Ha, Ha. It's Back! The A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

spendius

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 06:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
(things used to be much bloodier)

It is voluntary you know. Still- I'm sure the sensitive Christian ladies are pleased with the direction.

Somebody once said that if they put gladiators on prime time it would wipe out all the other games.

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 06:39 pm
From the BBC re a cricket match vs South Africa:
England captain Andrew Stauss "said he did not expect his team to be hanging on at the end...having been 169-3 at tea."
The match was a draw I believe.
Can you imagine NFL players mid-game stopping for tea?
panzade

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 06:43 pm
@realjohnboy,
Can you imagine a game taking 2 days?
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 09:11 pm
Looking good for Jespah. NY: 24; Wash: 0 ... at the half.
lmur

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 12:46 am
@panzade,
Five. Right down to the last ball on the last day. Faced by a man named Onions, no less.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 06:12 am
@realjohnboy,
Quote:

Test match cricketers play 5 days of about 6 hours with a 40 minute break for lunch and 20 minutes for tea. That match was played in 80 degrees and at altitude. The fast bowlers at 90 mph aim about 1 in 10 balls at the batsman's throat with it pitching not far in front of him in the dirt which can cause it to change direction horizontally and vertically as well as it swinging in the air due to only one side of the ball being polished.

Over to you Imur--the game is too complex for me to explain to NFL fans. Suffice to say that for toughness every other game pales into insignificance when compared to Test match cricket. It even needs intelligence.

It has no hiding places and every weakness will be exposed to view and barracked by drunken yobs.

The great victory in the American war of independence ensured that American manhood would never be tested with such severity and thus the toughness had to be talked up like in the movies.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 07:09 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I can't imagine very many NFL players surviving that long in a cricket match. They've got bulk, and they've got speed but they don't seem to be built for endurance.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 07:12 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
In Week #16, there is no Thursday game (Christmas Eve) but there is 1 on Christmas Day night followed by the games on Sunday and the 1 on Monday.

playing on Christmas day

I'm not sure whose families need to be more understanding - players or watchers.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 07:36 am
@realjohnboy,
W00p!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 08:28 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Suffice to say that for toughness every other game pales into insignificance when compared to Test match cricket.

You didn't expect us to believe that, did you?

Or were you speaking of the fans of Test match cricket? Yes, I can imagine that lot must be the toughest there is to be able to watch that crap for hours and hours.

From what I've seen of Test Match Cricket -- and trust me, it isn't that much -- there's a bit of sauntering, some loping after the ball that's been hit, casual tossing of the ball back to the infield, and a general, utter lack of urgency.

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 11:11 am
@Ticomaya,
There is also a surfeit of alcohol.
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 11:14 am
@farmerman,
Here is a test match from Surry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li5yYstabWQ
spendius

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 02:02 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
You didn't expect us to believe that, did you?

Or were you speaking of the fans of Test match cricket? Yes, I can imagine that lot must be the toughest there is to be able to watch that crap for hours and hours.

From what I've seen of Test Match Cricket -- and trust me, it isn't that much -- there's a bit of sauntering, some loping after the ball that's been hit, casual tossing of the ball back to the infield, and a general, utter lack of urgency.

I did expect you to believe it Tico. I'm known for my integrity. And all the rest of you jolly sportsmen and sportsladies who are happy to see Jespah win this week and, incidentally, her choice coinciding with mine, maintaining my No1 spot in the standings which are, after all, the main event, just as the Superbowl is the main event in that type of football which has had a fairly extreme form of the division of labour principle applied to it in the service of currency transaction acceleration which is, as you might know, foot-on-the-gas style, like in NASCAR, or at least until one of the pistons starts clanking.

The whole point is that it's "crap". If you are going to pay to watch crap it is posher to watch the real thing. Many a Secretary of State has decamped to Lord's to "clear his head". It's only a short ride from the ministry building. It is deemed uncouth to get excited.

And all that "sauntering" and "loping" gives people time to get their bets on about what happens next ball subdivided into no-ball, number of runs, dot ball, wicket, subdivided into bowled, caught, run-out, hit-wicket, stumped, leg before, same for next over, next anything you can think of and it creates a crescendo of energy for when the action flashes past. At the point where the 90 mph ball hits the dirt all eleven fielders are at their peak. If their concentration is momentarily wandering and their heels are on the ground they might be a split-second late on a chance to catch a batsman who goes on to make a double-hundred and causes them to be in the field all day in the heat and humidity or the cold east winds waiting for the next one which probably never comes. And after nearly two days in the field then having to go in to bat the last hour of the 2nd day out in fading light against two fast bowlers who have had their feet up all the while their colleagues have been amassing 680 for 4 declared and the crowd are roaring on and if the first ball hits them on the face mask in cold blood and spins them round the crowd sense the blood and after the application of the smelling salts and helmet repairs or replacements they have to get up and there's 58 more minutes left and getting out on top of the dropped catch and your place in the side is being questioned in all the papers. It's no place for sauntering and loping. And if you last the hour it's into an ice bath and off to bed because the two fast bowlers were only limbering up the previous evening. And the ball is still pretty hard.

