Ha, Ha. It's Back! The A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

Ragman

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 01:45 pm
@realjohnboy,
more of a hullabaloo perhaps...not quite chazerai. 2 Cents Wink
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 03:31 pm
@Rockhead,
Trust me when I say that no one ever has said that I had no sense of humor. However, I've been told I'm a bit thick at times.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 03:34 pm
@Ragman,
My humor is often so dry or misleading, people don't know how to react to it. Some actually accuse me of not being funny. But I'm funny to me anyway.
spendius

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 04:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
Have you tried pulling faces and posing in front of a full length mirror in your underpants Ed?

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 04:29 pm
Did Someone Miss a Flight?
The phone was ringing when I got home. I don't rush to answer the phone anymore. It is probably a bill collector or a telemarketer.
The phone rang again 5 minutes later. It was one of those recorded messages from a "wake-up-call" service you can subscribe to for $1 or so. I use it to get me up for the 6:15am flight out of Cville.
"It is 2:08 CT. Press 1 if you are awake. Press 2 if you want to snooze." This was at 1:08 ET. I hung up with no key being pressed.
The phone rang 5 minutes later. I pressed 1.
10 minutes later, same call. I pressed 1.
Repeated again.
JPB

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 04:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
Oh, man.... hope you get that sorted out before bedtime.

When I first read your post I thought it said, "Did Someone Miss a Fight?".

I was about to say, "Me, apparently."

Happy New Year, rjb.

Thanks for doing such an admirable job of running the football game this year.
lmur

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 04:51 pm
@JPB,
10.45 pm here so

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Off to open a bottle of bubbly (not far, seeing as I'm in the cellar already).

Many thanks rjb.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 04:56 pm
@spendius,
Neutral Hmm. No.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 05:49 pm
You have to laugh.

The pub was much changed tonight from the usual. I enquired and it seems that the fourth digit of the meter is about to clock up a round number.

I hope that the footballers in my picks are are in bed and getting their proper rest.

Can somebody explain to me why tits are only half out? It's neither one thing nor tuther.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 05:55 pm
@lmur,
Happy New Year, Lmur and Spendius. Yall are the 1st of us here to see 2010 and the new decade. Let us know how it looks.
spendius

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:16 pm
@realjohnboy,
It looks great. The London firework display was, as usual, something else.

A beautiful metaphor for the action in the ovarian tract when the intromitted ejaculate waps up against the facts of life.

And also a suitable ceremonial to celebrate the return of the VAT rate to 17.5% after the emergency reduction to 15% at the height of the panic.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:48 pm
According to a Rasmussen poll of adults, 63% of Americans will stay up until midnight. 50% will kiss someone at midnight and half of us will pray rather drink tonight.
No word on how many will pray for another drink.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 07:20 pm
I think it could be a generalization that our humor at a2k is generally on the dry side, and is often misinterpreted. I think we like it that way.

On the phone calls, I've been getting weird ones for quite a while and don't know what to do about it. Someone calls for one ring at, say, 5 of 5 a.m. Clearly someone waking another person up as a favor before work. But who? I never make it to the phone to see an identifying number.
You wonder why I am crabby..

Happy New Year, one and all.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 07:33 pm
Ok, I didn't look at ANYONE's picks; I wonder how the chips will fall.

DETROIT over Chicago
TAMPA BAY over Atlanta
BUFFALO over Indianapolis
CAROLINA over New Orleans
San Francisco over ST. LOUIS
HOUSTON over New England
MIAMI over Pittsburgh
CLEVELAND over Jacksonville
MINNESOTA over NY Giants
DALLAS over Philadelphia
Baltimore over OAKLAND
SEATTLE over Tennessee
DENVER over Kansas City
Green Bay over ARIZONA
SAN DIEGO over Washington
NY JETS over Cincinnati (30-14)
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 07:43 pm
@maporsche,
(thanks for the response, maporsche. i appreciate it).
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 08:20 pm
@realjohnboy,
spendius wrote:
A beautiful metaphor for the action in the ovarian tract when the intromitted ejaculate waps up against the facts of life.

Yes. Yes. Oh God. Yes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 08:30 pm
The ovarian tract? It must be bliss to be Spendi, snagged in a fallopian tube.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 07:45 am
@maporsche,
Thanks for the reminder, rjb. Once again, I lose track with all of the chatter.

Detroit
Atlanta
Indy
New Orleans
San Francisco
New England
Pittsburgh
Jacksonville
Minnesota
Philadelphia
Oakland
Tennessee
Denver
Green Bay
San Diego
NY Jets, 17 - 10

Thank you.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 08:06 am
Good morning. I will try to talk softly. Short sentences. No exclamation points.
We are missing picks from 5 players. But it is only Friday.
The top 4 players have picked. Oh, my:
McGentrix disagrees with Spendius on 5 games. He differs from Clubber on 4 and Maporsche on 6.
Spendius thinks differently from Clubber on 5 and Maporsche on 5.
Clubber and Maporsche disagree on 10.

Players, all players, can change picks up until kick-off of the 1st game.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 10:35 am
If I may digress. This may end up being a longish post.
This week will be the final week in the regular season A2K NFL Pick-Um Game.
Next weekend the NFL goes into a month of play-off games, with the Super Bowl Champion to be crowned Feb 7th.
We had a thread last year called Super Bowl XLIII...The Idiot's Guide.
The hook was that folks would choose through the playoff games in one posting of picks. There would be no need to come back each week to choose that week's game. Painless.
We had something like 25 players vs the 17 or so who played in the regular season pick-um game. I am shooting for 40 this year vs the 27 who play here.
It was a lot of fun with trash-talking and wanderings into Ash Wednesday customs and EhBeth's delightful remembrances of going to Sunday Mass, despite not being a Catholic, to ogle the handsome young hockey players.
This year's schedule:
Jan 9-10th - Wild Card Round
Jan 16-17th - Divisional Round
Jan 24th - Championship Round
Feb 7th - Super Bowl XLIV
Last year I started with the Divisional Round. I think that was because I didn't get around to setting the thing up.
The winner, of course, is the player who gets his/her team crowned after the Super Bowl.
But we also had a bit of a game within a game. I gave folks a point for a correct pick in the 1st round, 2 in the 2nd, 3 for getting a team into the Super Bowl and 5 for winning it. Something like that. I changed the 3 to a 4 in mid-game. I said I had a reason which I could explain if asked. No one asked so there is no record of my logic. I think it had to do with folks racking up points in an early round but not having any team advance beyond that.
Question #1...How many games will be played in the play-offs? I think 11, but I am not sure.
Question #2...How many points should be awarded in each round for a correct pick?
Last year, I got some nice assists from folks with narrative about who was still alive. That was appreciated.
I would like to get a new thread set up on Monday once the match-ups are determined.
Thanks.
0 Replies