Ha, Ha. It's Back! The A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 06:23 pm
@realjohnboy,
Oakland won, on top of all the other baleful news.

Holds breath to eek out more than .500...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 07:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
... and a bunch of us in the Seattle game. So it goes. ...

Arizona had a better record coming in, and they're the defending NFC champs ... it was the Arizona game, RJB.

Go Cards!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 07:40 pm
@JPB,
Re Chiefs: me, too.

Though, I think 3 times before changing after I post. I'm wrong 75%-80% of the time when I switch.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 07:43 pm
@Ragman,
I did post for the Chiefs first, and changed. I knew the consequences from watching changes in the past. Slowly the bell knolls, don't do that, don't do that.
Ragman

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 07:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I even went so far as to write myself a note to change to Chiefs when I got home. Didn't do it.

What a bunch of upsets there were today.
Note to self: never bet against Vikes or Brett Favre.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 08:03 pm
@Ragman,
You sure?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 11:13 am
The Ravens-Vikes game reminded me why, against the evidence that most of the game is played with the hands, it is called football.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 12:21 pm
One game to go in Week #6. Rhyss is at 10-3 and has Denver tonight by a score of 20-13. Region, George, Clubber and Panzade are at 9-4 and are also picking Denver. So they cannot gain. McGentrix is 9-4 and he has Seattle (27-24). A Seattle win would get him into a tie.
spendius

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 12:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
What surprised me watching the Giants/Saints game was the enthusiasm of the crowd when the home team was getting stuffed with Brees's throwing. Home crowds here start moping when their team are behind.

Do they not do close-ups of members of the crowd? Crowd shots at cricket are an important aspect of the TV production. Especially in hot weather. They show old dears knitting and young ones displaying their charms whilst reading Ovid or Max Panck. And kids crying.

I'll ask again--what's a time out? Also how long is the field?
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 01:13 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
What surprised me watching the Giants/Saints game was the enthusiasm of the crowd when the home team was getting stuffed with Brees's throwing. Home crowds here start moping when their team are behind.

The home team was never behind. NO was up 14-0 when NY scored its first points of the game with a field goal with 3 seconds left in the first quarter.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/54547/NO_Gamebook.pdf

Quote:
Do they not do close-ups of members of the crowd? Crowd shots at cricket are an important aspect of the TV production. Especially in hot weather. They show old dears knitting and young ones displaying their charms whilst reading Ovid or Max Panck. And kids crying.

It irritates me when the TV production shows a lot of crowd shots ... I'm not watching to see how the crowd is reacting, I want to see the game.

Quote:
I'll ask again--what's a time out?

A timeout stops the clock -- not sure how long, but long enough for a commercial break. I think each team gets 3 per half. You lose one if you unsuccessfully challenge a call.

Quote:
Also how long is the field?

The field is 100 yards from end zone to endzone. Which is why the 50 yard marker is located at mid-field.
George

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 01:48 pm
Unlike soccer, the clock can stop in gridiron football. When the clock is
by request of a player or coach, that is a time-out. Each side gets to call up to
three timeouts per half. Sometimes the officials will call a timeout. Often this
is so commercials can be inserted, "TV timeouts". Incredibly annoying.

There's some strategy involved in picking when and if to call a timeout.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 01:53 pm
@Ticomaya,
I must have it wrong then Tico. I thought NYG were at home. It must be that daft habit you have of putting the away team first that has confused me. Dang garn it man--is there anything you won't do to be different?

Quote:
It irritates me when the TV production shows a lot of crowd shots ... I'm not watching to see how the crowd is reacting, I want to see the game.

The crowd are part of the game. Try it without a crowd.

It's pathos really. Be more tolerant of your fellow man Tico.
fbaezer

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 03:33 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I must have it wrong then Tico. I thought NYG were at home. It must be that daft habit you have of putting the away team first that has confused me. Dang garn it man--is there anything you won't do to be different?

I think this comes from baseball, where the home team bats after the visitors (and this gives the home team a -very slight- advantage).

Americans drive by the right side of the road, have their steering wheels at the left side of the car and don't measure weight in stones. In this, they do not differ from the majority.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 04:20 pm
Yeah, the refs get to call "official(s')" timeouts at anytime. Typically, it might be when there is an injury to a player or when they need to measure for a 1st down or review a decision. There is a traditional timeout 2 minutes before the end of the half and again before the end of the game. As noted, a lot of officials' timeouts are designed to accommodate television.
When I was in college my roommate was a ref for intramural soccer - mostly teams from fraternities. Scott asked me to be his timekeeper, with instructions to keep the clock running and signal him when time ran out. I think I took almost as much abuse as he did. Ball rolls under parked car: players scream at me: "Stop the clock , you *&@+..." I would look at Scott and he would make a clock-wise motion with his hand.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 04:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
Years ago I ran a large agency that, among other things, featured community volley ball leagues for folks who were out of school and for school kids who for whatever reason couldn't get on a school team. Our poor referees took such abysmal abuse, we finally established a thoroughly non regulation rule that any profanity directed at the referee would result in points taken away from your team.

That effectively stopped the abuse, and it was amazing how creative the players became in expressing their displeasure to the referees. Smile
spendius

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 04:51 pm
@Foxfyre,
There's a high profile case about that here at the moment Foxy.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 04:56 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

There's a high profile case about that here at the moment Foxy.

Which is...
spendius

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 04:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
Our No1 manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, aged 67, stands accused of bringing the game of Football into disrepute by publicly stating that a referee was unfit for the job.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 06:02 pm
@realjohnboy,
If Seattle wins tonight, I will petition to have the entire week declared invalid. The way I picked, that might not be such a bad idea regardless of the outcome in San Diego.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 08:20 pm
San Diego Chargers (20) - Denver Broncos (17) at half-time.
0 Replies