It's your lack of appreciation of cricket Tico just as it was mine of the NFL. Not that I ever underestimated the NFL. I know that if there are $$$$$$$$ on the line the guys who play whatever game it is are ****-hot. Sportsmen play whatever game suits them best of the choices available. Somebody else designed the game. Evolution designed cricket and just as we tinker with plants and animals we tinker with that. It was something to do with unmarried women to begin with.

And cricket commentaries are streets ahead of everything in the field.

What a scientifically minded anthropologist makes of it Lord only knows. And an evolutionist must be completely dumbfounded. A sociologist would count the takings and a psychologist would draw attention to the combination of in form brute force and swift darting sting.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 02:19 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Here is a test match from Surry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li5yYstabWQ

Pure drivel. Made for nerds. Footlights Club instead of rugby or rowing blues. Dressing up for theatricals, sometimes as women, enough to raise eyebrows, and spouting cliched innuendoes about potty training and undergarments.

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 03:10 pm
Week #15 was the 3rd worst for us as a group. We finished at .578 just ahead of the .574 we managed in Week #10 and the .551 we scored in Week #2.
Jespah did splendidly, going 12-4. She missed in 3 of the games most of us also got wrong, picking the Saints, Broncos and Denver. She also had the Bears.
Clubber quietly finished at 11-5 followed, at 10-6, by George, Region, Liontamerx, Tico, Cowdoc, Miz Cowdoc, Maporsche, McGentrix and Spendius.
At 9-7: Lmur, Edgar, Mysteryman, Osso, Ragman, Fox, Johnboy and Panzade. JPinMilw missed picking 1 game and ended at 9-6.
Alex, Wandeljw, JPB and EhBeth broke even at 8-8.
Fbaezer and Rhyss came in 7-9.
ElStud didn't pick. I hope he comes back in Week #16.

The best ESPN picker went 11-5 while the worst was 8-8.

panzade

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 03:22 pm
Congrats Jes...tuff week
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 04:01 pm
STANDINGS AFTER 15 WEEKS:
1) Spendius (158-66 .705) maintains his 1 game lead.
2) McGentrix 157-67 .700) keeps pace and holds a share of 2nd.
2) Clubber climbs into a tie for 2nd.
4) Maporsche (156-68 .696) slips from 3rd.
5) Pansade (154-70 .687) holds onto 5th but fall another game back.
6) Johnboy (153-71 .683) keeps 6th.
7) Miz Cowdoc (150-74 .669) moves up a notch.
8) Cowdoc (149-75 .665) rises from 11th and now is 1 game behind the Miz.
8) Fox keeps a share of 8th.
8) Ragman does the same.
11) ElStud (138-70 .663) misses the week but moves up from 12th.
12) Tico (148-76 .6607) remains in 12th.
13) EhBeth (138-71 .6603) slumps from 7th.
14) JPinMilw (137-71 .658) picks up 1 spot.
15) Osso (147-77 ,656) slides 3 from 12th.
15) Liontamerx moves up 1.
15) Region matches that.
18) Fbaezer (142-82 .633) goes neither up nor down.
18) Rhyss equals that non-move.
20) Mysteryman (141-83 .629) stays where he was.
21) JPB (140-84 .625) drops from .625.
22) Jespah (139-85 .620) gains only 1 spot despite the fine week.
23) Wandeljw (138-86 .616) slips from 22nd.
24) George (137-87 .611) rises by 1.
25) Alex (135-89 .602) loses 2 spots.
26) Edgar (134-90 .598) hangs onto 26th.
27) Lmur (133-91 .593) is still in 27th but has a chance to escape the cellar.

The best ESPN guy is at .678 which would again leave him in 7th. The worst, at .647 would be in 18th.
jespah

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 04:05 pm
@panzade,
Thank you. I will now go pick the lottery numbers.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 04:21 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

In Week #16, there is no Thursday game (Christmas Eve) but there is 1 on Christmas Day night followed by the games on Sunday and the 1 on Monday.

WEEK #16...
Fri 12/25:
San Diego @ Tennessee
Sun 12/27 - early:
Buffalo @ Atlanta
Kansas City @ Cincinnati
Oakland @ Cleveland
Seattle @ Green Bay
Houston @ Miami
Baltimore @ Pittsburgh
Carolina @ NY Giants
Jacksonville @ New England