drill sgt," I replied, "everyone else is out of step." To my amazement, he laughed.

There is plenty of time for new players or old players to join us as we march forward for the 17 NFL weekends here on A2K. Step right in.
spendius

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 05:03 pm
@realjohnboy,
Have you got special access to pre-Homeric scriptures rjb.

It really is that old.